Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Need Help Buying Stereo
Old 11-07-2004, 08:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dont misunderstand me...surround sound is great if you've got the setup for it, you're willing to route some wires around, and you dont mind dealing with two or more remote controls. Yeah I know you can get one of those $80 touchscreen learning remotes...seems like too much extra layering of crap to me though.

There's nothing like slapping in a good dvd with a lot of special effects and having sound flying at you from all directions and a big subwoofer shaking your innards. In fact, between my inexpensive surround sound setup and my cheapo projector, we havent been to the movies in at least 4 years.

But its a big hassle for a lot of people who arent "into it", it can be very expensive with a limited return on the investment, and many media sources dont even work with it. Analog cable doesnt pass any surround sound...many channels on digital cable and satellite dont either...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Great thread, and as usual, reasonable and economically viable advice, just like I need !
Panhead, the suggestions here are so good that I'm buying two receivers! I want the one Cut-Throat mentioned for my living room. TH pointed to one at Fry's for only $77, so I bought that one too - for the bedroom. Now I need a set of speakers for the second system and I'm looking at the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s as mentioned by azanon, but first I'm gonna check out the pawnshop. I'm going to end up with two systems for less than I planned to spend on one.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:33 PM   #23

Bob,

I'll be interested in hearing your report on the Panasonic Digital Receiver when you get it. Most people are very pleased with the result!
Old 11-07-2004, 05:44 PM   #24

I'll let you know Cut-Throat. And thanks for the advice!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bob,

So how do you like the SA-XR25? I'm looking around right now and the newer SA-XR50 can be had pretty cheaply (~$75 more and it's new rather than refurb). It has a couple more interesting features - better digital audio connections, on screen setup, supposedly better power amp. Any opinions?

Cut-Throat (and others),

Do any of these receivers remember settings per input? So, for example, if I make some settings for the DVD input (DSP settings, bass, audio decoding, volume, etc) will it remember them? Could I have the DVD input set one way and the VCR set another and will it remember them afterwards?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:51 AM   #26

Hyper,

Don't know the specifics, but here is link to download the manual.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR50.PDF
Old 01-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the link Cut-Throat but it doesn't say much and I can't find out whether it "remembers" settings on a per input basis.

If Bob_Smith (or anybody else) has the SA-XR25 (or later model) could he try out the following test? Set the DSP setting (e.g. Hall) for the CD input and then switch to the TV input. Set the DSP setting to something else (Live or Theatre). Now switch back to CD input. What is the DSP setting? Is it what you originally set while in CD input mode or is it what you set in TV input mode?

This is one of my annoyances with the current Yamaha mini-system that I use for A/V now. I have to twiddle with the controls to make the settings work for DVD movies or Playstation games or cable TV and then it only keeps the last setting and I have to redo it when I switch inputs. It's a pain for me to do it but my wife can't/won't and so I get the complaints when watching a DVD has audio problems. I'm hoping to aovid that when I replace the Yamaha.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #28

Hyper, I did order the SA-XR25. Actually I was buying two receivers and the other one arrived first. There was a delay at Amazon on the SA-XR25 - it was a refurb through some other company. The other receiver was good enough for me, and it was quite a lot cheaper, so I bought another. I applied the savings to getting some decent speakers. So I didn't end up with the Panasonic.

Since we're on the subject, I have one more related question. I need to buy a CD player for my second system. In the meantime I've been using my DVD player to play CDs. Actually, the sound is very good - I can't even tell the difference. But that might be due to having better speakers than I've ever had. I'd like to get a player that will let me load a bunch of CDs, but since my $50 DVD player sounds so good, I'm thinking there's no point in paying much for a higher end CD player. Does the quality of the CD player typically make much difference - or can I go cheap and expect to get the same sound?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #29

Thanks Cut-Throat! I didn't know they made DVD changers.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I didn't know they made DVD changers.
I guess they eliminate the arduous hassle of having to put down the remote and physically get up every two hours or so!

What's next-- recliners with integrated beer kegs & optional catheters?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote