Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
"Just buy enough cable to add those wires to the connection terminals in the junction box."

Nords is thinking there.

The easy and best way is to get some lan cable i.e. "category 5" ethernet cable and run the new cable outside to the appropriate location to penetrate into the crawl. Home depot or any hardware usu sells it by the foot or something that will work.
The newer plastic phone junction boxes usually need to be broken into as they are made tamper-proof. Get enough cable length and the solder job goes away. Lan cable has 4 pairs inside, choose the color combination pair you prefer.

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone can be so sure that going all the way back to the point of entry is the 'easy and best way'? If the entry point is closest/easiest, then sure. But I would assume the phone line comes into the house and there is a closer point to tie into. Splices are super-easy with those connectors T-Al linked to.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone can be so sure that going all the way back to the point of entry is the 'easy and best way'? If the entry point is closest/easiest, then sure. But I would assume the phone line comes into the house and there is a closer point to tie into. Splices are super-easy with those connectors T-Al linked to.

-ERD50
In the case where finding the existing phone wire is vexing, and it seems so in this case, IMO, running new cable is the preferred method. I hate crawls, and mostly I hate attics. Others may see it differently.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Running a whole new line would not work well. It would have to go along the outside of the garage, over the door, along the side of the house, etc.

It looks like I will drill down from the closet into the crawlspace, then over to the wall behind the desk, and up again. Not as bad as it sounds, and kind of fun.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Running a whole new line would not work well. It would have to go along the outside of the garage, over the door, along the side of the house, etc.
You've just described the phone & CATV installations that were on this house's exterior walls for over 20 years until we did the familyroom renovation. Even then the electrician didn't have enough slack to work with, so one CATV outlet is about three feet higher on the wall than "normal". But it's hidden behind the TV furniture so nobody notices.

Unless you can hand-over-hand that cable from the phone box to its entry point into the crawl space, you're going to have to do exploratory surgery in your walls.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It looks like I will drill down from the closet into the crawlspace, then over to the wall behind the desk, and up again. Not as bad as it sounds, and kind of fun.
But then what? You said you don't see any other phone wires in the crawl. Are you going to also drill near that other jack (wall phone or high alarm? I lost track) and pull wires up to it from the crawl? Any issues drilling there?

Is there an attic above this area, or a second floor? If attic, I'd look there for phone wires, and think about coming down from there.

-ERD50
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

But then what? You said you don't see any other phone wires in the crawl. Are you going to also drill near that other jack (wall phone or high alarm? I lost track) and pull wires up to it from the crawl? Any issues drilling there?

Is there an attic above this area, or a second floor? If attic, I'd look there for phone wires, and think about coming down from there.

-ERD50
I will drill down from the closet -- no issues there -- and pull wire from the jack there into the crawlspace and over and up. I had previously led cable down from the high-shelf alarm to the floor for a phone nearby.

There is a second floor above.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

All Done

I finished adding the new line, and it was fun and easy. Total time including cleanup: 2.5 hours.

I just drilled down at an angle, and fed the wire down, and pushed it up at the other location.

From my measurements, I thought the holes were well away from the joists but I just barely missed them.

I only needed two new trips to the crawlspace:

The final results were nice and neat:

I put in two separate jacks in the living room for our two phones, even though we only have one line (avoids the splitter).

Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #48

Nice. 2 1/2 hours isn't bad for a cabling job.