Join Early Retirement Today

Nellie McKay
Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nellie McKay

I've scattered a few YouTubes of this artist since I've been here but I am posting to her own thread with a nod to those in or near NYC, as she is on tour (currently somewhere in the Caribbean with A Prairie Home Companion).

This tour, which is a kickoff for a new CD about-to-be-released, will come to Barnes & Noble - Tribeca at 97 Warren St, New York on Tuesday, March 24 2015. What's notable is that it will include a CD signing. She's very nice in person. You know... just in case you're looking for something a little different to do.

I'll be catching her show on the way through the midwest next month. I haven't seen her since a show with Turtle Island Quartet at DePauw University in Indiana (I think late 2013).

What you don't get on a CD is her patter in between tunes (she made a go at being a standup comedian in the past) which is very entertaining. Her first CD, released around the time that Norah Jones' Come Away With Me was zooming up the charts, was called Get Away From Me.

Her mom appeared in the movie The Shining, and acted as her manager at least for a while (don't know if that's still the case).

She has a website at the expected place: Nellie McKay

I won't post another video here, but one I recall is here (hope this works!)

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...2-a-64148.html

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Nellie McKay
Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Nellie McKay

Nellie's take: "Work Song".

http://youtu.be/_PQQsOVbe3I

Old 03-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love her. I'm a Prairie Home Companion fan. Garrison lives down the street from me.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Love her. I'm a Prairie Home Companion fan. Garrison lives down the street from me.

That is outstanding! He makes a lot of people very happy (and a little wiser in the process).

Old 03-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

He has done well by St. Paul.

I was once sitting in the chair at the hair salon and he was in the next chair having his eyebrows trimmed. He's an odd looking man.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He has done well by St. Paul.

I was once sitting in the chair at the hair salon and he was in the next chair having his eyebrows trimmed. He's an odd looking man.

My mom once said (about Humphrey Bogart): "When the movie starts, I think 'that is one ugly man', but by the end I think 'you know, he's really handsome'".

Old 03-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #7

Nice saying. I think that's how people felt about Abraham Lincoln.

Have you seen a live show?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have you seen a live show?

I've not, unfortunately. But I'd love to see one. I was very excited to see the movie!

Old 03-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Two fun things today (so far):

I filled the propane tank for my grill. It's warm enough. I don't know if I can deplete it over the next month but I'll give it a good try!

I received the alert to expect my CD of the new release My Weekly Reader on Monday. Just in time to study up before Nellie hits the Midwest!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Got it this morning! It is so cool to hold a hot-off-the-press new release physical CD.

Oh, to be in "the city so nice, they named it twice" today!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw her live at the Deer Head Inn.
She played my request for "The Dog Song".
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I saw her live at the Deer Head Inn.
She played my request for "The Dog Song".

That's a good one to request. Here it is, I already posted a while ago. But not in her very own thread!

http://youtu.be/oIbpxHBmvYY

Nellie McKay
Old 03-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Nellie McKay

From the "Is there any way you could possibly be MORE biased?" Department:

Nellie's new CD is a winner. It's a total salute to the 60s (e.g., the first track is a tune written by Ray Davies). It was co-produced with Geoff Emerick, who made his bones engineering some classic Beatles recordings (the only Beatles track is a faithful cover of "If I Fell"). Wikipedia has a good page on him and his career to date.

A player I recognized is Bob Glaub on electric bass. Also Dweezil Zappa.

Also credited is steel guitar. I don't recall her using one before.

Nellie's not for everyone, but I'll come to hear her anytime.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Nellie appeared on A Prairie Home Companion this week (4/18/2015). It's archived at the show's website.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't get it. I Hated the work song, hated the be nice to me-killer chick song and can see the talent in her jazz riffs but no enjoyment.
I see how it can be a mix of PHC and NY NY. I think I'm too dull.
lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I don't get it. I Hated the work song, hated the be nice to me-killer chick song and can see the talent in her jazz riffs but no enjoyment.
I see how it can be a mix of PHC and NY NY. I think I'm too dull.

I bet you're not dull at all. It's just not your preferred type of music. There are styles/musicians I don't like, too.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Last week, I went to Indy to see Nellie on the (ongoing) tour. The show was held in the Cabaret at Columbia Club downtown. Pretty swanky place, complete with dress code. I complied because, after all, as Sinatra liked to say, "If you wanna look dead, dress dead."

She did the show solo, alternating between piano and uke. Lots of jokes thrown in for good measure.

Great show, lots of tunes from the new CD but older ones as well and a few surprises. I won't say much in the way of specifics in case you get a wild hair (as the saying goes) and check it out for yourself.

I will mention the first surprise, though. The show opened at the piano with something I didn't recognize, and I guessed she was just riffing. She went into a tune I hadn't heard in a long time. It's "Compared To What", as done in a classic recording by Les McCann and Eddie Harris. Someone posted this video a while ago (thank you, whoever that was). I can't find the thread, but it's OK here, too. It's on their LP Swiss Movement. Nellie did it solo (piano and vocal) and didn't miss a thing. I'd love to go somewhere that had two grands, facing each other: McCann and McKay.

Warning before clicking: this is flat-out jazz:

Of course, there are no YouTubes of the current tour, so I thought I'd post a studio track from Nellie's first CD. That's her on the keys, and she wrote the tune.

She grew up in NYC with a single mom, not much money. I guess this is about that experience. It's called "Manhattan Avenue". She was probably around 19-20 at the time. I wrote some stuff when I was about that age that I still remember but they were things only a parent would be proud of. This, on the other hand, in my opinion, is near-prodigy-eligible.

"Music, in even the most terrible situations, must never offend the ear but always remain a source of pleasure."

-- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Old 05-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

After Nellie played Indy, the tour headed up to Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music. I could have gone to either, but I thought (actually, know) it is easier to navigate Indy than Chicago, so I chose to head off in the direction where you can say, "Howzit hangin', Hoosier?"

Below is an event announcement I came across for the Old Town show that's nice and has a little information about her recent activities. There's also a video tab that has a few, saving some clutter here at e-r.org. The copy is mostly stuff from other sources, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I like the 60s-inspired quote, "Freedom's just another word for turning off your phone"

https://www.oldtownschool.org/concer...lie-mckay-7pm/

Old 05-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I notice that Nellie's working her way along the West Coast. I only know this because there's a calendar of shows that magically show up on my iPod calendar.

She'll be done by Memorial Day. But I smiled when I saw that (as of now) the last date is May 23 at some place called Dosey Doe - The Big Barn in somewhere called The Woodlands. I never heard of that place before being at e-r.org.

Nellie McKay
Old 06-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Nellie McKay

The night before I went to Indy to see Nellie's show, I was thinking "hmmm, how can I get in the right frame of mind to hear her?". I'd been loading up my DVR with movies recorded off TCM in preparation for cutting the cable TV cord and remembered I had a Doris Day movie I'd never seen called Julie. It's not like most of those I recall, the light comedies with Rock Hudson and so on. It's actually a bit of an airplane disaster thing too, and it's good.

I knew that Nellie had released an album of Doris Day covers called Normal As Blueberry Pie that I really like, so the movie choice came from that. A few weeks ago, I was searching to learn who composed one of the tunes on that release, and I ended up at a Barnes and Noble website with the CD (w/bonus track) for sale. They also had a video link that's a promo from its release, and here it is. Doris, tunes from the 40s/50s and earlier, and Nellie - I like all three of them.

And for good measure, it's followed by a Doris-Johnny interview I'd never seen before.