Need a Windows XP network guru...............

Cut-Throat said:
The problem is that I can no longer share files and the printer between the Laptop and Desktop. The desktop used to be plugged in directly into the DSL router, but now is plugged into another router with more ports and this router is plugged into the DSL Router (which is also wireless, that the laptop connects to)

Not a guru but a good guess is that you are on two separate nets. The DSL router does what is called network translation -- taking your routable IP address and offering new private addresses (probably something like 10.10.x.x) to the PCs connected to it on the LAN side. It is also offering wireless 10.10 addresses (which is probably what your laptop connects to). The other router picks up a 10.10.address from the DSL router and translates to 192.168.x.x addresses which it offers up to whatever connects to it on its LAN ports. Your desktop picks up a 192.168 address.

There is probably some way to connect back up through the router but I forget how. It would make more sense to just make sure the wireless is picking up its address from the same router as the desktop. If both routers have wireless you should have two networks to connect to. Check the IP address on the desktop (run ipconfig) and make sure the laptop connects to the right net.

In the router "behind" the main router, look for something to turn off like "SPI packet inspection" or "SPI packet filter" or "turn bridging mode on" or "Turn NAT off". Problem is everything behind the secondary router looks like its on one network and everything in front of it looks like "the internet" to that router. So the secondary router in line is 'protecting' the pc's behind it, thinking the pc's 'in front' of it are on 'the internet'. You want to convert that router into a bridge and/or turn off any packet inspection or firewall functions off. You might also replace that router with a hub/switch instead, if you cant 'convert' the secondary router to a bridge.

Whats the model #'s of the two routers, and can you sort of draw a picture of whats connected to what via what?

OK, here is a crude drawing. I have tried a few different things via some PM's to me and so far I cannot get this to work. Tried plugging in the router to router connection to another LAN port instead of the WAN. Disabled DHCP. Used a Crossover Cable.

I may just go out and Buy a Wireless "G" modem and configure the laptop to use it, along with the Desktops. Right now my Linksys Modem is a Wireless "B".

RouterDrawing.jpg

Crap, I thought I replied to this earlier but I dont see the response :p

There are a lot of options in the linksys unit that might bear fruit, i saw one on the security tab about responding to WAN requests, but nothing that looked to make it into a true 'bridge'.

How about just replacing that linksys router with a 4 or 5 port hub or switch plugged into the actiontec dsl modem?

If you're going to buy a new router, after the D-link 524 fiasco I bought this one and I realllly like it. A lot of features for $41.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833156175

I figured out the problem.

Attachments

• WineInterference.jpg
    WineInterference.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 77
TromboneAl said:
I figured out the problem.

Al, No I don't think it's that either. I've had a couple glasses and I still can't figure it out. Maybe I'll have a third. :D

Is the DSL modem/router set to hand out multiple IP addresses through the LAN port? Probably, since it is already giving an address to the laptop and also to the Linksys router. In that case, it does seem like the hub route is best. Have the PCs pick up IP addresses direct from the DSL router through DHCP (or through direct assignment if the DSL router config options permit) - then everything is on the same network. The alternative, like you say, is to pop for a wireless G router since you are not happy with the B.

I think I may go with the Linksys Hub. They have one for about $25. Seems like the simple way to go. I don't think I could screw this one up and most of my current settings would probably remain the same.

Cut-Throat said:
I think I may go with the Linksys Hub. They have one for about $25. Seems like the simple way to go. I don't think I could screw this one up and most of my current settings would probably remain the same.
I think you said earlier that you were not using DHCP on the desktops attached to the Linksys router. If you have specified IP addresses for them they will not match the ones the DSL router is handing out -- that would be the Internet side of the Linksys router. Switch to DHCP or change the specified addresses to match whatever the laptop is picking up.

Cut-Throat said:
Probably the wine. I'll have to revisit the decision tomorrow morning. :-\

I learned to never revisit decisions made under the influence. Its counterproductive.

Switch is better than a hub, if you're doing high throughput stuff. In a 100Mbit switch, all the devices plugged in share an internal 100megabit "bus". In a switch, the switch generally has one or more higher speed internal busses, and the traffic sent from one port only goes to the destination ports. In short, hub=shared bandwidth, switch=multiple (sometimes dedicated) bandwidth paths. Little or no contention for "the media".

It occurred to me last night that if you had plugged a "lan" port on one router into a "lan" port on the other router with a crossover cable and disabled NAT in the secondary rouiter with nothing connected to the "WAN" port on the secondary router, that it might have worked. Maybe not though.

Well, at least you exhausted your options!

Its handy to have a switch. I have a teeny tiny little 5 port job that comes in handy all the time when I need to split a connection or when i'm having trouble connecting two devices together. Modern switches usually will detect and handle the wrong kind of cable (cross vs straight), full vs half duplex, 10 vs 100mbit, etc. I'm absolutely AMAZED how many times I still find brand new modern devices with physical connection issues. I had a laptop and a router that had to have their 'autosense port' turned off and the specific connection configuraitons typed in, and I just saw an article that said a whole slew of ethernet chips from a very major manufacturer had defective 'autosense' capabilities and to turn it off for better performance. I've also had some new devices that tried full duplex 100Mb/s connections as the first 'autosense' which totally jammed up older 10Mb/s half duplex devices.

Switches tend to be very forgiving so slipping one between two devices that dont play well together at first can help troubleshoot what the issue is, and in some cases, make an inexpensive permanent solution. Compusa, fry's and other outfits like that frequently dump older models for free or cheap after rebates.

Back
Top Bottom