Join Early Retirement Today

Netflix Again!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Administrator

Netflix Again!

A reversal. From Reed Hastings blog (Netflix CEO) http://blog.netflix.com/2011/10/dvds...etflixcom.html

Quote:
DVDs will be staying at netflix.com

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs. This means no change: one website, one account, one password… in other words, no Qwikster.
While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.
This is looking more and more like a circus.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And any publicity is good publicity.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It does look a little amateurish.

But the space is changing. The effects of their announcements and their changes along with their competitors responses may have made things look a little different.

In the end... the DVD business is either a drag on them that they needed to get rid of or a cash cow to fund other future opportunities.

IMO - There is a business advantage to being the entire (or broad) entertainment solution... rather than pushing customer (DVD only) out the door.

Plus, if quickster were really a spin-off (and not just a subsidiary company) there would probably be a no compete period... after that they could compete with netflix in the streaming business.

Or... they could be finding that the combined businesses give them more scale to negotiate better deals with video suppliers.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The stock market is screaming ahead--Neflix falls to new low for the year--
DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKE.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Two words: New Coke.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Right on..
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #7

I agree. I stopped Netflix online streaming last month and went from 3 movies at a time to 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

This is looking more and more like a circus.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
The stock market is screaming ahead--Neflix falls to new low for the year--
DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKE.
It certainly doesn't do much to instill investor confidence in their management or its marketing decisions...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
I agree. I stopped Netflix online streaming last month and went from 3 movies at a time to 2.
+1 - Their price increase actually saved me a couple bucks. I dropped the stream that I never used and just have a one at a time DVD plan.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I totally cancelled my account.

At least they're starting to listen to their customers. Better to be wishy-washy with happy customers than stubborn with unhappy ones.

If they improve their streaming content available, I'll reopen my account at that point.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
+1 - Their price increase actually saved me a couple bucks. I dropped the stream that I never used and just have a one at a time DVD plan.
Me too! And so far it's working out---could always get a Red Box movie for $1 or up the plan to 2 at a time.

But----I will admit that I overreacted. I used to think nothing of paying $4 for a movie at Blockbuster----and would get 4 a month. Had to get it back on time, drive to get it, drive to get it back---so Netflix really is a bargain when you think about it...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I am absolutely out of touch but with all the free content on cable or the inter-net why spend money on this stuff Of course I am a charter member of the Ozzie & Harriet generation so may be clue less.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #13

Kind of like Netflix is the anti-Apple. They know how to make all the wrong moves. Very luckily I sold all my Netflix stock before its plunge, though it was just a small amount. I wouldn't trust their management anymore after the streaming webpage changes and the fake-out split. And really, the new webpage bugs me more than the split.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Dish bought Blockbuster and is offering Blockbuster Movie Pass to its subscribers. $10/month for online streaming, one DVD at a time, and a few extra channels. I don't know how their streaming content compares to Netflix. If you're a Dish customer, it's worth a look.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #15

I wish I still owned my Netflix. I owned it shortly after the IPO, and sold it shortly later when it doubled.

Even after the drop, the increase in price since I sold it easily makes selling it my largest investing mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Kind of like Netflix is the anti-Apple. They know how to make all the wrong moves. Very luckily I sold all my Netflix stock before its plunge, though it was just a small amount. I wouldn't trust their management anymore after the streaming webpage changes and the fake-out split. And really, the new webpage bugs me more than the split.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
You mean that you can expect weeks of great publicity if you threaten to take away something your customers will testify to the world that they truly love?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Reed Hastings’s Net Worth Falls by $640 Million - The Wealth Report - WSJ

One of my favorite WSJ bloggers reports:
Quote:
Netflix founder Reed Hastings owned 5.21%, or 2,815,982 shares, of Netflix stock as of April. Some of those shares are options, which he would have to exercise to sell.
If we do the math based on his ownership of the shares, his stake in the company was worth $858 million when the stock peaked in July at $304.79.
Today? Well, the picture is a little different. Netflix stock is down to $77.17, which means his stake is worth $217 million.
That brings his total loss in net worth to $641 million.
(Again, that number is likely inflated since we don’t know the strike price of the options. A Netflix spokesperson declined to comment on the personal finances of its management).
I'll bet he never expected to be part of this 1% club...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Reed Hastings’s Net Worth Falls by $640 Million - The Wealth Report - WSJ

One of my favorite WSJ bloggers reports:

I'll bet he never expected to be part of this 1% club...
Oh well, if nothing else, he probably got himself removed from "More Tax Buffet's" speed dialer..
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Administrator

He sold 5k shares per week for more than 2 years. Over the past year alone he has collected more than $50M. He has done better than most investors.

Why a founder and owner needs stock options is not clear to me, but the the BoD must see a benefit.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have yet to find a better deal than Netflix even after the price increase. DVD's delivered to my door. A huge library of movies, TV shows and documentaries that I can order from. A fine library of foreign films. All for about $18 a month.

I stopped my streaming account because 100% of what I want is on DVD, compared to less than 25% that is on streaming. I guess I don't understand the fuss about streaming since the offerings are so small compared to DVD's. And if the ISP's start capping usage, streaming will be in a world of hurt.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote