Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Need some help with posts/threads please
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need some help with posts/threads please

I have been trying to figure out how to keep track of threads (started by others) where i have posted with a reply. so far i've been searching on my own handle (freebird). that works but it did miss some recent posts.

how do I keep track of my post history so i can respond if someone asks a question or responds to a post i put out there within a thread started by someone else?

i don't have email notification turned on cuz it got overwhelming quickly. is this the only way to know when a reply is posted?

the quicksand is up to my earlobes....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When you go to your user CP, do subscribed threads show up there? If so, the threads you posted in will be on that list. If not, go and edit your option from no subscriptions to no email notification. Then any thread you post in will appear in the subscribed threads but you won't get the email.

The other option is to click on "new posts" and if you look at the left side of each new post there will be a downward arrow (v) to click on to get to the newest post. If you posted in that thread right next to the "v" there will be a sideways arrow (much like -->) that will take you to your most recent post. So, you can quickly scan the list to see the threads where you posted and can click that arrow to take you directly to the post and read the responses.

Sorry, no good at posting a screen shot which would have worked better for the explanation. I'll figure that out someday!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp screenshot2.bmp (960.1 KB, 5 views)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
When you go to your user CP, do subscribed threads show up there? If so, the threads you posted in will be on that list. If not, go and edit your option from no subscriptions to no email notification. Then any thread you post in will appear in the subscribed threads but you won't get the email.

The other option is to click on "new posts" and if you look at the left side of each new post there will be a downward arrow (v) to click on to get to the newest post. If you posted in that thread right next to the "v" there will be a sideways arrow (much like -->) that will take you to your most recent post. So, you can quickly scan the list to see the threads where you posted and can click that arrow to take you directly to the post and read the responses.

Sorry, no good at posting a screen shot which would have worked better for the explanation. I'll figure that out someday!
yes, under user CP, i saw the subscribed threads fine. i clicked on View All Subscribed Threads. good to go.

re other option, now i understand the arrow thing.

thanks so much for your help. i can see clearly now...
Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

For some reason this morning clicking the down arrow isn't taking us to the first new post. The error has been reported.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I need help with my posts too. I’d like to seem intelligent, clever, helpful, thoughtful and constructive. I don’t think I’ve ever been able to get this software to do that. Can you correct that problem?
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I need help with my posts too. I’d like to seem intelligent, clever, helpful, thoughtful and constructive. I don’t think I’ve ever been able to get this software to do that. Can you correct that problem?
let me know if you find that software too. LOL
Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've given up on that.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A little nip or three of the ol' bourbon before you post will at least make you think that you sound more intelligent, clever, and constructive .
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We're waiting on the Discussion Board Poster v2.0 upgrade...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

When i want to find my past posts i just click on my "user name",then click on"view public profile" and then click on "Find all posts by jambo"
Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have been trying to figure out how to keep track of threads (started by others) where i have posted with a reply. so far i've been searching on my own handle (freebird). that works but it did miss some recent posts.
I don't subscribe, personally. When in the view where I see just the thread titles, there is an arrow on the left hand side of each thread title that I have responded to. (Granted, that response may have been five pages back and posted six months ago.)

Anyway, some threads have such an arrow and are bolded, meaning that there has been a post added since I last read the thread. I read these threads first, and then if I have any more time I will read other threads as they interest me.

A great characteristic of this message board is that there are always more threads than I can read, and yet there aren't so many that I have to check "page 2" to answer posts if I come here daily.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

great tips, folks. thanks for helping me out. i'm getting more comfortable with the board and how it works. still having trouble with the Quote button. i click on Quote, type in a response, don't preview it, and Submit, and it keeps giving me a message "too few characters".

so i just use Quick Reply and check the quote message box if that's what i want to do. then i go back and edit to cut out t the parts of the quoted message if need to.

my method is a Rube Goldberg, but it works.

getting there...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
A little nip or three of the ol' bourbon before you post will at least make you think that you sound more intelligent, clever, and constructive .

Big Mistake on that part. Look over my rantings over the past two years. Especially those Friday and saturday Nights when I have been added to soooo many of the other forum members Ignore Lists.

Alcohol is a dangerous drug..
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It's convenient to add this to your bookmarks:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&folderid=all
Old 02-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's convenient to add this to your bookmarks:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&folderid=all
thanks! that's a good one to keep track of where i've been. i'm amazed at some of the folks here who bop around all the posts. i got dizzy on just 10 threads. LOL