Need help on concrete

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since we have a bunch of people who know a lot about everything, I am going to throw this out and hope to get a good solution...

About 5 or 6 years ago they tore up our street and rebuilt it.. I do not know why as the old streets seemed perfectly fine....

However, they left a shallow spot just in front of my house... IOW, the neighbors to both sides have higher points at the gutters than me... I have up to 2 inches of water there all the time... it has me mad off and on...

The thoughts I have had was get something so I can cut the curb area down so the water would flow to where it should go... but that is a lot of cutting... recently someone suggested adding some concrete to my low spot...

SOOOO, is there something that I can mix up and put on the street that would not break down with traffic... it would be like 4 to 6 inches wide and say 15 feet long... and between almost no thickness to 2 inches?

Are you allowed to resurface city property? At 2" thick I would say no. If it were up to 3/8" think, you could use products for stamped concrete, such as Rhino Stamp Top, and finish it smooth.

Have you asked/insisted that the municipality fix it since they created the problem? That would be the first step since it is either their property or in their easement.

Perhaps you can spin the standing water as being a health issue (mosquitos).

I'm assuming the street is concrete, not asphalt, right?

It's strange that they didn't finish it correctly when they did the work. It hasn't cracked or subsided, it just wasn't finished to the correct height? Maybe they ran out of concrete and didn't want to order more. I wouldn't try to fix it myself. It would be possible to get a strong slab of 2" thick concrete, but where it tapers/feathers to meet the existing concrete at the edges it is going to be considerably weaker and subject to debonding/cracking under heavy vehicle loads. This is a street, not a garden walk, and eventually concrete trucks, dump trucks, etc will be driving over it. If you put the patch there, you'll be potentially liable for damages caused to people/property when it comes apart in chunks. To fix it properly probably requires a concete saw, jackhammers, haul away of big chunks of material, possible new gravel underneath (if that is the real problem), etc.

I'd get the city to fix it. The standing water isn't good, and the splashing of water as vehicles pass is a nuisance to pedestrians. If the water isn't shedding properly to the storm drain/etc, then they are going to have problems eventually anyway.

They just did not level it properly....

I will call and see what I can do, but we are not in the city... the county is not one that does stuff...

The good thing is we are on a street that very few trucks drive down as it is not a way trucks would drive... the only traffic would come from the pool across the street and usually they park on the other side.

The thoughts I have had was get something so I can cut the curb area down so the water would flow to where it should go... but that is a lot of cutting... recently someone suggested adding some concrete to my low spot...
Talk to your town before you do anything to the street or curb - they don't belong to you.

In my town, you would virtually never be permitted to cut a curb. And to be allowed to do so would require a formal plan and several layers of approvals.

Photos would really help.

How about the opposite view, drill a hole in the low spot, will allow the water to drain away to the gravel under the road.
Totally illegal.
Will also probably cause the road to wash out in that spot in a few years, requiring the county to come and patch the sunken area.

Photos would really help.

How about the opposite view, drill a hole in the low spot, will allow the water to drain away to the gravel under the road.
Totally illegal.
Will also probably cause the road to wash out in that spot in a few years, requiring the county to come and patch the sunken area.

At which point evidence of the hole would be gone! Brilliant. Vicarious appreciation. I'd be too chicken to do it myself.

Just call your elected official and ask them to fix the hole.

My father had a church buddy that was the county council president. He got him to tar and gravel a 2 1/2 mile road to our lake house. It later was well paved.

Back
Top Bottom