Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I can picture a wire failing in the middle due to overheating. But then, it is definitely carrying too high an amperage compared to its rating. In normal usage, that should not happen.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, I can picture a wire failing in the middle due to overheating. But then, it is definitely carrying too high an amperage compared to its rating. In normal usage, that should not happen.

Just remembered... it was not too small... it was not rated for outside.... said so on the wire... I do not know the difference for indoor vs outdoor.... the new wire said it was OK for outdoor use...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

At 1st thought, I did not know how there could be a difference in current carrying capability of the indoor wire vs. outdoor wire, if both are of the same gauge. They do not have different copper for the two applications. Then, I was thinking that the insulation materials may be different.

What I surmise is that your original indoor wire had its insulation cracked and deteriorated with time due to sunlight and UV exposure. Moisture seeped in and corroded the copper conductor, and weakened its current rating.

If that theory is true, one can easily confirm it by examining the wire, at the failure point as well as elsewhere along its length.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
At 1st thought, I did not know how there could be a difference in current carrying capability of the indoor wire vs. outdoor wire, if both are of the same gauge. They do not have different copper for the two applications. Then, I was thinking that the insulation materials may be different.

What I surmise is that your original indoor wire had its insulation cracked and deteriorated with time due to sunlight and UV exposure. Moisture seeped in and corroded the copper conductor, and weakened its current rating.

If that theory is true, one can easily confirm it by examining the wire, at the failure point as well as elsewhere along its length.

The insulation was melted all along the wire... but, we got rid of it years ago so no checking it now...

And I did not know there was an indoor only wire.... but now thinking about UV and other weather I can see it can make a difference...
Old 09-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

OK... an update...

I guess I was right to worry... they had put in normal switches when we wanted toggle switches... so they changed them to toggle a few weeks back..

Well, one was upside down... so someone came out to turn it around and could not get it to work...

Now the guy is trying to figure out which wire goes to which switch... since we are missing our vanity lights he is checking the wires... we have a hot wire that should not be hot.... there is another wire that is just hanging in air...

So, a lot of work to figure out what wire goes to which switch....
Old 09-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
A question for someone who knows about wiring...

In the bathroom remodel we are going to have 3 switches for different lights. I am choosing which one I want first, second and third. Right now they have them backwards.... in other words switch 1 is turns on the lights that I want switch 3 to turn on...

I have asked them a few times to change this... they say 'no problem', but have not... they are saying that they can just move the wire in the box and be done....

Now, this bothers me since the box has 3 wires leaving it to go to the various lights and they are separated by the width of a switch... so that means the wire for switch 3 is coming in right above where switch 1 is located... they are assuring me it makes no difference....

So my question... am I being too picky to want the wire coming in (or leaving) the box right above where the switch is located? They have put sheetrock over it and I do not think they want to cut it out to do it.
Quote:
OK... an update...

I guess I was right to worry... they had put in normal switches when we wanted toggle switches... so they changed them to toggle a few weeks back..

Well, one was upside down... so someone came out to turn it around and could not get it to work...

Now the guy is trying to figure out which wire goes to which switch... since we are missing our vanity lights he is checking the wires... we have a hot wire that should not be hot.... there is another wire that is just hanging in air...

So, a lot of work to figure out what wire goes to which switch....
You were right to worry? Your latest post has absolutely no relation to your OP in this thread. Seems to me like you are just trying to justify your unjustified concern in the OP. Please elaborate how the last post relates to the OP.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
they had put in normal switches when we wanted toggle switches
I'm not familiar with the use of the term "toggle switches" in the context. Did you perhaps mean "rocker switches", like the Decora line?
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You were right to worry? Your latest post has absolutely no relation to your OP in this thread. Seems to me like you are just trying to justify your unjustified concern in the OP. Please elaborate how the last post relates to the OP.
Well, I am the OP, so I think it does relate...
Old 09-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I'm not familiar with the use of the term "toggle switches" in the context. Did you perhaps mean "rocker switches", like the Decora line?
Yes... I guess I call them the wrong thing...
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I also don't see the connection.

Installing a rocker switch (or any ON/OFF switch) upside down (UP should = ON; DOWN should = OFF) is a demonstration of incompetence. But it has nothing to do with wire order.

And to figure out which wire goes to which fixture/switch - they will do a simple continuity test with the breaker off. An electrician cannot, and will not, rely on the physical order of wires to tell them anything at all. It just doesn't work that way.

Did the switch "work" before he tried to get it turned right-side-up?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I am the OP, so I think it does relate...
Any update over the past week? I'm curious what this is all about.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Any update over the past week? I'm curious what this is all about.

-ERD50

Because we had a hurricane here we did not get the lights for the vanity when expected... THEN it seems that the company that has the lights is in Georgia and they closed due to Irma...

Just picked them up today, so will talk to the contractor to see when he can put them in... he told me he has 10 to 15 flood houses that he is working on and everybody wants everything done ASAP...

I think he figured it out, but will not know until those lights are in... at least he got two of them working....

NOW, I have to call in a plumber!!! We bought a sink with 3 holes (long story to short, we could not find one the size we needed with 1 hole)... SO, there was supposed to be a plate to cover the holes... but it was not in the box... they got it and finished it yesterday... but the faucet is not solid... it moves when you push it... AND they do not know how to connect a RO system... I said do not touch it if you do not know as you can ruin the filters...

Otherwise they have done a pretty good job IMO... of course there have been problems here and there with painting etc., but that is to be expected from any contractor...