Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Need Ideas Please
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia
Wow - who is this Chihuly guy anyway. There's an exhibit of his art in Co Springs right now also. I'd never heard of him before until the past couple of months, and now I'm hearing things about him all over.
We are talking about the same guy right? Dale Chihuly - makes "stuff" out of glass? Actually I was at a play in the colorado springs fine arts center last friday and there's this HUGE chandelier that basically looks like a medusa head and I wondered if he made it.
Yeah, we are talking about the same guy. Wild organic glass sculptures often exhibited in gardens/outdoor settings. One of the pieces at the Botanic Gardens weighs almost 2 tons.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Take them to Niagara Falls.

I know it's a bit far from where you are, but we always take our UK and Australian guests to the Niagara Region. They are always amazed. You can easily spend a couple of days on our (Canadian) side.

I guarantee that your parents will be happy.

I've been there myself dozens of times. It's a 2 hour drive from where we live and I'm still amazed!

After the Falls go to Toronto. Then continue to Kingston and The Thousand Islands and back south.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Try:

the Cloisters - (esp. at Christmas time - don't know if they still do the Christmas tree displays)
http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_Of_Ar...ment.asp?dep=7

near West Point (name of town escapes me) I believe is where Washington Irving, author of "Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle" stories lived and there is a museum and nice park area there if I remember correctly

Delaware watergap area is very pretty at this time of year

If you do Williamsburg, they also have a wonderful Christmas season there

Don't forget the Museum of Natural History in NYC and maybe a trip to Rockefeller Center?

That's all I can think of, but you should also probably incl. (as previously suggested) the Liberty Bell, Wash., DC (hit the Smithsonian?) and Statue of Liberty if they are interested in that stuff.

Enjoy! and stop all that worrying - it will give you wrinkles!

Jane

Old 10-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about a few walking tours of Manhattan? There are even free professional tours, for example of the Wall Street area. I like the Soho-Tribeca and Little Italy-Chinatown areas and Central Park (carriage ride?). There's a neat tribute to the Irish dead from the potato famine along the river--in fact there are lots of tributes to immigrants (small museums, street plaques). Tribeca is close to the former World Trade Cetner site--which might also be interesting to them.

How about the movies (Imax? Foreign films?). Don;t forget to take them to a few classical music concerts, either in the city or the burbs. Take a tour of Lincoln Center. How about a ride up the Empire State Bldg on a clear day. And don;t forget NY street food...hot pretzels, knishes, and roasted chestnuts in winter. They might enjoy the Christmas decorations in mid-town. Don't miss the early fall leaf-peeping...perhaps the Catskills?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi All,

Autumn is my favorite time of year. The colors don't seem to be as brilliant as other years, but still nice nonetheless. A couple of weeks ago, we took a drive on Henry Hudson Drive, which is a road that cuts through a portion of the Palisades Interstate Park, right near the Hudson River. What a great road. We had gone in the afternoon and by that time, the sunlight was not direct so the colors were kind of drab-looking, but still nice. A good time to go is on a sunny morning.

Last weekend we went to Piermont, NY and had another great day. We browsed through a small farmers market and walked around, enjoyed the colors and sights, had lunch.

This weekend I had planned on going to the Cloisters, but it looks REALLY cloudy outside - not sure about that one.

Someone in this thread had mentioned making reservations at the Cullinary Institute. Great place. I haven't taken my in-laws, but my wife and I had been there once maybe about a year ago. We were very impressed. The food was outstanding. My wife and I struck up a conversation with our waiter and asked about his schooling there. We were surprised to hear that the most difficult course he took was the one on wine - what with having to know the different grapes, countries/regions, to know which wine goes with which types of food, etc.

My in-laws have already done most of the touristy stuff on previous visits and haven't expressed any interest in re-visiting those places - so the search continues
Old 11-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One month down, five to go.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
One month down, five to go.

It really isn't all that bad. They don't understand english and I don't understand their language - so that decreases the chances of pissing each other off

We'll see how I feel by the end of month three - the half-way mark