Need help with router installation...

Gonzo

Recycles dryer sheets
First… I do not know much of anything about computers, etc.

I installed a D-Link DI-524 Router to my cable modem and then to my desktop computer. I run the installation wizard… my Dell desktop and Toshiba notebook work except the notebook looses the internet connection when I leave the room that has the desktop and router and go more than about 10 ft away.

The sonar screen on the notebook shows the connection on the second circle from the center. The wireless network connection icon shows speed: 54Mbps, Signal Strength: Excellent, Status: Connected… but cannot connect to the internet if more than about 10 ft from the router… if I move back closer to the router it will connect to the net.

The router is located on the same desk as the desktop, printer, scanner, answering machine and 2.4 GHz phone… I shutoff the power to the phone and it did not make any difference in the connection.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to use the notebook in the kitchen and out on the patio deck.

Gonzo

Hmmm, so it stays connected to the router but won't access the internet? What about the network, can the notebook connect to the desktop when you're in the other room?

If it was interference I'd say maybe one of the add on antennas for the router that boost your range will help, but if it's supposedly connected to the router I don't know that it'd be interference.

I'm betting its losing the router connection entirely. Try a different channel on the router and on the client. Sounds like an interference problem. Or the antenna in the router is broken internally from the connection.

What settings did you change in the router so far? Or is it still factory set? Did you use the cd-rom that came with it to configure it or did you use the routers internal wizard?

Following up on CFB's questions on settings, be sure the antenna transmit power is set at 100%, not on something lower.

Using the router's internal wizard, click on "Advanced" then on "Performance". The last item on that screen is the power setting.

By the way, this happened with mine when I had the router set to 'automatic' on the channel selection and my PC set to a specific channel. It'd periodically 'lose' the router. I finally set the channel on the router to 7 and the pc to 7. Maybe if I had a D-link card in the pc they'd both do a better job of not 'losing' each other. Havent had this happen to me before, but I never had a router that would autoselect a channel before either...

Gonzo said:
The router is located on the same desk as the desktop, printer, scanner, answering machine and 2.4 GHz phone…

Can you check to see if your phone is running on the same channel? I had to upgrade our phone because of a similar issue.

Yeah, I go out of my way to make sure everything has its own channel. 5.8GHz phones, 2.4GHz network, 900MHz baby monitor, 1.21 Gigawatts in the delorean.

By the way, microwave ovens, some video transmitters and some wireless headsets use 2.4GHz. Whenever my wife nukes something in the kitchen, the network dries up on me.

Thanks REW... transmit power was set at 100%

Thanks CFB... first I ran the CD and then I ran the internal wizard. I now have set the router thru the desktop to channel 7... how do I change the notebook to channel 7?

I have rebooted both and I get no connection to the wireless network. "limited or no connectivity"

Jiggles... how do I check for the phone channel? I have unplugged the power to the phone so that should not be an issue... correct?

Gonzo

Okay... I have now set the router channel to 11 and rebooted the notebook... set the key and now I can connect to the net but I have the save problem as before... move about 10 ft from the router and it drops it's connection.

Now what?

Gonzo

Would plaster walls have anything to do with this dropped connection?

Also, on the exterior of the home between the siding and the wood sheathing over the framing we have foiled backed foam sheathing... could this be a problem?

CFB... you mentioned about the antenna maybe being broken... how can I test for that? Would that be the case even with the sonar showing the router as an excellent signal strength?

Gonzo

It has to either be interference or a bad antenna. Those are the only explanations. Not sure how you'd test the antenna.

The foil coated insulation will mitigate the signal, but I presume you have windows and doors that the signal will penetrate through. The foil shouldnt be a problem if you're inside and so is the router.

Check in with d-link support...unfortunately I hear they, like almost everyone else...stink. You might need a new one.

Thanks CFB... I will have to give that a try tomorrow.

Gonzo

No, there's no word, because he did what you suggested, and his computer exploded. :)

You're right Al...never, ever call tech support.

I'm not sure why I have, at least in modern times...

I certainly could have gone out back, whacked myself in the face 5 times with a stick, and have seen a better result.

I sent the D-Link support an e-mail regarding this problem... it said they would respond within 36 hours... have not heard anything yet... it's been over 36 hours! I have been busy with other things so I have not tried to call yet.

Gonzo

I still have not received a response to my e-mail to the support group at D-Link. I called today... one of the first things they ask you to do on the automated support number is e-mail the problem to them at the support center... but they fail to tell you that they won't answer the e-mail. Well, the person on the other end did not talk very good english... at least I had a hard time with it. Anyway they could not find any problems and said I should return the router for another one. I bought it on sale at Office Max... I have never returned anything there... I will find out how that goes. I don't thing I will be able to exchange it today.

Gonzo

Yep, i've found email support at almost any company to be a total waste of time. Usually I get no response, and when I do i'm usually sorry. Its usually the 'reset it to factory settings', or 'unplug it and plug it back in'. ::)

I think the folks in email support have figured out that nobody measures whether they respond or not, and if they do, that their response is even remotely helpful, let alone a solution to the customers problem. Hence they can ignore emails, when pressed they can send a form document or two. Then spend the rest of the day posting to internet forums or looking at Vida Guerra web sites.

Update:

Went to Office Max yesterday and got an exchange router... I told them that the D-Link support tech said I should exchange for a different router... Office Max didn't even ask what was wrong... just gave me a new router (Same model, different version)... no hassle... I like it!

I installed it today and it works fine... every room in the house (1200 sf) okay and in the far corner of the garage is okay... I didn't try the patio deck today because it is too cold and there is snow out there.

I'm using channel 6, WPA enabled and reconnected the portable 2.4 GHz phone and the router (2.4GHz) still works fine... in fact the router is about 1 ft from the phone base and both are located on the top of the desktop computer desk.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Gonzo

I finally received an e-mail response from D-link... basically quoted the FAQ from their website.

They did mention to disable "SSID Broadcast"... what is SSID Broadcast? What does it do?

Gonzo

SSID broadcast is basically the name of the wireless network 'broadcasted' so anyone within range can see that there is a wireless network available and what the name of it is.

mickj said:
SSID broadcast is basically the name of the wireless network 'broadcasted' so anyone within range can see that there is a wireless network available and what the name of it is.

A good thing to do, but any computer you want to put on the network will need to know the name of the network to access it. Not a big deal (you want to have a key entered anyway, also for security). Just be aware of this.

Of course, the 'bad guys' can see a network even with SSID disabled, but it still makes sense to disable it - no need to advertise your network. The key should be enough security for normal users, IMO.

-ERD50

But disabling the SSID would also have absolutely no effect on or resolve his problem of losing the network from more than 10 feet away.

Needs help with rouoter installation

img_371871_0_56dc451a025ddfe9ed0aee8f76632c7f.gif

Back
Top Bottom