Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Another reason I like open office, it supports linux mac and windows.
I don't know much about it; are there any negatives or cons in using this and which apps does it duplicate?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Of course you would need to purchase new apps (maybe Microsoft provides for a conversion at a reduced cost)
First, Microsoft Office for Macintosh applications were always running at least a year, and sometimes three, behind their Windows counterparts. For example, Office 2010 (for Windows) came out as Office 2011 for Macintosh. Second, the often have had significant limitations. For example, Office 2008 for Mac didn't support VBA. Third, three of the five the Office applications I use most aren't even available on the Mac: Access, OneNote, and Visio.

Quote:
but can't your PC Office files be ported over to a Mac?
No, not "port" - recreate perhaps, but not "port."

My custom Access applications can be redesigned and reimplemented on some Mac-based database platform, sure. And I can copy-and-paste the content of my vast set of OneNote books into some comparable tool that is available on Mac. And I can redraw all my data flow diagrams. But that's a lot of work for relatively little value, especially given how much what we're paying for with Apple is the "experience" rather than the utility or capabilities.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
My custom Access applications can be redesigned and reimplemented on some Mac-based database platform, sure. And I can copy-and-paste the content of my vast set of OneNote books into some comparable tool that is available on Mac. And I can redraw all my data flow diagrams. But that's a lot of work for relatively little value, especially given how much what we're paying for with Apple is the "experience" rather than the utility or capabilities.
Wow that would be overwhelming, doesn't appear reasonable for you to change platforms.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Wow that would be overwhelming, doesn't appear reasonable for you to change platforms.
Yes, proprietary data formats and custom applications were the biggest obstacles moving to a new system. We called that being a "software hostage". Many a consultant has made a fortune migrating custom apps to a new platform when support for the old one was dropped.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I do like what the MacBook Air seems like. (My minister has one.) I'm just worried about all I would lose by making such a switch. I have a lot - a lot - invested in Microsoft Office applications (including Access and OneNote), Outlook email archives going back many years, etc.
You can, of course, run Windows on your MacBook using the BootCamp software that comes with the Apple OS. You must still purchase a copy of Windows to run on the MacBook. That increases your cost.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #26

And significant reduces performance, along with practically every other advantage there may have been from going with the Mac in the first place. As far as I can tell, running Windows on a Mac is a good feature, but not if you're going to spend the majority of your time using your Mac doing so.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I switched from a Dell PC to a Mac because I just retired and I didn't have any significant investment in Windows applications plus I was using iTunes and an iPhone. The achievement was getting a laptop I would actually carry around which could also serve as my desktop. The laptop has 256 GB of solid state memory which is plenty for any mobile work I do. The 2 TB TimeCapsule more than meets my home storage needs for photos and videos and I still get a decent sized monitor for home. I have to believe that you can put together a similar system from PC's.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #28

Specs aren't the issue: You can always get a superior system for the money (on paper) as a PC as compared to Apple's offering. The issue is one of quality. My own recent Dell experience is a good example.

I bought a replacement for my 2007 Dell XPS laptop as it was getting old. I decided to try out an Inspiron. Okay let's not even talk about that, except to say that it quickly went back and a new XSP laptop arrived at my door. I was relatively shocked how similar it was to the Inspiron, how many aspects of quality have so badly degraded in the product line since 2007. Instead of a keyboard, we now get a button board. Instead of a nice, glossy screen that resists scratches, I now have a matte finish screen with loads of noticeable imperfections in it. And that's just the surface issues.

Now for all I know, Apples can have crapped-out similarly, but that's not what I hear from my family members who have drank the Kool-Aid.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #29

Yes, you may lose alot by going to the MacBook Air...but they are wonderful. I bought one a year ago, and I really, really love it. I doubt I will ever go back, but tech progresses, so never say never (I said I would never ever buy a Mac until DD got one and I saw what a great machine it was). They are a bit pricey, but they work. I constantly had problems with my MS machines, not one problem with my Macs...we have two now.

R