Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I watch very few TV shows, most of them just seem so poorly done, I have no interest. But The Office really got me, love it!

-ERD50
I can't watch it b/c it's too close to home ... . I work for a huge megacorp and there are people I recognize in The Office.

-Dilbert

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I can't watch it b/c it's too close to home ... . I work for a huge megacorp and there are people I recognize in The Office.

-Dilbert
Scranton? Home of our V.P?
MRG

Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #243
Recycles dryer sheets

Just discovered "Last Tango in Halifax" on Netflix. Love that the British can center a series on older characters. Derek Jacobi is wonderful. I can certainly identify with the couple's adventures regarding online dating over 50. In their case, waaayyy over 50.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #244
Recycles dryer sheets

This is kinda interesting: Netflix has The Turning Point (ballet movie from 1977) on streaming but NOT on DVD's. First time I've seen that.

Great dancing in this one--much better than Black Swan if you like ballet. It's a joy to see Baryshnikov dance again. But you do have to put up with Shirley MacLaine.

I remember when the movie came out--I was working on my PhD in psychology. Unlike the women in the movie, we didn't feel like we had to choose either a career or marriage/kids. It's easier to combine both lifestyles in a corporate career than in dance, I suppose.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #245
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just watched the documentary "Mile - Mile & a Half" It's about a group of photographers and filmmakers who thru hike the John Muir Trail. Stunning cinematography. The JMT is definitely now on the bucket list.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #246

Finished the first 13 seasons of Midsomer Murders... For me, the best in plots, in acting and in the incredible photography where every scene is a different countryside or English cottage/castle location. DW and I were saddened as we watched episode #81... in which Barnaby retires (I think)... There are three more seasons which have not been made available yet on NetFlix. Anxiously awaiting the introduction of the older Barnaby's replacement, DCI Barnaby.
For a complete listing... here:
Midsomer Murders - Episode Guide

In the meantime, as one of the most enjoyable benefits of age and memory loss, is that (in the meantime), we can start all over again with episode #1, and enjoy it as brand new. We'll supplement it with George Gentley, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Foyles War, and ... for the third time around with Helen Mirren (Jane Tennison) in Prime Suspect.

Solved the British accent problem, with closed captioning, though now have become rather expert at translating...

Hooray for British TV!!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Finished the first 13 seasons of Midsomer Murders... For me, the best in plots, in acting and in the incredible photography where every scene is a different countryside or English cottage/castle location. DW and I were saddened as we watched episode #81... in which Barnaby retires (I think)... There are three more seasons which have not been made available yet on NetFlix. Anxiously awaiting the introduction of the older Barnaby's replacement, DCI Barnaby.
For a complete listing... here:
Midsomer Murders - Episode Guide

In the meantime, as one of the most enjoyable benefits of age and memory loss, is that (in the meantime), we can start all over again with episode #1, and enjoy it as brand new. We'll supplement it with George Gentley, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Foyles War, and ... for the third time around with Helen Mirren (Jane Tennison) in Prime Suspect.

Solved the British accent problem, with closed captioning, though now have become rather expert at translating...

Hooray for British TV!!!!
I love all those shows as well, but then again, I'm biased.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Netflix has them more recent Midsommer Murders available on disk.

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #249

I just watched The Returned, which is a French series with subtitles. It was really good!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #250
Recycles dryer sheets

here I am with another suggestion for all you blues lovers out there:
Muscle Shoals

A documentary about the incredible music recorded in little ol' Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

I love the blues and have been a huge fan of the Allman Brothers since I was 18.

I like this documentary for the peek behind the album covers: the original studio musicians were all white country boys. Yet they played with so many wonderful black artists, and the sound was fantastic.

Even ol' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are very articulate about the experience recording there.

And is there a better soul song than Percy Sledge's "When a man loves a woman"?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #251
Moderator Emeritus

We just watched a Doc Martin "prequel" movie. The series is available through netflix streaming, starting with season two (not one). Grrr.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We just watched a Doc Martin "prequel" movie. The series is available through netflix streaming, starting with season two (not one). Grrr.
If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can stream seasons 1-5 of Doc Martin on Amazon Instant Video. It's the only place I was able to find the first season.

They also have two of the prequel movies available for streaming for prime members. I have seen some of the recent episodes on our PBS station, and just started watching the series from the beginning on Amazon. Love the quirky characters.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

We enjoyed this French movie (subtitles) Farwell, My Queen.

From Netflix DVD rental :
Quote:
As revolution threatens Louis XVI's reign, Marie Antoinette asks a lady in waiting to act as her decoy in the event of a sudden escape. At first, the trusted servant is honored by the arrangement, until she comes to realize what it really means.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can stream seasons 1-5 of Doc Martin on Amazon Instant Video. It's the only place I was able to find the first season.

They also have two of the prequel movies available for streaming for prime members. I have seen some of the recent episodes on our PBS station, and just started watching the series from the beginning on Amazon. Love the quirky characters.
I didn't even think to check on Amazon Prime; when I saw Netflicks had several seasons, I thought the show must be exclusive to Netflicks. Yay! Thank you so much!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I enjoyed Station Agent (both on DVD and streaming). Not a movie likely to upset anyone.
+1.

Liked it.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #256

Finished Dexter, whew!

It started out great but no series should stretch to 8 seasons. After watching the last episode of 5th season, I was watching it for sake of completing what I've started. Too much of a good thing isn't ....
Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I didn't even think to check on Amazon Prime; when I saw Netflicks had several seasons, I thought the show must be exclusive to Netflicks. Yay! Thank you so much!
You're very welcome!

I subscribe to Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and Netflix, and recently discovered that there is more overlap between the three than I originally thought.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #258

Last night I watched first of six episodes of movie called "Rectify". It was very good. Has 4 1/2 stars.

"Convicted of rape and murder at age 18, Daniel Holden spends nearly 20 years on death row until DNA evidence brings the verdict into question."
Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I enjoyed Station Agent (both on DVD and streaming). Not a movie likely to upset anyone.
I watched Station Agent again tonight. I saw (twice) it when it first came out, and it hasn't lost any of its charm over the years.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #260
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched "Twenty Feet from Stardom" the other night on Netflix. Its a documentary about backup singers. It won an Academy Award last year for Best Documentary I think.