Join Early Retirement Today

Need Laptop Projector Recommendations.....................
Old 02-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #1

Need Laptop Projector Recommendations.....................

I would like to buy a Projector for my Laptop to make Presentations for my Fishing Club. Small size is the main objective. I think I need 1024 x 768 resolution, unless someone can talk me out of it.

There seems to be about 2,000 models out there and I have no idea where to begin. I'd like to spend around $1,000. Connection for Speakers would also be desired.

Has anyone done any research in this area and can reccomend a Brand/ Model?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Need Laptop Projector Recommendations.....................
Old 02-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I see the InFocus brand more than any other out there.* We have one that is about 4-5 years old and has held up well.

I saw someone using a very small one (about 8 x 10 inches) recently and it seemed to have good power.* *The InFocus website doesn't seem too helpful in identifying it as far as size goes.*

$1,000 is going to put you on the lower end of their spectrum.* *

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus.htm
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I see the InFocus brand more than any other out there.*
If this is any help, four years ago InFocus was the cat's meow at military training commands. Great contrast even with a lighted classroom, simple to operate, didn't have any "gotchas" like turning off the fan before the bulb cooled, easy to take on travel, and could handle the occasional floor bounce.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Resolution probably isnt going to be the biggest deal.

If you're going to be showing in a well lit room, you're going to want plenty of lumens. 1000-1200 lumens will require a fairly dim room. 2000 or close to it will be well visible in a well lit room. If you're using an expensive reflective screen, that will help one of the lumen-challenged projectors.

If you're going to show movies or high definition photos, you're going to want a decent contrast ratio. Something uphill of 1000:1.

You're going to see a lot of "presentation projectors" with 500:1 contrast ratios and 1500 lumens. Nice for a powerpoint presentation. Lousy to show a dvd or your fishing photos on.

You'll pretty much have a choice of lcd or dlp. Some people see a 'rainbow effect' on DLP where they'll see a rainbow out of the corner of their eye. Its a byproduct of the persistency of the eye that DLP depends on. But the colors and quality are great. I dont see rainbows and neither has anyone else I've known. LCD's can have less crisp colors than DLP and you can get 'screen door effect' where if you're not sitting a good distance from the projected material, you can see the separate 'dots' of the lcd and it'll look like you're staring through a screen door at the material.

So you'll need to find a small form factor unit with enough lumens and contrast ratio to suit.

If you're going to look for a small 2000 lumen 2000:1 projector...I dont think you're gonna find one for a thousand bucks. You might have to go 2000...but I havent been shopping for them lately.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dell
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Some people see a 'rainbow effect' on DLP where they'll see a rainbow out of the corner of their eye.* Its a byproduct of the persistency of the eye that DLP depends on.* But the colors and quality are great.* I dont see rainbows and neither has anyone else I've known.*
Hi, my name is Marshac, and I see rainbows.... I'm also one of those people that can detect fluorescent lights flickering, and need a 75Hz refresh rate or better on my monitor.

As for rainbows, not only are they distracting, but they hurt my eyes after awhile of looking at a single-chip DLP projector. 3 chip DLP = no problemo for obvious reasons (no color wheel)
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
We need a 'vomit' emoticon.

Marshac - correctamundo...but I dont think we're going to see any 3 chip DLP or high speed color wheel DLP projectors in a small form factor with high contrast and high lumens for under $3k, yes?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Doesnt smell too bad, reviews are decent, 1024x768, 2000 lumens 2500:1 contrast, under 5lbs, under a grand.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=134737

You might find something good at costco too...they have a good range.

Note that many office supply stores wont take projectors back except for exchange, so make sure you get the return policy straight before you do a 'buy and try'...

Costco of course will take it back.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Marshac - correctamundo...but I dont think we're going to see any 3 chip DLP or high speed color wheel DLP projectors in a small form factor with high contrast and high lumens for under $3k, yes?
Of course not If we could, it would be in my living room

If I were going to purchase a projector that was going to be viewed by a large number of people, I would want one that would not make a portion of them ill. This leaves LCD projectors, or some of the DLPs with higher speed color wheels.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Maybe C-T will discover that the people in his fishing crew that are susceptible to rainbows are people he doesnt really like.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

My work just purchased me an Epson 760c (2500 lumen, 400:1 contrast), which I've been really happy with, but it might be a little more than you're looking to spend. *

The next model down, an Epson 750c, (2000 ANSI lumen, 400:1 contrast ratio) is listed for $1099 at Newegg. *The 760c is listed at $1669. *Newegg usually has great prices and I've been happy with things I've purchased from them. *I also like all the reviews from buyers, unfortunately, nobody has reviewed this projector yet. *Here's the link for the 750c:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824157123

The great thing about these projectors are that they only weigh 3.8 pounds and they are extremely small and portable. *They have the audio input and also a remote control. *

Just remember that the bulbs on most projectors are very expensive to replace (usually a couple hundred dollars, unless they've come down recently).

Aaron
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Seriously though, i'm wondering if my infocus x1 produces less 'rainbow' or if the number of people who see them is way overblown. At least 200 people must have watched something on this projector over the last few years and not one has been affected.

Aaron - you watch any movies on that projector, particularly ones with dark scenes, or shown any high def photos that were taken in low light conditions (like from a fishing boat at 6am)?

My experience with low contrast projectors has been that when working with darker material that has a lot of different levels of gray and low light colors, that i have to adjust the brightness and contrast to see that material adequately. If you arent careful when switching back to a piece of bright material, you might get a quickie sun-tan.

The first projector I "tried" had a 500:1 contrast ratio. After squinting at a couple of movies during the dark scenes and constantly adjusting the settings, I actually set up a 13" set next to the couch so that when we got to dark scenes we could look over and see what the heck was actually going on. I decided the cost savings wasnt worth it and returned it for the X1.

Of course, many projector makers "lie" about the lumens and the contrast ratio, or measure them under conditions nobody would use, and exclusive of each other. So again, make sure you have a good return policy.

C-T still hasnt said what material he's going to be showing or under what conditions, so its still up in the air as to what would work for him.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Seriously though, i'm wondering if my infocus x1 produces less 'rainbow' or if the number of people who see them is way overblown.*
Doesn't the X1 have a 2X speed color wheel? It's only 800x600, but by all accounts, an excellent projector... I think it also has the much discussed faroudja deinterlacer (supposedly one of the best).
Old 02-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yes it does!

The only downside to it is the weak lumens. Looks GREAT at night, but to watch it during the day, you have to pull all the drapes and shut off all the lights.

And babies love to grab them by the cords and yank them off the table. So its been put away for the time being...
Old 02-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #15

Quote:
The only downside to it is the weak lumens.* Looks GREAT at night, but to watch it during the day, you have to pull all the drapes and shut off all the lights.
Do you use a screen, or just the wall?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Just the wall. I got a piece of screen material that had pretty good reflective characteristics and it helped, but not much. I also tried the "make your own screen" with blackout cloth and a 1x2 frame and all that. Wasnt worth the ugly factor. Tried both high gloss white and the supposed super duper home mixed "silvery" paint the guys on the AVSFORUM are nuts about. I didnt see any change worthwhile.

The paint on that wall is about a half inch thick now though.

Just zapped on a plain flat white textured wall was surprisingly good.

VERY highly recommended if you want a big screen experience without a huge piece of furniture, dont mind routing a long s-video cable to a coffee table or something somewhere, and have a good sized wall or better still, a nice unused room to show it on/in. Not to mention its tough to buy a 110" big screen tv...

One of the few things I miss about the mcmansion...."Now WHAT can I DO with this 14x12 empty bedroom...hmmmmm....?"

Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #17

I'm going to be projecting mostly Powerpoint and a few videos from digitial cameras. And some stuff off the internet. I'm not going to be using it for watching movies.

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #18

AVSFORUM is a great place. I'm still waiting for the Avel LinkPLayer with 802.11g/DVI.... it would be so awesome to rip my DVDs to a NAS, and then have one box in the living room play all of my media. My gateway connected DVD player works ok, but it needs a omputer to transcode media that's sent to it.... which sucks. The Avel box does it all itself... and can play HD Divx/WMV content as well
Old 02-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I'm going to be projecting mostly Powerpoint and a few videos from digitial cameras. And some stuff off the internet. I'm not going to be using it for watching movies.
Then I'd buy on price and size, and get at least 1700-2000 lumens if you're doing it in a well lit room.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
My gateway connected DVD player works ok
Oh, so you're the other guy who bought one of those complete pieces of crap.

So you actually get it to transcode stuff and send it successfully? I couldnt get it to work with the wireless (kept skipping and saying I didnt have the bandwidth), so I went the extra step and bought the frickin hard wired ethernet card that works with it. That didnt work either.

I'm just using it for a dvd player now.

Another piece of electronics that i wouldnt mind seeing go up in smoke. Then I wouldnt have to look at it anymore.