Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Need Backup Software for my PC
Old 01-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Need Backup Software for my PC

I do a lot of scanning of financial docs, and I need to make backups of the scans. I know there are some good backup apps available, but I'm not interested in anything especially intricate. This would be just for regular home and personal investment finances.

A backup program of sorts comes with Windows 10, but since it doesn't allow me to choose individual files and folders, it's almost worthless.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance,

Roy in New Mexico
rtroxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
gone traveling

Backblaze.com
$50/yr into the cloud
I am a satisfied customer for 3+ years
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, Dave.

At this time, I'm reluctant to put anything on The Cloud. Not sure how secure that is, considering all the hacking that's been going on these days.

Does anyone else here use the / a cloud for backups?

Roy
Old 01-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtroxel View Post
A backup program of sorts comes with Windows 10, but since it doesn't allow me to choose individual files and folders, it's almost worthless.
The Windows 10 native backup service, File History, does allow you to configure it to include and/or exclude any folders you want. It works pretty well, in my experience, although I have experienced some occasional glitches, so it's not fully a "set it and forget it" solution.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2974...p-feature.html
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you looking to back up the entire PC (system and all) or just data?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

2nd backblaze. Easy to use, cheap, and quite secure. It's been a while since I picked them, but you can set it up so that only you can decrypt your backups. (That means that if you lose the key, you won't be able to restore the files.) At that point the only way for a hacker to get access to your files is to compromise backblaze, and push a software update that disables the encryption. While this is in the realm of possibility, it's well beyond the usual hacks you hear about on the news.

I understand being wary of "the cloud" but for backups it's the only thing that's convenient that offers the kind of protection you need in case your house burns down/floods/.... Otherwise you end up backing up to a friend's house over the Internet, or send up weekly runs where you swap out a USB drive remotely. All doable, but then you're doing a lot more yourself.
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Are you looking to back up the entire PC (system and all) or just data?
Just the data.
- Roy
Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
I understand being wary of "the cloud" but for backups it's the only thing that's convenient that offers the kind of protection you need in case your house burns down/floods/.... Otherwise you end up backing up to a friend's house over the Internet, or send up weekly runs where you swap out a USB drive remotely. All doable, but then you're doing a lot more yourself.
I store my backups at the bank.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Periodically I do a full backup, but every 1-4 weeks I run CopyChangedFiles TSR Copy Changed Files Software - Free software for logging changed and modified files. on my Documents, Images, Music, and Downloads. You can certainly pick any directory you want. I keep a log file of when I've done it, and run it against the last date, and it compares files in that directory and copies over (optionally writes a new copy, I think) anything that's changed. Fast and easy.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtroxel View Post
Just the data.
- Roy
In that case, how about a simple solution of just storing the scanned data in a folder and every so backing up to removable storage like a flash drive or 2.5 inch external HD?

Unless you have lots of lots of data, you're probably not going to run out of space on storage.

If you want a more automated (not manual delete, drag copying), you can use something like FreeFileSync that does syncing between folders (works with external storage too).

https://freefilesync.org/
Old 01-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #11

I use Acronis to back up to a hard drive - we have two and keep one in the safe deposit box at the bank, swapping them periodically. Reminds me that it's time to do that again.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #12

I have used Clonezilla for years.

https://clonezilla.org/

Clonezilla is a partition and disk imaging/cloning program similar to True Image® or Norton Ghost®. It helps you to do system deployment, bare metal backup and recovery.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #13

Another Acronis user here.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I use Macrium Reflect Free for complete image backups, it works flawlessly. For file backups I use Syncovery, it also works flawlessly. both are simple to use and do not require any training.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Another Acronis user here.
Me too. Works great.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I use Macrium Reflect (paid version) for daily backups of System and my data (stored in a data folder). Additionally, I sync my data folder using FreeFileSync when the mood strikes (non-scheduled).

This thread reminded me to do a backup of my data to an external drive at lease at start of year in case HD's on computer get wiped out.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any external HD you buy will come with backup software. Let's say you buy 2 1 TB drives.

Install the backup software. Select the folders you want to back up. Backup to each drive.

Keep 1 in your safe or safety deposit box. Once a month, do a backup and swap the drives. This might cost you $150 total, software included.

Just one idea.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

For backups I use Acronis, but for data that I want stored redundantly I use Dropbox.

There is a Dropbox folder on my desktop (Surface tablet, actually), another on our network file server and a third in the cloud at Dropbox. The Dropbox software runs continuously, keeping all three copies synchronized. Our file server is a RAID box with a pair of mirrored drives, so there also two copies there. It would be equally possible for me so set up the "network" dropbox folder on my wife's computer. I would lose the advantage of the RAID, but that's a belt and a second pair of suspenders anyway.

The advantage of this approach is that everything is kept up to date without any action on my part beyond setting up the scheme and turning Dropbox loose.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:58 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I use IDrive for PC documents and settings And Google Photos and Flickr for images. I don't worry at all about IDrive, Carbonite, Dropbox and the like. The encryption is more than enough protection. The only thing I would really worry about loosing is my Passwordsafe DB and that is encrypted locally and once again on the cloud backup services.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have been using Karens Replicator for over 20 years.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...eplicator.html