Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brewer12345, If you get the Roku, get the Roku 3. It's worth the extra $30 or so to get the latest and greatest tech. Example, the remote operates via wifi so you don't need line of site to the base Roku, and I believe it has a headphone jack in the remote that might be nice at times. It might also have faster wifi, but I am not sure of that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Brewer12345, If you get the Roku, get the Roku 3. It's worth the extra $30 or so to get the latest and greatest tech. Example, the remote operates via wifi so you don't need line of site to the base Roku, and I believe it has a headphone jack in the remote that might be nice at times. It might also have faster wifi, but I am not sure of that.
Its processor runs roughly 5 times faster than the earlier units. Roku 3 is the way to go.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
DW wants a streaming device and it seems like the Roku family has the most options for who they play with. Easy to use? Problems? Reviews?
IMO, they are OK. But I really think the way to go is with a laptop or maybe tablet with HDMI output, connected to the TV. I guess there are wireless ways to do this to, but wire is simple and reliable.

My reasoning is, the Netflix app on a computer, with full sized mouse/keyboard (or trackpad if you are OK with those), is far easier to use than any little app on a little device. The computer Netflix app is, IMO, far better than on either the ROKU or our Vizio 'smart TV'. And they seem to keep the computer versions up-to-date. I'm still waiting for the ROKU to support 'profiles' on the Netflix app - the desktop version has had it for almost a year I think. This way, I don't have a bunch of 'chick flicks' in my watch list, and DW doesn't get documentaries in hers.

And anything you can get on your computer is available to you (most local TV stations have all sorts of their stuff on-line), youtube, and everything else, with the same interface you are already familiar with.

Plugging and unplugging a laptop may not be super convenient though (I just leave an HDMI cable plugged into the TV, tucked off to the side). But it's not bad.

-ERD50
Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Got a roku3 for our newer tv, but had to get a roku1 (roku2 was sold out) for an old tv we still use that has no hdmi input. R3 is hdmi only.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have Android MX2 box and canceled Neflix subscription. Google for searching for free movie stream site will work too but the box makes it very easy.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #26

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I'm using the Roku 3 to stream my Netflix & Amazon Prime viewings. Earlier today, I went ahead & canceled the free 1 week intro to Hulu Plus before it became a paid subscription.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

sounds like netflix is worth a try. thanks for the input.

frank
Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #28

We have Netflix and Hulu plus, and have a couple of Roku's for our TV's. I would get a Roku 3 over their older products.

We cut our cable back to the local channels that you get free with internet, so we pretty much just watch Netflix and Hulu. Hulu has commercials. We have it mainly for recent shows like The Colbert Report and The Daily Show. If you are still getting TV shows from another source, I would recommend Netflix or Amazon over Hulu.

Netflix and Amazon have a lot of good content, but it is generally older. If you want recent episodes of shows, Hulu plus is better, but it has commercials.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Netflix and Amazon have a lot of good content, but it is generally older. If you want recent episodes of shows, Hulu plus is better, but it has commercials.
+1

Very true. My problem with HULU is that I find most current TV shows to be very boring. The few that I like are only on paid services that require cable plus a premium package. But, there are not enough to be worth the huge extra dollars I would have to pay to see them. So..... they can keep their shows and I will keep my money.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #30

One more comment on this. As we shift our viewing from cable to netflix / prime, where the programming is commercial free, we find the constant commercial interruptions on cable to be even more of a bother. Also, the regulation about not raising the sound levels for commercials seems to be ignored by whoever is supplying the programming, as of late the noise is clearly back up to its previous abusive levels.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #31

I'm a tivo person. I cut the cable this week (after yet another rate increase.)
We have amazon prime (for the free shipping) which is not integrated with tivo (unlike Amazon PPV). I use an old Motorola Xoom tablet hooked into the hdmi port. The cable isn't very long, though - so I have to get up off my tookus to pause.... (the horror!!!!). (Note to self - look into bluetooth mouse for the xoom.)

My tv is older - only 2 hdmi ports... so one is for tivo, and one is for the xoom.

I tried chromecast for amazon prime - it buffered too much and disconnected. Hopefully they'll improve that chrome extension and I'll be able to sit in my chair with my laptop in my lap and pause and play without effort. LOL

Tivo has apps for hulu, amazon instant video (pay per view), youtube, netflix, etc. But it's a pricey box.