Need Help with Watersoftener

nwsteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Headed out for week trip in RV.
Shutoff house water and water heater but forgot to unplug the water softener.
Do I have a problem?
Thanks for all help
Nwsteve

If the amount of water used triggers a regen, no problem. If the softener is less sophisticated and set to regenerate based on time, you might have a problem...but probably not serious if you're only gone for a week.

Long ago and far away, I had a water softener. It was run by a clock motor that turned cams to operate all the valves for the different functions in regeneration. If the house water was shut off, when it was time, the motor would run the program to operate all the valves, but since there was no water flow possible because the water was shut off, nothing would really happen, the regeneration would not occur. So no damage or anything like that.

Long ago and far away, I had a water softener. It was run by a clock motor that turned cams to operate all the valves for the different functions in regeneration. If the house water was shut off, when it was time, the motor would run the program to operate all the valves, but since there was no water flow possible because the water was shut off, nothing would really happen, the regeneration would not occur. So no damage or anything like that.

My understanding as well. I've had my WS stripped down to the parts level to fix a valve, so I'm reasonably familiar with things. No water on, no problem.

-ERD50

I did it once. No damage, but the residual water pressure was enough to get some salt into the resin bed when the softener regen'ed. Or perhaps the valve did not close completely and there was a tiny leak.

I realized what happened when I came back after the trip, took a shower, and thought somehow my head hair got a lot of salt into it from the ocean. Tasted the water and found that it was salty.

Thanks all.
Much easier to enjoy our trip to Or coast and Redoods NP
Nwsteve

I did it once. No damage, but the residual water pressure was enough to get some salt into the resin bed when the softener regen'ed. Or perhaps the valve did not close completely and there was a tiny leak.

I realized what happened when I came back after the trip, took a shower, and thought somehow my head hair got a lot of salt into it from the ocean. Tasted the water and found that it was salty.
That sounds like the only potential problem with nwsteve's situation. If this happens, the salt won't hurt the resin bed (since the brine water goes through it every regen cycle), but it might not be very good for the appliances (including the water heater). Nwsteve, it might be worth flushing out the resin bed by running a hose or the kitchen sink for 30 minutes or so when you get home (before anyone draws hot water), especially if a taste of the water indicates it has a lot of salt in it. If your WS is like mine it regenerates based on usage but also automatically regenerates every 14 days even if usage is low/nil.

Back
Top Bottom