Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Netflix "Instant to your TV"
Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Administrator

Netflix "Instant to your TV"

Anybody here use netflix Roku to watch content downloaded to the tv? Am thinking abouyt trying and can't find much feedback or recent reviews.

Michael
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used the Netflix service through the Xbox 360 which works off of the same library of movies.

It's great if you love old B movies and fairly recent TV shows. Other than that the library is pretty think on new movies.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I've used the Netflix service through the Xbox 360 which works off of the same library of movies.

It's great if you love old B movies and fairly recent TV shows. Other than that the library is pretty think on new movies.
I use it on my large widescreen monitor. I prefer many older and foreign movies, and many of these are available for immediate download.

I would recommend it.

Ha
Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I bought the box and love it. They upgraded to HD (720p) through firmware and it looks great on my 50" HDTV. Before the upgrade I was iffy on it due to lack of content, but between that and the agreement with STARS for additional movies it's a definite winner.

If you like PBS specials, they are all available through the box in HD, very nice. After the $100 outlay for the Roku box an $8.99 a month subscription gets you all the instant view you can stand plus 1 DVD at a time as much as you can turn around. We went down to basic cable and we are now paying less for what feels like more good content and on demand.

One nit is sometimes the instant movies are 4:3 instead of widescreen and there is nothing you can do about it, it's just the source they pulled it from.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I bought the box and love it. They upgraded to HD (720p) through firmware and it looks great on my 50" HDTV. Before the upgrade I was iffy on it due to lack of content, but between that and the agreement with STARS for additional movies it's a definite winner.

If you like PBS specials, they are all available through the box in HD, very nice. After the $100 outlay for the Roku box an $8.99 a month subscription gets you all the instant view you can stand plus 1 DVD at a time as much as you can turn around. We went down to basic cable and we are now paying less for what feels like more good content and on demand.

One nit is sometimes the instant movies are 4:3 instead of widescreen and there is nothing you can do about it, it's just the source they pulled it from.
This sounds terrific. Thanks for the information. I might get this setup after I retire and move.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

laurence
Quote:
I bought the box and love it. They upgraded to HD (720p) through firmware and it looks great on my 50" HDTV.
How did they upgrade it to HD? I can't seem to find any info on that on roku.com.

Thanks,

tmm
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The movie selection is slowly getting better over time; at this point, I watch all my netflix movies via the Xbox 360 instead of by the mail-in dvds now.

In addition to the existing roxbox, xbox360, and Silverlight (Mac and PC) clients, Samsung and LG are releasing TVs and BD players that have built-in Netflix streaming client support.

Samsung, LG to Stream Netflix HD - TVWeek - News
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Administrator

I think I'm going to buy one. We already subscribe to netflix so the only cost is the box. Right now we have some comcast package plus HD (but no premium) but that's at least $25 per month just for the box and HD - and I'm thinking we don't watch it that much. The TV programming available now on Netflix is good enough and the movie feature allows for the occasional impulsive choice.

Thanks for the feedback

Michael
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to mention the one thing I dislike about the service -

You have to use your computer to add movies into the "watch now" queue, you can't do it from the xbox360. Once you add the movies to "watch now" from your web browser, it usually takes 1 minute before the selections are available from the xbox. Perhaps other netflix streaming clients are better in this regard.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouch View Post
I forgot to mention the one thing I dislike about the service -

You have to use your computer to add movies into the "watch now" queue, you can't do it from the xbox360. Once you add the movies to "watch now" from your web browser, it usually takes 1 minute before the selections are available from the xbox. Perhaps other netflix streaming clients are better in this regard.
Exactly the same with Roku, although their new home page states additional updates/upgrades are coming, so perhaps that will change.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

If your budget allows, you can spend a little more and hook up a computer with rf keyboard/mouse and have a more flexible setup. Dell has something they call the studio hybrid that has an hdmi connection. (<$500)
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I use it on my large widescreen monitor. I prefer many older and foreign movies, and many of these are available for immediate download.

I would recommend it.

Ha
I will have to look into the offerings a little deeper. There are a lot of older movies that I like too.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Not to go Zen on everybody, but with the instant view it's about a state of mind. If you are the type that says "I have to watch 'X' movie" it will disappoint, but if you are willing to be flexible and just want something in a general category (comedy, drama, action) you will find plenty of quality stuff in each area. It's T.V. show selection is the area it shines. I watched all the episodes of Jericho in two weeks without commercials, it was great.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

This would be more interesting to me if I could schedule downloads for overnight, and store on an HDD for viewing whenever. My internet connection is medium speed ( ~ 1Mbps sustained, 3Mbps burst), and I would not want to tie it up every time someone wants to watch something - downloads will sometimes affect our VOIP phone connection. I also don't like that it has to re-buffer for any FFW/RW. An HDD would solve that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This would be more interesting to me if I could schedule downloads for overnight, and store on an HDD for viewing whenever. My internet connection is medium speed ( ~ 1Mbps sustained, 3Mbps burst), and I would not want to tie it up every time someone wants to watch something - downloads will sometimes affect our VOIP phone connection. I also don't like that it has to re-buffer for any FFW/RW. An HDD would solve that.

-ERD50
You might be surprised by how quick it is. Sure, if you FFW 30 minutes it has to buffer for a bit, but pause and RW works perfectly, and if you have to stop watching a show/movie or switch to a different show, when you return to that program it will remember where you left off. My phone, internet and T.V. all run over the same line, I haven't had any issues at all. Incidentally, services like VOIP are given greater access priority since it needs a seamless transmission, if you are having trouble I'd be inquiring why from your service providers.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
You might be surprised by how quick it is. Sure, if you FFW 30 minutes it has to buffer for a bit, but pause and RW works perfectly, and if you have to stop watching a show/movie or switch to a different show, when you return to that program it will remember where you left off. My phone, internet and T.V. all run over the same line, I haven't had any issues at all. Incidentally, services like VOIP are given greater access priority since it needs a seamless transmission, if you are having trouble I'd be inquiring why from your service providers.
Thanks, but the performance might not be the same, depending on what service you have.

I assume you have high speed cable? Some people have DSL, and I have a 'medium speed' fixed wireless. They give the speeds they promised, but that is the 3Mpbs/1Mbps rates I mentioned. So I can't really 'complain' when they are meeting contractual obligations.

I'd still rather have it on a hard drive and view when/where I want, w/o a dependency on the network.

-ERD50
Old 01-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

ERD50, do you have a router with "Quality of Service" (QoS)? That enables you to prioritize your VOIP connection in the network traffic stream and can really help sound quality with VOIP. I don't have a QoS enabled router yet, and I occasionally have quality issues with my VOIP even on a 7mbps line. The limiting factor for me is the upload speed, and I'm at 368 I think.

This netflix service sounds good. Maybe a cheaper way to get HD programming without the massive packages my cable co requires you to get if you want even basic HD.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Anybody here use netflix Roku to watch content downloaded to the tv? Am thinking abouyt trying and can't find much feedback or recent reviews.
Use the search button - everything under the sun is here someplace.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ort-37579.html
Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
ERD50, do you have a router with "Quality of Service" (QoS)? That enables you to prioritize your VOIP connection in the network traffic stream and can really help sound quality with VOIP. I don't have a QoS enabled router yet, and I occasionally have quality issues with my VOIP even on a 7mbps line. The limiting factor for me is the upload speed, and I'm at 368 I think.
No - it's something I'm thinking about though. IIRC, CFB mentioned a couple shortly before he left the forum. (google....)

here it is...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ers-39064.html

But I do have the Telephone adapter first in line. I would think (but don't know) that the TA box being first (as they recc) would grab priority, but maybe it does not have that much smarts.

Here's a good site to check your line:

TestYourVoIP.com

they measure stuff that is important to VOIP. One is packets discarded due to 'jitter' delay between data packets, which is not so important for other internet uses. Normally, if there is a slight delay of some data, your web page or file will appear just fine, the order does not matter so much, as long as all the data gets there quickly. But for audio, they need to keep up with the flow, so they just have to throw away data that does not appear fast enough in near the order it was sent. IOW, your raw speed throughput may be great, but if overall a lot of packets are separated and delayed slightly, it can hurt the VOIP quality.

I've got 2.8 to 3.5 on their scale (4.4 is the best that a VOIP codec can do under perfect conditions).

-ERD50
Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Use the search button - everything under the sun is here someplace.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ort-37579.html
Missed this one!

Hey, so with the firmware upgrade at new years, how are you liking the HD quality? I'm excited about new channels etc. I'm running 802.11g as well and having no problems.

ERD50, you are correct, I'm running COX cable for everything, my download speeds can exceed 20Mbps but my upload is fixed at ~512kbps (I think).