Join Early Retirement Today

Need help from any PC guru
Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need help from any PC guru

I build my own pc's, but my diagnoses skills are limited.* *Anyway, ive having a problem with my pc and right now i dont have a clue what it is.* *Here's what it does:

Basically, I can just let the pc sit in windows and go AFK, and when i come back after a period of time, the entire screen has a weird color matrix over it.* *The only response I get from the pc in this state, is a "mouse square" which is also a color blob that moves when I move the mouse.* * When its like this, the only resolution is to reboot.* Upon rebooting in windows, windows doesnt tell me anything, such as those warnings that the system crashed.* It just reboots like nothing happened.* I have also had it do this though while browsing the net.* *

I'm running some burn-in diagnoses like Sandra, but right now, I just dont have a clue.* The only thing i have done is verified that all of the case fans, including the cpu fan, are still running.* Also, i havent changed anything recently in bios. I dont overclock anything.

Azanon

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Need help from any PC guru
Old 09-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #2

I wonder if this is a graphics card power management issue? I am a UNIX guy, but on our graphics cards there is quite complicated code that handles powering down of the graphics card for long idles (all info has to be saved to the host, graphics context saved, drive state saved, then pulled back at power up time, etc.). So the solution would be to install the most recent graphics driver, if this is indeed the problem. Such a problem would be more likely in the first place if you are using a 3D screen saver. That would cause more complicated state to have to be saved and restored in the first place. Anyway, hope that helps.

Kramer

Old 09-19-2006, 01:00 AM   #3

Definitely sounds like a graphics card issue.* * What kind of card do you have?* *If it's an ATI or nVidia, there are usually tools to monitor the GPU temp, and video artifacts are often the result of high GPU temps. Also, you might try to simply reseat your graphics card.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #4

I have an ATI X850 XT PE* AGP graphics card running the latest catalyst drivers.* *It has a 4-pin power connector, and it is connected to the PSU.* I reseated it last night, and also dropped from 4 x 512 mb memory to 2 x 512mb to begin isolating a possible bad ram chip.*

But fiddling around with the side of the case off I think? i inadvertently discovered the problem.* *I have a "fanmate control" that's linked between my Zalman CPU cooler and where it plugs into the motherboard (the controller adjusts the RPM's of the fan for sound/cooling tradeoff), and I believe it has a short in it causing the CPU fan to cut off intermittently (and then the CPU gets too hot and the pc locks).* * So, I just took the fanmate control out of the loop, and connected the zalman cooler directly to the 3-pin motherboard fan link.* *

I'll know in a few days if that did the trick, then i'll add the extra 2 sticks of ram back.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anybody know much about flat panel displays? My Compaq 17" 7020 suddenly went dead. The power light is on but the panel is not lit. I suspect a short, or a resistor or something but I wouldn't know where to begin looking.

Give it to someone worthy of the challenge and buy a new one?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #6

Azanon:

Definitely sounds like a graphics card problem. I had the same problem for about a month starting about July. Fixed last month with a new ATI Card.

I did some diagnosis work before getting the card. To isolate between the monitor and graphics card I used another monitor and the same thing continued to happen -- ruling out a monitor problem. Pulled graphics card and reinserted it to rule out a loose card in the motherboard. Next reinstalled the graphics driver. Still same problem. Just went to Best Buy and actually got a better card than the old one (old one was over 4 years old). Problem solved.....

Hard to diagnose at first because the problem would come and go but it just got more and more constant.

I assume your machine is not under warranty -- if it is call the maker and get them to send you a new card. If not you may want to find someone that will let you swap in thier card to see if the problem goes away. That will confirm the solution before your spend any money. Best Buy has a pretty good return policy also.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #7

Donheff:

I do not know if this will help but, recently I had a notebook that the monitor just went what appeared to be blank. But on closer examination in very low lighting the monitor did have what it should have on it. The backlighting was out was the problem. Of course the thing was out of warranty and the cost to replace the display was not worth the money. I did take the time to disassemble it and try to find out if I could fix it. I could not but it was interesting to see that there was what looked like a very small floresent (sp) light tube along the bottom of the display that was NOT lighting up. Sort of told me what the problem was but I could not fix it either.

So I would suggest that unless your monitor is under warranty you may want to just consider replacing it. I doubt that the cost to fix it would be much less than just getting new one with maybe a longer warranty.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Guy
Azanon:

Definitely sounds like a graphics card problem. I had the same problem for about a month starting about July. Fixed last month with a new ATI Card.

I assume your machine is not under warranty -- if it is call the maker and get them to send you a new card. If not you may want to find someone that will let you swap in thier card to see if the problem goes away. That will confirm the solution before your spend any money. Best Buy has a pretty good return policy also.
I'm not sure if the graphics card is still under warranty; i'd have to check. Of course my system isn't under warranty since i built it myself per my initial post.

I actually have another (not as good) agp graphics card i can swap in there, if it turns out it wasnt my cpu fan or a bad ram stick, that i can use to test. This will just take time until i find whats causing it.

Azanon