Join Early Retirement Today

need advice on interview process
Old 04-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

need advice on interview process

in the job market for a software engineer position. Really like company A , just had 2nd phone interview with them today. I don't know if I passed or eliminated. This company's interview process moves at a very slow pace. took them 3 days after 1st phone interview to get feedback, so I probably wont know what's next until few days later.

Company B, I'm not too interested. Just had 2nd phone interview today as well, they called 2 hrs later and wanted me to come in for a final on-site interview later this week.

I wanted to email company A and find out if they're still interested, say something along the line of "Another company is really interested in me but I'm very interested in your company, would like to find out my prospect" is that advisable? how should I word it? thx
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #2

No. Just handle both companies separately. Do your best to get hired at each company and hope that one will come through. Mention one to the other and most likely that one will be off the table. People don’t like being threatened no matter how politely you do so.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless your skillset is so esoteric or unique that you're a shoo-in, Jerry1 is right. Wife & I owned a computer consulting company for more than 30 years, & we did not appreciate a prospective employee who tried to play us off against another company. I can't remember hiring anyone used that ploy.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Out here in Silicon Valley, our recruiters really want to hear if you are about to take an offer from somebody else. Not in a playing us off against each other way, but in a "we want that person, crap we need to move now if we are going to get them!" way. Nothing wrong with giving a heads up that you are about to be become unavailable, though you don't have to do that until after you've got an actual offer from Company B. Saying you need a few days to consider the offer is totally reasonable. As is negotiating the offer. A place you don't want to work can turn out pretty good if you just ask for enough money to overcome your other concerns (not all concerns can be fixed by higher pay).
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

not trying to pit one against the other. I truly wanted to go work for company A and wanted to know if I have any prospect of moving forward with them.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote