Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

During the later part of this summer before I became, ahem, "mobility challenged" for a while and was roaming, I discovered that Ms. McKay was doing a show in a town within driving distance. Of course, I was there with a few interested people.

It was quite a bit of a different setting than the show in Indy I posted about earlier but still good. Not a huge attendance (less than 300, I'd guess) but she fits well in the more intimate places (no arena rock for this style!). The setlist was similar to the one in Indy, heavy on the new release of 60's tunes. She added a synthesizer on top of the grand to get that psychedelic thing going on a few tunes.

She stayed after for a while, chatting with attendees, and had some CDs and stuff laid out for purchase. Also some small paintings of her own (animals) that are fun. I took one of those and gave it to her to sign. Since her first album was called "Get Away From Me", I said "how about signing this 'Stay Away From Me!!!'?". She glanced at me like I was nuts, then smiled and said, "OK, but let me add...". She added, "Love, Nellie"

I posted this video a while ago in another thread (long ago and far away), and someone replied that they liked the melody but didn't understand a word she sang. That was understandable, given the video. So I will prepend the original film version of the tune that appeared in South Pacific, sung by Mitzi Gaynor. She has perfect diction. And she can dance and sing. Plus she's pretty darn cute, in my opinion. Just like Nellie.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #22

I know I've posted one of these before in a different thread, but that was before I realized that copy-and-paste on my iTouch resulted in a URL with "youtu.be" (something like that), which doesn't seem to result in an easy clickable thing on e-r.org. Besides it's just right for the season so it's back.

And followed by a new one that might be enjoyed by a few members, based on their posts (or might be appreciated, anyway). Kind of a Christmas weed rap.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #23

I saw her again last night (actually, last week but I can't pass up the opportunity to use the title of a classic 60s song with one of the best-known and preserved miscues in popular music). This was on the day that Harper Lee died.

Nellie visited Motorco | with Parts&Labor and delivered a great performance, solo on piano and uke. She was, as they say, ON that night. Well worth the trip to see and hear.

One of the tunes I enjoyed immensely is one that helped rocket Marlene Dietrich to fame and is perfect for that type of setting, which is pretty much a beer hall that's great fun. I'd not heard Nellie's version, but found a video that gives a good idea:

By the way, Miss Dietrich had a very interesting relationship to her native Germany at the time she appeared (in the 30s, and you know what was going on around that time and after).

Nellie was funny as always, and most of her comments were directed towards the current, ahem, "interesting" season, meaning political in nature, so I won't go there. After all, there's that Mod Squad constantly patrolling the e-r.org waters like U-boats armed with torpedoes for violators from the aforementioned adversary of the Allies...

She was able to stay around and talk with attendees afterward for a while, and that's a bonus. I mentioned it was my 5th time going to her shows (I guess I am approaching "Dead Head" territory now!). The first time I recall distinctly, it was in beautiful Eugene, OR at the time Nellie released her third album, Obligatory Villagers, an excellent one (but too short). That album opens with the following tune that I've posted before but which is amazingly still relevant/funny today (the album came out in 2007):

After the show, I told Nellie about Harper Lee (she hadn't heard, but was very sad to learn of it) and asked her to sign a card as if it were from Scout Finch to Boo Radley. She liked that idea and wrote: "Hey Boo, shimmy under the porch n see m'sometime. Love, Scout (Nellie)".

Now, that's a keeper!