Join Early Retirement Today

Need help choosing a project to research for class!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need help choosing a project to research for class!

I'm taking a course in complex project management. For our grade, we are to analyze a well-known complex project (in any field) where things went wrong during the project, resulting in problems after completion. (And, it can't be the Hubble Space Telescope because too many students have done that one).

We have 5 weeks to research the project and describe what could have been managed differently to achieve a better outcome.

I'm having trouble finding a suitable project to research. If a lot is known about something, that's usually because it was a success. Poorly performing projects get buried.

Can any of you practical, knowledgeable folks suggest an idea from your field of interest/endeavor/region? Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Administrator

The London Millennium Footbridge springs to mind (or rather wobbles to mind)

It had to be closed shortly after it's opening for repairs/re-design
Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Administrator

How about London Heathrow's new Terminal 5

Quote:
New airport terminals are usually plagued by faults and problems within the first couple of days of opening and T5 was no exception. Despite running a six-month trial, requiring the use of 16,000 volunteers to put every aspect of the terminal to the test from parking and toilets to check-in and seating, the terminal experienced a host of major problems on day one.

On the first day of operations staff experienced difficulty getting through security into the building, once there they had navigational problems, and delays were compounded by a lack of available car parks.

For passengers, staff unfamiliarity with the check-in system led to flight delays, which in turn overloaded the baggage handling system. The end result was the cancellation of over 300 flights and the mishandling of thousands of items of luggage. The debacle cost BA at least £16m, and resulted in the resignation of two senior managers.

T5 was branded a 'disaster' by government ministers, with the Commons Transport Select Committee launching and enquiry. The subsequent transfer of long haul flights from T4 was delayed. All BA flights are now not expected to fly from T5 until the end of October, rather than April, as originally scheduled.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Pittsburgh light rail underwater tunnel to nowhere.

AKA north Shore Connector. Some suggested to make it into underground shopping arcade. As is true of most light rail projects, initially lowballed to get it going with great hooppla, soon to have gargantuan cost overruns etc. etc. etc..
Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The Denver Airport luggage handling system.

The Dayton Ohio Riverscape fountains.
Dayton Daily News | Dayton, Ohio, News and Information
Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shuttle Columbia: O-rings.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Zilwaukee Bridge
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

The big dig

Big Dig Problems - Tunnel Collapse - Leaks - Cost Overruns - Boston Globe - Boston.com
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If a lot is known about something, that's usually because it was a success. Poorly performing projects get buried.
Here is a $125 million failure that got buried on Mars. CNN - Metric mishap caused loss of NASA orbiter - September 30, 1999
Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Digital TV conversion.

Technically, it seemed to go well. But in terms of getting info to the public, getting the public prepared, getting clear messages out, handling the rebate coupons, PR-wise - a disaster, IMO.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the costliest mismanagement in the history of Earthdom. The real cost is not known but it cost more to get ZERO return than it has to bail out the banks.
Noah Shachtman's site: Boeing: We Screwed Up, Give us $500 Mil

And so, guess what, they decide to give it a second go. Worse result.
U.S. Government Cancels Satellite Program

So the government spends $14billion dollars and get's no further than the "study" phase, then cancels and tries to buy a commercial version and puts some many requirements on it that they eventually have to cancel that.

Yet Google, buys the satellites regularly for about $10mil a pop.

A project management study is warranted. Have fun.
PX4sc40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Think war - it is more dramatic and emotional - brings the point home.
WWI has many examples - there was one where many Australians were killed because of British screw ups

Look into the Charge of the Light Brigade

WWII - right after the war a distroyer was sunk - men in the water for days - Name?

Let us know what you decide
Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #13

DIA and the baggage system or the beautiful marble floors which when wet cause many slips, trips and falls which I was an early participant in.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There's a topical list compiled here...
Man-made hazard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The nearby Joe DiMaggio public swimming pool/playground was rebuilt a couple of years ago at mega-taxpayer expense. It has two pools; a few weeks after the grand re-opening one of the pools sprung a leak and has been closed since 8/08. Why have they been unable to fix it, did something go wrong in planning/building; I peek in the windows and see no evidence of workman; did someone neglect to pay off someone?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Think war - it is more dramatic and emotional - brings the point home.
WWI has many examples - there was one where many Australians were killed because of British screw ups

Look into the Charge of the Light Brigade

WWII - right after the war a distroyer was sunk - men in the water for days - Name?

Let us know what you decide
USS Indianapolis?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
USS Indianapolis?
That's it.

While Indianapolis sent distress calls before sinking, the Navy long claimed that they were never received because the ship was operating under a policy of radio silence. Declassified records show that three SOS messages were received separately, but none was acted upon because one commander was drunk, another had ordered his men not to disturb him and a third thought it was a Japanese prank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)
Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's it.

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #19

Gotadimple, wasn't the Challenger disaster the result of bad o-rings coupled with cold temps? The Columbia disaster was due to damage to the left wing from debris off the solid rocket fuel booster. I really loved the NASA adventures and can remember exactly where I was when the Challenger exploded. Also, the Columbia.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #20

Quote:
That's it.

While Indianapolis sent distress calls before sinking, the Navy long claimed that they were never received because the ship was operating under a policy of radio silence. Declassified records show that three SOS messages were received separately, but none was acted upon because one commander was drunk, another had ordered his men not to disturb him and a third thought it was a Japanese prank.

USS Indianapolis (CA-35) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DEX , why in your previous post did you say this happened AFTER the war. It was during the war. The Indianapolis had just delivered the atom bomb to the island of Tinian.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote