Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...o-quit-netflix

Netflix is splitting DVD / streaming into separate plans. But they can rebundle them for you - for approximate 50% increase.

So we dropped the streaming and will save $2 a month. IMO Netflix streaming isn't worth the extra $. We may cancel everything and go to redbox.

Any redbox fans out there? Any other alternatives?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

This will be interesting. I like streaming, but there isn't enough selection for us to really keep it all the time.

Redbox is o.k., but my biggest issue was returning the rental on time when Blockbuster was around, that is one reason we loved Netflix, find the DVD 2 weeks later, no problem. Redbox...$14 fee
Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
This will be interesting. I like streaming, but there isn't enough selection for us to really keep it all the time.

Redbox is o.k., but my biggest issue was returning the rental on time when Blockbuster was around, that is one reason we loved Netflix, find the DVD 2 weeks later, no problem. Redbox...$14 fee
Same reason I'm tempted to keep Netflix even though they've tee'd me off with this 60% increase. I've currently got a DVD I've had for almost 3 weeks, which would be a problem with Redbix. I use streaming mostly, although the pickings are getting slim. But I like to watch on my laptop, which doesn't play Blu-ray. I guess I could dump streaming, dump Blu-ray, and save $5/month. I feel the need to do something to send a message, without cutting my nose off to spite my face.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Just moving into the Roku box experience - haven't tried Netflix in any incarnation yet, but am considering Hulu+ - maybe instead? We are weaning ourselves away from Dish - about cut our bill in half and aren't feeling deprived yet.

Good freebies for movies and ooold tv shows on the Roku box include Classical tv, Pub-d-Hub, and Inmoo (look under genres).

Other suggestions?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The "streaming" part sounded like a good idea which got me to sign up for a plan, but there is so little on the streaming service that I want to watch. And I rarely turn in the DVDs promptly, so my per disk rental cost is pretty high. This sounds like the jolt I need to cancel this service and do something more cost effective.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I will drop streaming, too as I only used it twice, so my plan will drop a couple bucks. I watch one a week either fri. or sat. with GF, so I watch 4 a month without having to turn in next day. Red box seemed to have more scratched dvd's than Netflix does, at least that has been my experience.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

We usually use Red box maybe a couple of times per month. We take the movie upstairs and sit it out in view, as soon as we finish watching it. My DH will sometimes return it while he is doing his walk.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the second price increase in less than a year for Netflix. I dropped my service (streaming+3dvds+bluray) with the last increase.

While the networks were pumping out new content and posting it on their websites for free, no Netflix was no problem.

Now that it's summer, I have come crawling back, but only for the streaming service. Enough new content has appeared that it will get me through the lean months. I'll drop the service again in September.

Long term, as more content is licensed, I expect their streaming prices to trend towards those found with cable. I also suspect they are just waiting for the right time to introduce a plan partially supported by advertising.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #9

I watch streaming movies 4 days a week while DW is off being non-retired. We both watch a Netflix Blu Ray disc on the weekend. DS uses two of our four DVD's at a time to watch DVD's on his computer. DS was going to be paying for his own account in another month anyway. We'll probably drop down to 2 out at a time and keep the streaming, depending on the cost. Staying with the old plan would be +$10, not worth it.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We will drop streaming too. We seem to only use it when we have company but Red Box makes more sense now. We will see about the DVD service...I do like the convenience of liberal returns.

We dropped all of our premium Dish channels a few years ago so our movie watching is limited to what we can rent or borrow. I despise watching movies on commercial TV, the commercials ruin the movie and it takes forever to watch one.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:53 AM   #11

I changed my subscription with Netflix last night. Now I have the 2 CDs at a time deal only.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #12

I have the 1 DVD at a time + unlimited streaming plan. Honestly, I always thought that $10/month was a incredibly good bargain for how much I watch. Now that the equivalent will cost me $16 instead of $10, I still think it's an incredible bargain. (I watch a lot of movies.) I don't mind that I can't get new releases, there are so many not-so-new movies and TV shows available on steaming that I don't understand why some complain about 'limited selection'. I don't have cable TV, no video stores or RedBoxes nearby, so Netflix +Roku is my sole source for movie entertainment.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #13

No cable, no TV, for 6+ years, so we are streaming, The Office, Glee, and available movies. Now I see Twin Peaks is on wonderful. There is so much we haven't seen, we will never run out of steaming stuff.
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Administrator

Since we began using Netflix streaming our dvd rental has dropped to almost nothing. Not sure when we will do with this announcement, but odds are we will cancel the dvd mailer and just keep streaming.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Given the options. I would probably keep the streaming and drop the DVD option.

They must suspect that the net effect will be increased revenue and lower expenses... higher net income!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking to go streaming only too. You can drop/suspend the DVDs and if you pick it up later your queue is still there. I may resume later when there are more movies I want to rent but right now I haven't been all that excited by the ones I've been getting anyway.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #17

We've been doing streaming + 1 DVD at a time and I think we will drop the DVDs. I thought about dropping the streaming for the summer, too, we don't tend to watch as much.

Another option that we've used a few times is Zediva.com. It's a company in CA that has a large facility that somehow plays actual DVDs and streams them to you. The upside is that they're new releases, all the stuff that's missing from Netflix. The downside is that because they are physically playing the DVD there are only so many to go around and you can't always get the newer ones on a weekend evening because they're all checked out.

Zediva is relatively new, and not nearly as sophisticated as Netflix about helping you find movies. They also don't have nearly the selection. But there's no subscription, you just pay by the rental, so it's a nice option to have.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #18

I will probably drop the DVD and keep streaming. There are a lot of kid programs/movies on that I enjoy watching with my daughter.

I may try redbox. I think there is one here at one of the barracks. I hear they have blu-rays now, so may give it a chance.

I too have spent a long time just looking for something to watch in the streaming catalog. WIsh they had newer stuff.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I used to have the unlimited DVD with BlueRay service. I recently dropped that to 2 DVDs per month only by snail mail delivery, no BlueRay. I don't use streaming at all.
I left myself a calendar note to chime in midAugust to check the new rate for only 2 DVDs per month.
We are not avid new release movie watchers, so if the barebones rate increase is too high for our typical usage, I may cancel. TBD...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I changed my subscription with Netflix last night. Now I have the 2 CDs at a time deal only.
+1 - I am doing the same thing. I think this is one of those greed deals, now that they got all the new subscribers, let's hit them hard. It may hurt them in the end........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote