Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Missed this one!

Hey, so with the firmware upgrade at new years, how are you liking the HD quality? I'm excited about new channels etc. I'm running 802.11g as well and having no problems.
I was out of town over the new year and wasn't aware of the change. It's currently running on a non-HD television, so I'll have to move it to see the difference.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi guys. We just finished the free trial period for instant netflix (we are still in Tokyo, but DH can VPN in and make it look like we are in CA in order to be able to get access) and decided to continue on in order to watch some older shows. We can see things clearly (fast internet here) so, my question is - what would be the advantage of getting the Roku box. It sounds neat and I know you can que movies up, but what is its advantage over a large hard drive?

As an aside, we started watching Heros and I'm so glad we waited to watch it here. After living in Japan for a year and a half we can relate to the Japanese character so much better and even have fun trying to understand the Japanese he is speaking.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

It just slings the signal to your T.V. so you can watch it on a bigger screen. If you are using another method to watch it on a big t.v., keep doing it! Although, if you are in Japan, I'm thinking a 20 inch monitor is a big screen in the average 350 sq. foot apartment in Tokyo, right?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #24

Thank Laurence! Luckily, we have an apartment that is just over 1000 sq. feet and a nice sized tv that we can hook up to the computer via cables from the Apple store. So, I guess we're set.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, my friend has the same setup via Apple, loving life.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Mac Mini as part of my entertainment center with several USB HD tuners plugged in for recording.

Since Netflix released the instant watch software for the Mac we have watched a few shows and it generally works well. I have ran into a few movies where the audio and the video are out of sync by several seconds which makes the movie unwatchable. Coming back days later the movie is still out of sync so I assume it is a problem at the source.

Jeb
Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY View Post
I have ran into a few movies where the audio and the video are out of sync by several seconds which makes the movie unwatchable. Coming back days later the movie is still out of sync so I assume it is a problem at the source.
You sure those aren't just old dubbed kung-fu movies?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You sure those aren't just old dubbed kung-fu movies?
Nope, no dubbed movies. I was trying to watch some movies that were going off of Instant Watch the end of the year. The only one still available, if you want to try, is Tootsie. I just checked it and it is still out of sync. This is the 4th time I have tried it over the last month or so. I have watched movies that are in sync so I don't think it is a system problem.

Jeb
Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #29

Grave digging this old thread.

A couple of weeks ago, I got myself a Samsung Blu-Ray player that also does the streaming Netflix thing. For the most part, it has been great! We just finished watching all 29 episodes of Jericho, which was a very good show. However, 3-4 of the episodes had the sound get disconnected from the pictures. Sometimes it would be a good 3 seconds or more off. Reminded us of Singin' in the rain (No, no, no! ... Yes, yes, yes!). Jeb, still having that problem?

Overall, the streaming thing is really cool. We've got 30 or so items in the Instant Queue, so it'll take us quite a while to get through that list.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually have two Netflix accounts - one for us, one for the kids. When the kids have friends over, they can watch the instant movies in the family room using Xbox live, and we watch a movie in the living room using the Roku. They both go to big screen HD TVs. It works great!

I actually like the fact that you have to pick the movies out on the PC first because that way I can check the ratings for the movies the kids watch before I put anything in the instant queue.

The instant movies even include things like yoga and exercise videos.

The Netflix instant movie selection isn't nearly as wide as their mail out DVD selection, but they do rotate in some newer movies regularly and I have found many really good, slightly older movies I never saw the first time around.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #31

Roku Update

Thought I'd update after a couple of months with Roku. We eliminated the comcast HD, reduced the subscription to a "basic digital" package not listed on their website and rescanned the plasma for local HD signals. The result - we are watching fewer netflix dvds, still get most of comcast digital programming (no hd or premium), get broadcast HD OTA - but spend most of our (limited) TV time watching netflix "instant to tv" or comedy channel.

Roku programming is still a bit thin but well worth the cost. In fact, it's already paid for Highly recommended.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I need to get a DVD player, I'm POed at Mediacom, and I'm thinking about Netflix. I was thinking about getting a Samsung Blu Ray player that could stream Netflix. So I thought I would ask here.

Kronk, if you don't mind me asking, which model did you get? The Netflix site gives 4 models (1600, 2500, 3600, and 4600), but when I follow the link to the Samsung site for more info I get a page not found error. Also, has the out-of-sync issue been resolved?

I don't need the hottest and newest, so I'm thinking of the P1600. If anybody has any info or advice on these things, I'd appreciate it. Since I already need the DVD player, and wouldn't mind the Blu Ray, I don't see a need to get an extra box (Roku). But I've got an open (and often empty) mind. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #33

harley,

I'm seriously considering the Samsung 1590 myself after a great deal of shopping. (This seems to basically be the Sam's wholesale version of the 1600.) Sam's has it for around $220 including an HDMI cable; and, these players seem to get very good reviews. But, they require a proprietary Samsung wireless network adapter (part #WIS09ABGN) which seems to run about $75 if you don't want to string CAT5 cable across your house.

All,

Can anyone talk me out of this kind of foolish waste of money before I pull the trigger?
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Can anyone talk me out of this kind of foolish waste of money before I pull the trigger?
Take a deep breath. Do a little gardening and enjoy the flowers and chirping of birds for a few hours. Then shower, change, and go out to dinner at a favorite restaurant.

That may not help but at least you won't be shopping!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My wife started watching the Netflix instant viewing stuff on her laptop. With headphones on, and that super-clear screen so close, she says she feels much more "immersed" in the movie than watching a screen across the room.

No added expenditure.

-ERD50
Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
harley,

I'm seriously considering the Samsung 1590 myself after a great deal of shopping. (This seems to basically be the Sam's wholesale version of the 1600.) Sam's has it for around $220 including an HDMI cable; and, these players seem to get very good reviews. But, they require a proprietary Samsung wireless network adapter (part #WIS09ABGN) which seems to run about $75 if you don't want to string CAT5 cable across your house.

All,

Excellent, thanks. Of course, I let my Sam's Club account expire when they built a BJs nearby. I'll have to see if they have a version. I've also got the advantage of having run cat5e to all the rooms in my house when we built it. In my case I need a DVD player anyway, but far be it from me to enable anyone else's materialistic impulses.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
My wife started watching the Netflix instant viewing stuff on her laptop. With headphones on, and that super-clear screen so close, she says she feels much more "immersed" in the movie than watching a screen across the room.

No added expenditure.

-ERD50
Is the Silverlight client working OK for you? I heard a lot of bad things about it 6 months or so ago. Have the got it cleaned up now?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #38

This is what I get for not reading the forum more often.

We do have the 1600. Works like a charm ... almost. Twice, the remote stopped working and we had to unplug it for a bit before it reset. It also doesn't seem to always remember where you stopped a DVD if you turn the unit off -- that might just be with Blu-Ray discs, though. The manual controls on the front panel are also a bit irksome, since they aren't raised buttons.

Other than those minor annoyances, it is good. I've watched a number of movies on it, and haven't had any additional issues with the sound. Shawkshank Redemption was definitely the best movie I watched on it. Oh, and I enjoyed watching Harper's Island series (13 episode TV series) on it as well. My list of instant Netflix movies is running a bit bare now. They do change up what is available, but the selection is still not great. Some of their movies are letterbox rather than widescreen.

Might sound like a negative review, but it isn't. I'm really glad we got it, and it has been worth it.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Is the Silverlight client working OK for you? I heard a lot of bad things about it 6 months or so ago. Have the got it cleaned up now?
No problems on two different computers here. Those are intel Macs, the other computers are old PPC, and they did not release a version for those - probably too slow anyway.

IIRC, it directs you to the download, and away we went. No issues at all. I need to check if they have a Linux version yet.

-ERD50