Join Early Retirement Today

Need my 1st men's suit- what to get and where to go?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need my 1st men's suit- what to get and where to go?

Both my wife and I are in the dark when it comes to purchasing a men's suit for me. It's about time I get a nice suit that I can wear to funerals, weddings, and the occasional court case (I have to sue in small claims every once in a while as a contractor).

I'd like to keep the outfit under $250, but it seems that may be tough. I have some ties, so I guess I'd need a jacket, slacks, shoes, and shirt. maybe $300?

I see some suits on sale for $200 at Men 's Warehouse which will need to be tailored and accessorized. Anywhere else i should look? I'm going to swing by Kohls, JCPenny's, Macy's etc for a quick look....

Finally, WHAT kind should I get? 2 button? 3 button? Color (I'm thinking I cant go wrong with black, but wouldnt mind something a bit different...maybe some pinstripes or a deep charcoal color?)

I really hate the suits many of the elders wear at my church. I like the way people like (bad example here...but it's all I've got) michael jordan look in a suit. Of course his probably cost $3k, but I like the looser fitting smooth fabrics and such

Any input would be super!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't know if you have one near you but DH had a similar situation, needed a suit for a funeral and went to Men's Warehouse. Got a great looking suit that was fitted by the in-house tailor. If I recall correctly there was no extra charge for the alterations. Price was so good we sprung for slacks and a sport coat. He really looked good in the stuff he bought.

Oh as far as what looks good on you.....take your wife with you.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Both my wife and I are in the dark when it comes to purchasing a men's suit for me. It's about time I get a nice suit that I can wear to funerals, weddings, and the occasional court case (I have to sue in small claims every once in a while as a contractor).

I'd like to keep the outfit under $250, but it seems that may be tough. I have some ties, so I guess I'd need a jacket, slacks, shoes, and shirt. maybe $300?

I see some suits on sale for $200 at Men 's Warehouse which will need to be tailored and accessorized. Anywhere else i should look? I'm going to swing by Kohls, JCPenny's, Macy's etc for a quick look....

Finally, WHAT kind should I get? 2 button? 3 button? Color (I'm thinking I cant go wrong with black, but wouldnt mind something a bit different...maybe some pinstripes or a deep charcoal color?)

I really hate the suits many of the elders wear at my church. I like the way people like (bad example here...but it's all I've got) michael jordan look in a suit. Of course his probably cost $3k, but I like the looser fitting smooth fabrics and such

Any input would be super!
You could probably get everything for under $200, but I'd recommend spending a little more and get something that's going to last. I'd highly recommend getting 100% wool -- not polyester. My personnel preference is 3 button but 2 button tends to fit better for people with large waists. I'm not sure if pinstripes are appropriate for funerals -- someone else on here might know. I'm not a big fan of pinstripes unless they're lighter. Pinstripes might look good on MJ but when I see friends in strong pinstripes I think it looks like they're trying to be too much "Wall St".

I'd recommend Men's Wearhouse. They'll likely give you the best customer service, help and advice. They're also going to have better tailors than Kohl's which will cost you another $20-50 but the way the suit fits is very important.

Two other things to consider:
Do you want a vented suit (slits in the back)? This is nice when you sit down.

Do you want flat or pleated front? Flat is a bit more contemporary, pleated tends to fit better for people with larger legs. Also, pleated legs are cuffed, flat front pants don't have a cuff.

The first real suit I bought was at Men's Wearhouse for $220. It was 5 years ago and I still have and wear the suit. Weddings, funerals, fancy dinners, parties...you'll probably wear the suit more than you think
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #4

I just learned about vented suit coats...that seems to make sense...but I dont know if I really care...I guess I just need to try em on.

I always thought pleated pants looked best, and are likely what I will shoot for. I just dont like the look of the flat front pants when part of a suit? maybe it's just me. now that i think of it, I prefer pleats as long as the pants fit loose enough past the waist

single breasted is a must

btw, i am 5-11, 165 lbs...skinny lil legs and skinny lil wrists....very broad chested.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #5

Can't beat Mens Warehouse. Three button suits are the latest but I see men on TV and they don't know how to button them. Tailor told me the facts: starting with the top button and going down, the rule is "always", "sometimes", "never". Please remember that rule of buttoning the three button suit.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My experience with men's suits is 30 years old, but I recall charcoal grey or dark blue being preferable to black.

Check yhis:
http://www.amazon.com/John-Molloys-N...1402659&sr=1-1
Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Tailor told me the facts: starting with the top button and going down, the rule is "always", "sometimes", "never". Please remember that rule of buttoning the three button suit.
Yeah, that's the rule. However, I think it's ok to leave all the buttons unbuttoned if you're sitting down or doing certain things like taking a picture with your arms outstretched around two people.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want a single suit that is all-purpose, I would go with 2 button, charcoal grey or dark blue, possibly with small/subtle pin stripes. Modest cuffs on the pants, a conservative tie (no loud colors, etc.) and a white or French blue shirt with decent shoes should complete the package. Stick with wool. You should be able to catch a good sale these days.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

But most important of all, learn to tie a full windsor knot. .

I have done so for 33 years, every work day.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I like darker, fitted suits. I have suits with 2 or 3 buttons, I can like both but it depends how they are cut. I like vented coats. I like black, charcoal, navy and I don't mind a very subtle pinstripe. I like my pants with a flat front and no cuffs. I like wool best. I am 5"9", 150 lbs and pretty fit.

Mens Warehouse is a good place to get an all-purpose suit at affordable prices.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #11

wow! what a response... keep em coming!

I'll have to post a pic once I get something...I have a court date in 3 weeks and would like to have something by then.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you think about the times you'll be wearing it (in court, maybe in an interview, maybe at a funeral, etc) these are occasions where it is to your benefit to appear conservative and 'dependable." I avoid anything faddish or that draws attention. No pleats, no cuffed slacks. A dark grey suit offers plenty of flexibility. I think Men's Wearhouse is a good bet for a suit that will fill your needs.
While you are there, if they are having a sale consider getting a blazer (as well as the suit) if you don't have one. I get a lot more use out of my blue sport coat than I do my suit--goes great with Dockers and an oxford shirt. Not as formal as a suit, but much more comfortable and right for many occasions in my experience.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I vote for dark charcoal grey, since it's the only suit you'll likely have and that will be pretty all purpose. Agree to go for wool or a wool blend.

Men's Wearhouse is a great place, as is Jos. A. Banks and Penneys. I don't know if Kohls would have much of a selection.

Photos will definitely be required on this thread when you're all dressed up, Fed!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #14

Get the best suit you can afford and then you can get nice - but cheap - shirts and ties at tjmaxx and such...kenneth cole, michael kors etc for $15 bucks or so...
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't know if Kohls would have much of a selection.
Kohl's has a good shirt/tie selection, but for suits you'll find a much larger selection at Men's Warehouse. Plus the tailoring services at MW can come in really handy.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Agree, FD--DH bought a lot of shirts for w*rk at Kohl's before ERing--they do have a great selection and good prices for dress shirts.

Also, DS bought suit "separates" a couple years ago at what is now Macy's--jacket and pants separately. They were reasonable during a sale, but if you want them for a court date in three weeks, maybe not an option if there's not a sale going on.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's some info on pleat vs flat front pants - Trousers with Pleats vs Flat Front Pants

I believe pleated pants always have cuffs and flat front pants never have cuffs. IMO, Flat front seems a bit more contemporary. Some designers (like Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss) seem to have more options with flat front pants.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

What does the guy say "Men's Warehouse, I guarantee you won't be disappointed?" And Rich-in-Tampa is correct about a full windsor knot but you also need to know a half windsor if you get a thick tie
Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Get the best suit you can afford and then you can get nice - but cheap - shirts and ties at tjmaxx and such...kenneth cole, michael kors etc for $15 bucks or so...
Can definitely get a shirt for a good price at those places. However, I would still look at Men's Wearhouse. I bought my last shirt for $40 there which was more than I wanted to pay but I love the shirt. You can tell from the look/feel that it's great quality and the fabric is textured which adds a little something to entire look.

Most importantly, I would recommend that the OP (being skinny with a wide chest) gets an athletic fit shirt because that should fit him much better on him than a regular.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
wow! what a response... keep em coming!

I'll have to post a pic once I get something...I have a court date in 3 weeks and would like to have something by then.
Yeah, you have tons of options. I would recommend going to Men's Wearhouse sooner than later because it typically takes a few days to get things tailored and you want to make sure it fits correctly when you pick it up.

I always seem to spend more than I expect when I buy a suit because paying for the tailor, tax and accessories adds up quick. You might want to pick out everything you want at MW and get the total price but set the suit aside. You could then go to Macy's or another place and compare. The same suits are usually around the same price, but shopping around would show you a few more options and give you a little more time to think it over.

Also, you might want to sign up for the Men's Wearhouse Perfect Fit club. If you spend around $300 you get a $50 certificate and they also send you other gift cards periodically.