Join Early Retirement Today

Need some snow?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Need some snow?

We got wacked this weekend with a record snowfall of 20.4 inches. Most of the time central Ohio dodges the bullet with heavy snows, not this time.

Here's a picture taken about 9 this morning as we were getting close to 15 inches depth. The umbrella pole in the center of the patio table stands 15 inches above the surface. Tonight the pole is under 3-5 inches of snow.

I'm about 1/3 done digging out our 100 ft long driveway. Some places the snow is over my knees. My little Toro snowblower just can't hack through deep snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patio-snow.jpg (159.9 KB, 16 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

oooo I miss snow like that..! Even tho' I am not a winter sports person or anything like that; I think I miss the "challenge" and the lovely contrast between shelter and 'out there'. (Here it's merely damp and chilly both inside and out during the winter.)

Thanks for the picture.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #3

If you are from the southern climate snow maybe something to fantasize about but the reality becomes old real fast when you have to deal with it on a daily basis http://www.ec.gc.ca/EnviroZine/image...hitejuan_l.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/3...8fa7c8a0cc.jpg
Old 03-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No thanks. Having our 9th highest total snowfall in recorded history this year. It has snowed more than 35 times where I live and we're at about 70" total snowfall this winter and it ain't over yet (the record is about 90"). We're sick of shoveling. Having a white Christmas is nice, after that it's all downhill...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 AM   #5

Funny how I miss that view from my old deck when those 20+ snowfalls happen. Great fun the first day or so then it gets old real fast.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty picture UH. That is going to take a lot of hot sun to melt!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Administrator

Wow! That is amazing. It looks so peaceful and pristine, and silent.

I know that shoveling and driving to work through it is no fun, though, and my sympathies to those who must. I think Khan has the right approach for an ER in snow country - - he said in another thread that he doesn't even plan to go out in it, much less shovel it, and is all set to stay inside for several days.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

No thanks! We didn't get quite as much as you did. But enough that I don't want any more.

It interferes with my bike riding.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #9

A few more pictures. It's going to be a while before this stuff melts. The first project for the day is finish cleaning the driveway and then dig my truck out of the frozen grips of old man winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow3.jpg (76.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg snow6.jpg (85.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Wow! That is amazing. It looks so peaceful and pristine, and silent.

I know that shoveling and driving to work through it is no fun, though, and my sympathies to those who must. I think Khan has the right approach for an ER in snow country - - he said in another thread that he doesn't even plan to go out in it, much less shovel it, and is all set to stay inside for several days.
Don't have to go any further than the bird feeder (30')and the mail box (100').

I have enough food for me, cat, and birds for a week.

The guy next door and the guy across the street both shoveled their driveways and got to work and back on the unplowed street (I think the main streets had been plowed).

The cat is getting wimpy in his old age (~10); he's been using the litter box all winter. When he was younger he would go for a morning walk no matter what the weather.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thanks UH, you took the bullet for us in SE Michigan. We were supposed to share in this to the tune of 10", but it skirted to the south of us (to you).

20" is more than my lil' Kubota can push anyway though, so no fun there.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #12

We got only 8" in NW Ohio. You guys paid for missing ALL the other storms this winter! Hopefully, next week's story is not about flooding.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #13

We got cold and rain. I feel lucky.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
We got wacked this weekend with a record snowfall of 20.4 inches. Most of the time central Ohio dodges the bullet with heavy snows, not this time.

Here's a picture taken about 9 this morning as we were getting close to 15 inches depth. The umbrella pole in the center of the patio table stands 15 inches above the surface. Tonight the pole is under 3-5 inches of snow.

I'm about 1/3 done digging out our 100 ft long driveway. Some places the snow is over my knees. My little Toro snowblower just can't hack through deep snow.
UH. Not to hijack, and I'm too old to put up with the snow anymore, but DW and I lived in the Columbus area for almost 10 years. We loved it there, one of the best kept secrets in the Midwest, a city with an awful lot to offer IMHO.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Don't have to go any further than the bird feeder (30')and the mail box (100').

I have enough food for me, cat, and birds for a week.

The guy next door and the guy across the street both shoveled their driveways and got to work and back on the unplowed street (I think the main streets had been plowed).

The cat is getting wimpy in his old age (~10); he's been using the litter box all winter. When he was younger he would go for a morning walk no matter what the weather.
Guy next door (2) (duplex) just finished shoveling out. He's in the back unit: ~100' of driveway. Still no snowplow.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
UH. Not to hijack, and I'm too old to put up with the snow anymore, but DW and I lived in the Columbus area for almost 10 years. We loved it there, one of the best kept secrets in the Midwest, a city with an awful lot to offer IMHO.
Thanks for the plug Midpack, we like it too. I've been here my whole life and DW's been here 41 years.

Finally got the driveway cleared and had a chance to look around the landscape a little. Some more pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow15.jpg (128.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg snow7.jpg (155.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg snow8.jpg (123.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

In mpls. we've only had about 28 inches all winter so far. All of the big storms have gone to the south and east of us. I believe Madison, Wisc. has had over 80 inches this season.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #18

ill throw some crazy pics up once my wife gets home...

the snow drifted up to 51" on my property, covering EVERYTHING

I took a cool pic of the snow melting off the roof...somehow we had an 18" overhang of snow balancing on the gutter

we just ventured out for a bit, and the snow piles at wally world are about 5 ft higher than their front doors....
Old 03-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #19

We've had enough, thank you

In early February, we got a storm that drifted the snow so badly that we were stranded for 2 days. When the county plow finally opened our country road, it pushed several feet of heavy snow across our approach road. We and a couple of neighbors hired a guy with a bulldozer to come in and push the mess back far enough to make room for the next storm. It's been a month and those snow piles have only about half melted.

Hank (tired of the white stuff)
Old 03-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

ever heard of Redfield NY? in Feb 2007, they got 141" of snow in 10 days right after the super bowl. the weather channel sent a team up there. the newscaster stood on a roof and walked down to the ground without taking a single step down.
unreal!!!