Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Pretty soon you'll be a fashion stud.

The only thing I have found with dark wool suits is that they are REALLY hot in the summer, and I'm not talking about Notmuchlonger's "I look hot in it" hot.
three words: tropical weight wool.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

heres a pic of the suit i just stumbled upon...i have closer and more detailed pics, but they are before it was tailored and dont do it justice

its a charcoal color from jcpenny....ive had nothing but compliments each time i've worn it (although i dont imagine many would come up and say..."wow, ungly suit!!")

for the record, this image is of me doing my 'ayyy, fuggeddaboutit" stance...goofing off for the wife
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suit.jpg (670.1 KB, 17 views)

Old 10-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

You're cute, except for the shaving cream all over your face. Nice suit.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How many times have we told you NOT to play with silly string in your good clothes?

No dessert or TV for you tonight.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #45

Looking good! Cutting a fine figure for any suitable occasion...way to go!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
.....its a charcoal color from jcpenny....ive had nothing but compliments each time i've worn it (although i dont imagine many would come up and say..."wow, ungly suit!!")....
I've had a few JC Penney suits and sports coats, and they've been very nice looking & good fitting....especially for the price!

My 2 favorite suits came from a little 'hole in the wall' shop that used to be on 8th Ave somewhere between 39th & 41st Sts. in NYC. The name of the joint was 'King Tut's', and I paid a whopping $47 per suit! They were both shark skin, one was kind of a mauve/plum color, and the other was a taupe color.

A friend of mine went there the same day that I bought the 2nd suit, and bought one for himself. He told me they "only" charged him $170 for it. (It was the EXACT same suit as the one I had bought.) He asked me how much I had paid, because he thought he'd probably gotten a better deal. When I showed him the receipt, he about soiled himself!!!

Of course he always strutted around trying to look like a high-roller, and I normally looked like I was kind of down and out, and just needed a suit for a job interview or a funeral. I guess they always just felt sorry for me when I went in there, but when my buddy went in, they figured he was able to afford paying a higher premium!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #47

When I went into the Fraud Section I had to suddenly go from owning one suit to a dozen. Panic city! This is a guy who wouldn't know a color wheel if he tripped over it.

I ended up buying most of them from J. C. Penny's as they went on sale. Bought one at Sears but it wasn't very good. There weren't any Mens Wearhouse stores around then. The ones from Penny's seemed to wear well and the "fashion police" didn't laugh at me.

It took several weeks to figure out how to knot a tie in less than ten minutes. No Internet back then.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Well....i went to the local Mens Warehouse and wouldn't fork over my cash to them if my life depended on it. My saleswoman was unfriendly, uninformative, and downright rude at times! Should I really base my opinion of the whole company on one salesperson? Maybe not, but what choice do I have.

AGE DISCRIMINATION. At least that's my take on it. How old must I look to finally get some respect in these kinds of places? Geez. I went in with my wife and 2 kids. We were greeted by a woman asking what we were looking for. I advised I needed a suit for weddings, funerals, etc. She suggested a navy blue or charcoal, and said "Come on over to this rack, these are the cheapest". Did I ask for the cheapest? No.

Then she says "First, take that...umm......THING off first" WTF!!?!? She was pointing and referring to my SON who is 1 yr old and was clinging to my chest. I was startled at the very least, but I let it slide. She followed up by trying to lighhten the mood with "hahaha...he doesnt look like he wants to let go"

So, she said she had no tape measure, and would guess my size. After 3 coats, she said a 40 regular was it. I found a great looking suit listed at $399. No specials. no deals. I asked if there were any for the advertised $199 and $299 by the same manufacturer as advertised on the website. She said, oh, there's one...but the cut wont fit you well. I said "can we try?" her: "Sure...here" She grabbed me a 38S, where we had determined a 40R was right. I pointed out that it was very snug and didnt feel right, and she said it was the cut of cheaper suits...that's why she knew it wouldnt be good for me. I tried to confirm "And what size is this vs. the one I liked?" Her "They were both 40 Regular" Me "hmmmm".

And so I left. I was hoping for a pleasant experience...something pleasant enough to make me feel like parting with $300 bucks or so. NOPE!!!!

So, I ventured to JCPenny's and found they had virtually all suits on sale 50% off or more. I found a charcoal Stafford Worsted Wool suit for about $120. It looks great on me, the pants could be shortened a toch. But it looks good I think. Why should I avoid this $120 suit? The 'list' is $220...but we all know JCP's stuff is ALWAYS on sale.

I did end up grabbing a pair of dress shoes..rockport I think. Still deciding on the suit

Thanks for any input!
You did exactly what I would have done. Nothing wrong with Penny's.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You did exactly what I would have done. Nothing wrong with Penny's.
Absolutely! I bought my wedding gown back in 1984 through Penney's mail order catalog. My maid of honor made the suggesstion to look there. It was just gorgeous, waist to floor lace in layers with a bustle and Queen Anne neckline. It was 1/3 the price of anything I had looked at in bridal boutiques and very classic.