Join Early Retirement Today
Need your input...expand business or stay small?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Need your input...expand business or stay small?

In the last couple of years, my business has really picked up and I am averaging 15-20 clients a week at my studio. At lot of it is through referral and many of them are weekly and bi-weekly clients. In my business 15-20 hrs is full time work, not counting the cleaning, admin, and laundry that I have to do!
I have a therapist who is pretty good and seems like a good partner to get into business with. I priced out an office in town for $350/month with utilities included. In another few months, I will have to start turning down clients since it is getting so big for me to handle....what a dilemma!
I do so well because I am able to give everyone the time they need rather than the churn and burn style of Massage Envy or Hand and Stone. I don't want to lose that if I bring in other therapists and become bigger. I know I would be a demanding boss, because I love what I do, take a lot of classes, and am constantly working on becoming better and providing a certain level of professionalism and care for my clients. I would expect them to be the same way....and not a lot of therapists have that work ethic.
So...what are your thoughts?

citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Citrine, you know that if you become a massage tycoon we will have to fire you from the board, eh?

Just joking, but you seem so happy with the life you have now, why would you want to increase your physical and mental stress? I have always thought that doing massage therapy must be physically demanding. Doing it for 30-40 hours a week could be problematic if you don't feel well. And expanding your business can bring its own headaches.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
So...what are your thoughts?
I get this pain right here when I....

Seriously, it's your life & business; if you're the boss there's no reason not to do things your way.

Any reason you can't expand on a trial basis to see how things go (find the bumps in the road, so to speak) and take it from there, one step at a time? (Cuz those are my thoughts -- one step at a time to see how things go before making serious committments).

Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man. ~ The Dude
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not knowing anything about that business, I would ask the question: would doubling the number clients double your happiness?
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
E/R scientists have reliably concluded that 10 times out of 9 doing more work is a bad thing.... ;o)
"No one's interested in something you didn't do"
Tragically Hip - Wheat Kings
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote