Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
happy2bretired. If you haven't yet, I would highly suggest that you read up on the various exposure modes of your G6. In addition to being a fully automatic point-n-shoot, you can set it in program mode (just like p&s but with control over exposure compensation and ISO), aperture priority, shutter priority, and fully manual. I'd suggest playing around with those just to get a feel for how you can subtly change the look of your photos by tweaking things here and there (you can always reset to factory default settings or throw it back on fully automatic if you get it too screwed up).

When it comes down to it, a camera is a lightproof box with a focal plane and a light-capturing surface. So, when you think about it, you've got everything you need now to record some great art... just get to a point where you're a master at understanding your tools. Practice and play!

I do have Photoshop. I love it but it's been a long road of learning to get to the marginal spot that I am. I would also highly recommend the Digital Imaging Suite by Microsoft or Adobe's more approachable tool, Photoshop Elements. Both of those are fantastic for someone that doesn't have the time or inclination to swear at Photoshop all day.

Ha, The fly was captured with:

Canon EOS 30D Digital Camera (Camera Body)

Canon Zoom W/A-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM AF Lens

Canon 72mm 500D Close-up Lens

It was so sunny out that I was able to narrow my aperture a bit (I can post more on aperture if anyone needs more info) and crank my shutter speed really high (fast shutter speed helps with freezing motion, important with a flighty subject or windy conditions)

Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:56 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thanks Webzter. I need to find my manual since I have been working with the automatic setting since I bought the camera. I still have my old Canon AE1, from my single days. I used to go out and take pictures using the manual settings and it was fun so I need to do some studying again.

My daughter may buy Photoshop since she is, hopefully, going to become a graphic designer. It soulds like Photoshop Elements is more my speed tho. I bought a book about Photoshop Elements probably a year ago so I can read up on that too.

happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote