Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Need your prayers tonight
Old 11-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Need your prayers tonight

I took my cats to the vet this afternoon...one of them, Romeo hasn't been looking/acting right for a couple of days. He had a fever of 105, enlarged spleen, and dehydration. They are not sure what it is yet....I had to leave him at the hospital so they can get his fever down. The vet threw out FIP which is feline infectious periotenitis and is doing a comprehensive blood work on both of my guys.
I am not having luck with cats this year. I had to put my first pet, Micro down on Jan 5, 2007; I adopted another from a shelter, Danny, who had to be put to sleep due to FIP; I then adopted Romeo and Casanova which was great....but I wanted to add to our family and adopted Shakespeare....who ended up having coccidia and infecting Romeo and Casanova. I gave Shakespeare back and concentrated on getting Romeo and Casanova better. I got the results last friday that they were clear of the coccidia....and this week, Romeo is sick and they don't know why.
I am trying to hang in there....but it is hard.....so if you can keep my little boys in your prayers tonight....I would be very grateful.

Romeo is the one on the left and Casanova is on the right....during their morning bird watching.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MeoNova.jpg (492.4 KB, 12 views)
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of sad pet illnesses and losses recently. I'll be thinking of you and the little guy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #3

Tough year with the pets. Wishing for the best
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #4

I will certainly keep your kitties in my thoughts. They are adorable!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best to you and the boys - I'm sure you know that the normal temp range for a cat is: Cat... 101 to 102.2
Remember: Temperatures outside these values do not automatically
indicate that a disease or disorder is present.

So the fever is maybe not as dire as it first looks. They bounce back really well when rehydrated - sis had an old cat that had to go in and get a "camel's hump" of water injected every now and again so it could keep on ticking. Best of fortune !
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.
I got an update from the vet and his temp went down one degree which is awesome.
calmloki....they did give him the camel hump this afternoon.....it freaked me out when they brought him back in!
She told me not to get too worried before the blood work comes back....but it is hard....they are my kids.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'll be thinking of you as well. That coccidia is a tough one--the latest pair of feral kittens I rescued had one with it and one without. It has taken weeks for Vivienne to recover. I've seen it in puppies as well.

Our family is going through rough times, my sister put down her 14 year old cat Panda today, cancer of the mouth. Days like this make it mighty hard--I'm so glad you got some good news on your kitties, though. It is so worthwhile, having pets, but you have to suffer through some bad days along with the good ones.

I'll be thinking good healthy kitty thoughts for you and yours!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope your kitty is okay.

My 19.5 year-old calico (named Calico) quit eating about three weeks ago. She would stand over her food and water and look like she wanted to eat and drink but just couldn't. I took her to the vet but her temperature was not elevated and she didn't react to the vet's poking and probing. He said it could be kidney failure at her age but there was really no point in testing. I took her home and force fed her Pedialyte, baby food, and Science Diet AD for four days. She kept the food and Pedialyte down with no problem and things were coming out the other end which gave me hope. She appeared on our bed during the fourth night so I knew she was feeling better. Luckily, she started eating and drinking on her own the next day and is now back to her old self. It was very scarey and I have no idea what was wrong with her.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about that. I have had years like that with cats. Hope that Romeo does well
Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #10

Hope your guy bounces back. Beautiful cats!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We're with ya.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Will be thinking of Romeo... Hope he feels better soon.

Difficult pet year for us too. Our 18 year old cat passed away in May and though we knew it was coming, it was still very hard to see her go... She was our "baby". We are thinking of adopting two kittens next year, hopefully they'll be as cute as Romeo and Casanova...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #13

Thanks everyone....I stayed up till 3 in the morning today researching viral infections and high fevers in cats....gave myself a big headache and a lot of fear.
I got a call from the doctor this morning, Romeo's temp went down to 103.5, they wanted to do an IV....he freaked out so they gave him another hump.
I went to see him for an hour today and I am trying to keep my faith, but it has been hard. I don't like watching Casanova run around the apt. looking for his brother or leaving him all alone.
I will have more news tomorrow morning.....thank you for your prayers!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You are incredible to help out so many orphened cats. I'll be thinking of Romeo and hoping that he kicks his fever and comes home soon. I have to boys who are not brothers but were together as kittens for adoption. I know what you mean about their being so dependent on each other. Hang in there.
Getting short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #15

I picked Romeo up tonight....he still has a fever and he tested positive on both titers for the FIP test. They are also doing an ELISA test and that should tell us if he definitely has FIP....if it is positive....then it is a matter of time and it would be more humane to put him to sleep. Casanova also tested positive on one of the titers and seems to have an immunity to this for now.
I am hoping for a miracle, but preparing for the worst. I want to keep him home for a few days till either Thursday or Friday before I take him back.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Titers arent very conclusive, have some hope.

The good news is that your babies have someone to give them the care and love that they'll need, no matter what. Thats a whole lot more than a most animals get.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #17

Around 6 weeks ago, in the span of a week, we had one cat diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure and his brother diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

$2,500 and 6 weeks later (several vet appointments and a veterinary cardiologist appointment), the cat with congestive heart failure presumably wandered away outside to die. He was happy and comfortable over his last weeks, but was having more and more trouble breathing.

The other cat has been doing pretty well. We've been giving him subcutaneous fluid every other day (stick him with a needle and drop 200 ml from an IV-bag thingy). His blood tests haven't been encouraging, though he's acting mostly normal.

Our cats become part of the family, and it is traumatic when they are critically ill. Good luck.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
The other cat has been doing pretty well. We've been giving him subcutaneous fluid every other day (stick him with a needle and drop 200 ml from an IV-bag thingy). His blood tests haven't been encouraging, though he's acting mostly normal.
We gave IV fluids to our cat for 5 years. She was diagnosed with chronic renal failure at age 13 but lived a happy and healthy life until the age of 18 thanks to the subcu fluid injections (though the injections themselves were not a walk in the park).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #19

Well, the last test is coming in today at 4....if he tests positive, he has FIP. His clinical signs over the course of the night were not good....isolation, not eating, not drinking, burning up with fever, and rattling/wheezing breathing. I tried to feed him and give him water....nothing. He also gave me that look....like he has had enough.
I have been spending time with him, we all took a nap.....he is not looking anything like the picture above. I have an appointment at 5:45pm tonight to put him to sleep.
I can't wait for a few days because then Casanova is also at a higher risk and tonight I need to disinfect the apartment.
Regarding Casanova, he has tested positive for exposure to the corona virus and basically it is a 50-50 chance.....I have to watch for the clinical signs to manifest.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #20

So sorry you're going through all this! Good luck to you both. Hopefully you at least have a vet you like...