Need advice from a Windows XP Security Guru.............

C

Cut-Throat

I have a home network with a couple computers running XP Pro and XP home. I have Set the Drives up on both machines to allow Simple File Sharing. Even the C: drives. Is there a simple way to allow someone to connect to my network to use the internet, but not allow access to the Hard Drives of my other computers?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Why not just set up one folder as available for sharing? When you want to transfer a file, just save it in that folder. That way they can access the Internet but only the files in that one shared directory.

That's what I do.

Merry Christmas!

TromboneAl said:
Why not just set up one folder as available for sharing? When you want to transfer a file, just save it in that folder. That way they can access the Internet but only the files in that one shared directory.

That's what I do.

Merry Christmas!

I may have to do something like that. But often I am on my laptop and want to grab a file on the desktop, and it is handy to just grab it, because I have the whole drive shared. What I currently do is just disable file sharing when someone else is using the network.

I had thought that if you had a password on the computer that it would prompt for the password before asking for any of the files on that computer, but no................

By disabling Simple File Sharing, you can specify an Access Control List (ACL) for each shared disk or folder. Using an ACL gives you much greater control over shared data, since it lets you determine the specific users that will have access as well as the level of access they will receive.

Article

Thanks for the advice on the Access Control Lists! -

I'll have to study this at length in the next few days or so. It looks like this is only available with Windows XP Pro, and my Desk top has XP Home on it. So, I may not be able to set this up the Way I want.

Back
Top Bottom