Need DSL Help

JPatrick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got DSL at the new casa about a week ago.  Everythink is great except that my cordless phones have a lot of DSL static in them and reduced volume.  The corded phones work perfect.  I am using the filters that the phone company provided on every phone.
I called tech support :-\ and they suggested switching filters around and doing a voodoo dance while chugging a Corona. None of that helped so they said I should call line repair which I wish I could avoid.
From what I've heard this is a very common problem, I just haven't heard any solutions.  I went to Best Buy today and looked at their filters.  Problem is, I don't know if theirs are better than the ones I have and I hate to spend money on them if the result is going to be the same.
Anyone got any ideas?? I really need these cordless phones to be functional.

Plug each supplied filter directly into the box at the wall, not up at the device after a cord extension. Most devices wouldn't care where the filter is, as long as its in series somewhere.  However, putting the filters out at the devices instead of at the wall creates stubs that will help radiate the DSL spectra.
Those uneeded stubs can also cause the adaptive equalizers in DSL to become pretty busy, and they can reduce your DSL actual transmission rate, if needed, to get the level of correctable errors down to a manageable amount.

All the phone wiring in the house, and any phone patchcord that have DSL on them, should all be composed of twisted pair wire. If there are significant lengths of phone cable that are not twisted pair, they will radiate.

Where does the cord from the phone wall outlet to the DSL Modem run, in relation to the cordless base station cable?  This DSL phone cord can radiate some. If it is close to or running parallel with the phone cord from wall outlet to the base station, it can be coupling DSL spectra back into the base station's phone cord, after the filter.  Move it further away, if applicable.

If you have done this, and still have cordless DSL spectra pickup, try moving your base station to another room.

Are YOU only hearing it on the cordless receiver?  Or can others hear it on their end when they are talking with you?

I have had zero problems with our bunch of years old 900 MHz CDMA cordless setup.

Are you using WiFi?   If so, get rid of your old 2.4GHz cordless phones and get newer 5GHz phones.

JPatrick said:
Got DSL at the new casa about a week ago.  Everythink is great except that my cordless phones have a lot of DSL static in them and reduced volume.  The corded phones work perfect.  I am using the filters that the phone company provided on every phone.
I called tech support :-\ and they suggested switching filters around and doing a voodoo dance while chugging a Corona. None of that helped so they said I should call line repair which I wish I could avoid.
From what I've heard this is a very common problem, I just haven't heard any solutions.  I went to Best Buy today and looked at their filters.  Problem is, I don't know if theirs are better than the ones I have and I hate to spend money on them if the result is going to be the same.
Anyone got any ideas?? I really need these cordless phones to be functional.

Another Corona!!

Telly said:
Plug each supplied filter directly into the box at the wall, not up at the device after a cord extension. Most devices wouldn't care where the filter is, as long as its in series somewhere.  However, putting the filters out at the devices instead of at the wall creates stubs that will help radiate the DSL spectra.
Those uneeded stubs can also cause the adaptive equalizers in DSL to become pretty busy, and they can reduce your DSL actual transmission rate, if needed, to get the level of correctable errors down to a manageable amount.

All the phone wiring in the house, and any phone patchcord that have DSL on them, should all be composed of twisted pair wire. If there are significant lengths of phone cable that are not twisted pair, they will radiate.

Where does the cord from the phone wall outlet to the DSL Modem run, in relation to the cordless base station cable?  This DSL phone cord can radiate some. If it is close to or running parallel with the phone cord from wall outlet to the base station, it can be coupling DSL spectra back into the base station's phone cord, after the filter.  Move it further away, if applicable.

If you have done this, and still have cordless DSL spectra pickup, try moving your base station to another room.

Are YOU only hearing it on the cordless receiver?  Or can others hear it on their end when they are talking with you?

I have had zero problems with our bunch of years old 900 MHz CDMA cordless setup.

I have my filters at the wall and moved my cordless base to another room.  When I call someone they cannot hear the noise..  I also have older 900 phones.
I've heard about whole house filters and somehow splitting the voice/data at the outside service box.  Anyone tried that?

wab said:
Are you using WiFi?   If so, get rid of your old 2.4GHz cordless phones and get newer 5GHz phones.
Not using WiFi, but I want to if I can get this cleared up.  I also want to install at least one set of wireless surround sound speakers. That plus wireless headphones puts a lot of "stuff" in the air which is why I really want to get it right.

HFWR said:
Another Corona!!
The first thing I tried of course.  ::) Corona is my Swiss Army Knife of short term cures. :D

Dang, I didnt see this thread until now...i'm slackin'...

Not in any particular order:

- You should have a filter on everything plugged into the phone line, except of course the dsl modem. Some devices will work ok, but even when they're turned off will reflect the DSL signal into the voice band, where a perfectly good filter will pass it.
- All filters are not created equal. I hear good things about Excelsus's filters. Dont know if you can get them in stores, but they sell on line. A good DSL filter probably runs about 12-15.
- You want to replace your flat telephone cords (running between the wall and devices) with twisted pair ones. Especially the one the DSL modem is connected on. Twisting the wires reduces emissions, which might be what you're picking up.
- If your installed in-wall wiring is old, cheap, or not twisted, you'll probably need to have the DSL provider come out, split the line outside the home, filter from the network access point box on the outside of the house, and run a separate twisted pair for the dsl modem.

If your wire IS utp inside the walls, and you have a 'spare pair' you might try having them wire the dsl up to a second line or second separate extension all by itself.

Lastly, it just might be your phone. Some phones just dont reject noise of any kind well at all, and even wildly different frequencies can be a problem. And cost or age isnt a factor. We have a really expensive panasonic 5.8GHz phone and a very nice sony baby monitor. As soon as the phone rings, the baby monitor starts screeching and wont stop. If I move the equipment to put some distance between the baby monitor and the phone, it doesnt do it. :p

U-REAK-A!!

I think I may have it.  It took awhile for me to grasp what you guys were talking about regarding twisted end cords cause I never paid any attention to phone cords before.
I discovered that an answering machine was temporarily hooked up to a 20 foot flat cord and it was sitting right next to my problematic cordless. So I moved the cordless and unplugged the ans machine and YES!!!  It works.  BTW, all my other cords are the good ones and my builder said the house was wired with the best @#$&*# cord on earth.  I may be good to go 8)
Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah CFB, excelsus has an excellent website for DSL stuff

Back
Top Bottom