Join Early Retirement Today

Netflix cancellations
Old 01-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Netflix cancellations

You may have noticed... Dozens of Netflix movies and especially TV shows were cancelled as of Jan. 1, 2017, including my two favorite "go to sleep with" series, "Murder She Wrote" and "Columbo".

The $10/mo. cost isn't so bad, but with the wide range or Free Roku shows available, and the "free" offerings on Amazon Prime, I'll probably cancel Netflix.

Living in a CCRC complex, I found that most of the residents favor the re-runs of old shows on some of the PBS channels, and MeTV. My guess is that Netflix may have shot themselves in the foot by cancelling the vintage shows.
YMMV. I can't get used to newer network series... too dark, shallow, noisy, and pushing my old fashioned moral standards.

Here's the list of shows that are no longer available.

Leaving Netflix in January 2017 – Here’s the Full List! | Movies, Netflix, Television : Just Jared
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cancelled Netflix sometime ago. I Like Prime just as well and enjoy all the other benefits. I'll probably subscribe to Netflix here and there to watch a couple of series I have followed. That's the good thing about a month to month pay system.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I cancelled Netflix sometime ago. I Like Prime just as well and enjoy all the other benefits. I'll probably subscribe to Netflix here and there to watch a couple of series I have followed. That's the good thing about a month to month pay system.
+1
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Netflix seems to have delusions of remaking itself into a premium original content provider like HBO or AMC - to the detriment of maintaining its catalog of movies. What little is left over from their production budget seems to be spent on licensing cheap grade Z dreck to pad their list and make it appear they still have a decent number of shows available.

I was still coughing up the $8/month just from inertia and the increase to $10 was my trigger to dump. I haven't missed them.

PS. If you want older TV give Hulu Plus a try. Lots of older stuff on there.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

I enjoy seeing old series but find I can get them from my library on DVD pretty easily. I like Netflix for the ever changing new and original content. Also, there are websites that will tell you in advance what shows are going on and off Netflix each month.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm still enjoying Netflix immensely and don't mind the loss of some old shows (haven't felt the pain yet). They add enough new content to keep it fresh.

We just started watching The Office (US version) after taking a break for many years. Not bad for the $5 per month we pay (we share an account with my mom). Our kids also enjoy it and they are able to watch it on any of the six computers in the house or on their tablets or on the TVs with media players attached. It's approximately 1000x better than cable TV (no commercials; always on demand; flexible viewing options around the house and around the globe) at just a few percent of the cost.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
You may have noticed... Dozens of Netflix movie and especially TV shows were cancelled as of Jan. 1, 2017
"Cancelled" isn't quite the right word. Netflix had contracts with the owners of these movies and TV shows to allow the shows to be available to Netflix subscribers for a certain period, and those contracts expired. This happens constantly at Netflix and all the others Internet video providers like Hulu, Amazon, etc. New movies and shows roll in, and ones that have been available for several years roll out. That doesn't mean those shows won't ever be back. Just means Netflix has to prioritize and shuffle things around, all the while trying to strike the best licensing deals with content owners. Sometimes a particular content owner might be asking for an unreasonably high fee for continuing to have its shows on Netflix, so the business-savvy folks at Netflix play hardball and let the licensing deal expire. Often, this brings the content owner back to the table after a while, and then a deal gets done for a more reasonable price.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I don't subscribe to Netflix, but Frank does, and we live right next door to each other, so.... Anyway, I don't think Netflix cares if my TV is connected to his Netflix now and then. Actually I don't use Netflix at all, except when he is over here. We each have Amazon Prime, too, and he has Hulu.

Between those three, and our excellent OTA stations, he seems to have access to plenty of shows that he likes. Periodically he will tell me mournfully that some show is ending on Netflix, but he always finds another that he enjoys nearly as much.

As for me, I never seem to get around to watching TV at all, except when he is over here and wants to watch something. For some reason I am never at a loss for leisure activities and sources of entertainment in retirement. What a great life.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
"Cancelled" isn't quite the right word. Netflix had contracts with the owners of these movies and TV shows to allow the shows to be available to Netflix subscribers for a certain period, and those contracts expired. This happens constantly at Netflix and all the others Internet video providers like Hulu, Amazon, etc. New movies and shows roll in, and ones that have been available for several years roll out. That doesn't mean those shows won't ever be back. Just means Netflix has to prioritize and shuffle things around, all the while trying to strike the best licensing deals with content owners. Sometimes a particular content owner might be asking for an unreasonably high fee for continuing to have its shows on Netflix, so the business-savvy folks at Netflix play hardball and let the licensing deal expire. Often, this brings the content owner back to the table after a while, and then a deal gets done for a more reasonable price.
On thing I thought was interesting - I noticed that sometimes they would have an entire season of a particular series except one or two shows. I was told that this happens sometimes because they weren't able to get a license for just one of the musical songs that just happened to be used during that one show.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #10

I'm really impressed with Hulu. I find much more of interest there than on Amazon Prime or Netflix. In just a few weeks, I plan to cut the cord and ditch the DVR.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
I'm really impressed with Hulu. I find much more of interest there than on Amazon Prime or Netflix. In just a few weeks, I plan to cut the cord and ditch the DVR.
Hula is suppose to have a package similar to Sling and PS Vue soon. Including their regular VOD for under $40.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

We use both Netflix and Amazon Prime. DW watches them far more than I do. We also subscribe to Curiosity Stream, which is what I watch most of the time. It's a $5/mo "add-on" to Amazon Prime that offers high-quality documentaries and series related to science, technology, history, etc. Very good programs that interest me far more than fictional TV shows. Any way you slice it, the ad-free subscription model is a real win for consumers vs the typical cable triple-play rip-off.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I like Netflix the best, followed by Amazon Prime video, and I top them off with FREE OTA TV. Yes, I have a simple flat-wave indoor antenna that gives me pretty good reception. I have hooked the TV and the antenna to a Tivo Roamio OTA DVR so I can record shows for later viewing, pause them while watching them, skip commercials on many prime-time shows, fast forward and reverse. I paid a bit extra to get the lifetime guide for my Tivo (the unit's lifetime not mine) so there are no monthly fees for using the Tivo.

As I write this I am watching an NFL playoff game broadcast OTA for free. One of the many commercials is on and I have paused the playback. When I am done writing this response, I will FF and skip the commercial. Very nice.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hula is suppose to have a package similar to Sling and PS Vue soon. Including their regular VOD for under $40.
I'm happy with Hulu's $11.99 commercial-free plan. No interest in paying $28 more for live TV.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm happy with Hulu's $11.99 commercial-free plan. No interest in paying $28 more for live TV.
Is it really commercial free now?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Is it really commercial free now?
Yep, with a handful of exceptions (none of which are shows I watch) that have a single commercial before and after. From their site:

Quote:
For a small number of shows, however, we have not obtained the rights to stream commercial free and they are not included in our No Commercials Add-on. You can still easily access these shows with a short commercial before and after each episode with no interruptions during the episode. Specific shows that still have commercials accessible through the No Commercials Add-on will be noted throughout the signup, switching and playback experience. While the list of shows may change, they are currently: Grey’s Anatomy, Once Upon a Time, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Scandal, Grimm, New Girl, and How To Get Away With Murder.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I like Netflix, but had my account hijacked yesterday. Someone hacked my account, changed the email address, password, telephone number and upgraded to the four screen ultra HD package. Fortunately Netflix sent out the change emails to the old email address (mine) and I was able to call them to get things cleared up. They could only identify my account by the credit card used to pay the monthly fee. Now I have a much longer and more difficult password. I think I'll be changing all my passwords this week.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No problem, just letting you know. I'm pretty sure it comes with dvr as does my PS Vue. I record and skip through the commercials. Main reason I have Vue is for all the sports channels. Got to have the Golf Channel. If I didn't care for those, I would probably be Prime and Netflix only.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #19

Artificial scarcity.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Love Netflix and think its a great bargain. Currently halfway through season one of The Crown and think its very well done. Just got Amazon Prime video here in Canada and enjoying a couple of their series right now - Red Oaks was good and Man in the High Castle I am on episode 2. Not much content yet but they just launched in Canada last month.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote