Join Early Retirement Today

Neil Armstrong RIP
Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Neil Armstrong RIP

One small step for (a) man......
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I can't remember the last time that death of someone whom I never meet brought tears to my eyes.

The word hero is overused, but is there any other word to describe what he and his fellow astronauts of that era did.

His family has a nice request which I think will be easy to honor.
Quote:
For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request: Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink"
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He was a hero of mine. Born and raised in Wapakoneta, Ohio which was the Auglaize county seat, he lived only 20 miles from my hometown. It was not too long ago that my grandson, who is in the Navy, got the opportunity to meet Neil Armstrong at Pensacoal Naval Air Station. He remarked that it was a highlight in his life. I'll never forget 7-20-1969, the day he first set foot on the moon.

News report said he had bypass surgery earlier this year. RIP Neil Armstrong, a true American hero.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
We have lost another Armstrong icon.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

In one of my jobs back in my w*rking life, I worked in a small company with both of his sons. Both are extraordinarily intelligent, and both are also what I call "good people." It was obvious that they were brought up in a good home.

I never met Neil, but since I've lived not far from him for the last 20 years, I've heard a number of stories about him. They were all good stories, meaning I've never heard even a hint of anything negative about the man.

A few tears shed here today.

RIP, Neil.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

RIP Mr. Armstrong.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The world is a lesser place without him. He taught us all to marvel at the wonders of the universe and dream impossible dreams.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Love those few minutes before the actual landing, when he piloted the lunar lander manually, landing with less than 30 sec fuel left. Nerves of steel!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #9

Statement from his family:
Statement from the Family of Neil A. Armstrong | SpaceRef - Your Space Reference
Old 08-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #10

While young, I still remember his landing on the moon. A magical time full of hope and promise. A true hero for our nation.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #11

A very big loss to the human race.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in California and my dad worked at Edwards Air Force base for NASA with Armstrong back in the 50's & early 60's when he was a test pilot at Edwards. I remember how we watched the landing on TV and dad was taking pictures of the screen. My Mom always used to tell us stories about how she used to play "footsie" with him under the table at the NASA parties. He was one of the good ones, RIP Neil Armstrong.

My dad is kneeling next to Neil on the left in this picture.

NEIL.jpg
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Korean war combat pilot, test pilot with time in over 200 types of aircraft including the X-1 and X-15, and first man on the moon. A hero and role model so much more genuine than the celebrities that crowd our public consciousness now.

If the Chinese don't hurry up and do a lunar landing we'll soon return to a time when no human alive will have walked on the moon. Sad.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I work next to a gentleman who had Neil Armstrong for a professor at the University of Cincinnati.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Neil Armstrong is famous for the moon landing. But, he should also be remembered for his heroism on Gemini 8. With the spacecraft spinning out of control and the astronauts facing death, he brought the vehicle under control and returned both he and David Scott to safely to Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_8#Emergency

Here is a great interview with Neil Armstrong done by the Australians:

CPA Australia presents An Audience with Neil Armstrong

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Neil Armstrong is famous for the moon landing. But, he should also be remembered for his heroism on Gemini 8. With the spacecraft spinning out of control and the astronauts facing death, he brought the vehicle under control and returned both he and David Scott to safely to Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_8#Emergency

Here is a great interview with Neil Armstrong done by the Australians:

CPA Australia presents An Audience with Neil Armstrong
That is a wonderful interview Chuck and very recent filmed last year. Neil looked so energetic and full of life. Hard to imagine he was dead just a year later, the hosts say he want to go gliding with Neil on his 100th birthday and doesn't seem at all far fetched.

Has anybody read his authorized biography, the review are mixed on Amazon?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I find it supremely ironic that Neil Armstrong made it safely to the moon and back, but died of a complication of a medical procedure (possibly a patient safety issue). Like space exploration, healthcare is inherently risky.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great photo, SteveNU--you must be so proud of your dad (and your mom playing footsies with Neil! what a flirt!).

Agree that Neil Armstrong is an American hero with nerves of steel.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #19

This very personal essay by a Bloomberg journalist refers to many of the attributes noted above: the piloting of the lunar lander, the Apollo 8 emergency, etc.

Memories of Neil Armstrong, Shy hero, American Patriot - Bloomberg

The article mentions one more, nearly dying in 1968 while piloting at Lunar Landing Vehicle trainer

I was going to post some kind of tribute, but this passage beats anything I could write:

Quote:
In a world where everything is about “me, me and me,” he was a rare throwback to a time when humility and character counted, when people routinely risked their lives not to get rich, bloviate or self- aggrandize, but for their country, science and exploration.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Son and DIL, both Purdue grads, recently adopted a kitten they named Neil honoring the famous Purdue alumnus. That was just a few weeks ago.......