Netflix movie or show suggestion

I might be one of the few on this forum who hadn't seen it but I just finished watching Ken Burns PBS 9-part series "Civil War" on Nextflix.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I recently watched Episode 1 of The Honourable Woman, a BBC miniseries starring Maggie Gyllenhaal as Nessa Stein, a British-Israeli baroness whose arms dealer father was assassinated in front of her when she was a young girl, and who now runs the family business. It's quite a gripping thriller so far and has garnered good reviews.

Maggie Gyllenhaal just won a Golden Globe for this role.

Watched 'Exile" on Netflix streaming last night. It's a 3-part drama from the UK about the estranged son of a journalist trying to piece together his past with his father who has Alzheimers.
Very well done, and has a great ending (a pet peeve of mine is when a great story has a weak ending!)

I might be one of the few on this forum who hadn't seen it but I just finished watching Ken Burns PBS 9-part series "Civil War" on Nextflix.

I love all the Ken Burns stuff, especially the Civil war series.

Watched 'Exile" on Netflix streaming last night. It's a 3-part drama from the UK about the estranged son of a journalist trying to piece together his past with his father who has Alzheimers.
Very well done, and has a great ending (a pet peeve of mine is when a great story has a weak ending!)

John Simm and Jim Broadbent are a couple of my favorites, thanks for the tip, I've added it to my list.

Yes, Exile was very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I am not sure if this one was already mentioned but I just finished watching "The History of the Eagles: The Story of an American Rock Band" on Netflix. It is 3 hours long but is broken up into 2 parts. Part 1 is pre 1980 and part 2 is after they came back together in 1994.

I also enjoyed "Death Comes to Pemberly" on Amazon Prime streaming which is a PD James murder mystery set in that time at Pemberly. (Bletchley Circle star Anna Maxwell Martin plays Elezabeth)

It's now on Netflix. A binge watch is planned!

Just watched "Left Behind" with Nicolas Cage. The movie got terrible reviews from what I read, but the DW wanted to see it anyway. Actually, I thought it was pretty good. Watched it twice.

Just watched "Left Behind" with Nicolas Cage. The movie got terrible reviews from what I read, but the DW wanted to see it anyway. Actually, I thought it was pretty good. Watched it twice.

That is on netflix?

Speaking of Ken Burns, both The Dust Bowl and Prohibition are excellent documentaries. There was much new insight for me in both series.

If you are into cycling "30 for 30: Slaying the Badger" is an ESPN documentary about American cyclist Greg Lemond and his experiences with the Tour de France. Having watched the Tour de France many times over the years and spending a considerable time on a road bike, I enjoyed watching this.

"Frank" - an indie movie about a very enigmatic singer/musician who always wears a big fake head. It's a very strange movie with some very quirky band members and one fairly normal new band member who is trying to figure it all out. I gave it 5 stars.

I've been checking a couple movies on Netflix based on your good reviews but can't seem to find them. One in particular is "Postman", so I'll assume, the U.S. version either has more or different movies than the Canadian version of Netflix. We pay, $8.00 per month, is this the same for our neighbours south of us?

I've been checking a couple movies on Netflix based on your good reviews but can't seem to find them. One in particular is "Postman", so I'll assume, the U.S. version either has more or different movies than the Canadian version of Netflix. We pay, $8.00 per month, is this the same for our neighbours south of us?
It is $8 in the U.S.
Postman is not on the streaming list now, but may be available as DVD.
Check this link. The blog let's you know what's expiring soon.
http://whatsonnetflixnow.blogspot.com/p/expiring-soon.html

The comparison list is regularly updated here:
Netflix Canada vs USA

DVDs are not available through Netflix in Canada.

This may also be of interest:
U.S. Netflix accessed by 1/3 of anglophone Canadian users - Technology & Science - CBC News

DW and I watched Nightcrawler the other night and really liked it. Jake Gyllenhaal was excellent in the lead.

How the States Got Their Shapes

A very interesting trip through the 50 states with a bit of history on how the USA grew to what it is today

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the series The Fall was very good. I just finished it last night. My husband wouldn't watch the second season, because it's about a serial killer and the detectives trying to catch him. My husband said it was too intense, but I liked it. It has Jamie Dornan and Gillian Anderson. Also, we both liked Last Tango in Halifax.

The Raven - watch it
Winter Blood - watch it
Tinker Tailor - yawn
Tooth and Nail - don't watch it
Echelon 8 - don't even think about it
World War Z - definitely watch it
I, Frankenstein - watch it
Nebraska - watch it
Radio Free Albemuth - watch it!
Automata - watch it

I recently watched Episode 1 of The Honourable Woman, a BBC miniseries starring Maggie Gyllenhaal as Nessa Stein, a British-Israeli baroness whose arms dealer father was assassinated in front of her when she was a young girl, and who now runs the family business. It's quite a gripping thriller so far and has garnered good reviews.

I finished watching this (the 8th episode) just this week. It was pretty intense. I found I could only watch one episode at a time. You had to concentrate to pick up the subtle cues and I am still a bit confused.

I am going to try something less depressing next. I watched episode 1 of Foyle's War (90 minutes) and enjoyed it.

Flame and Citron - watch it
Darknet series - meh
The Bag Man - meh
Apartment 143 - must see
The Caller - watch it
The Taking of Deborah Logan - watch it

Filmmaker Stephen Kessler is shocked to discover in 2008 that his childhood hero is still alive and well, living a sober life in Canada and performing in modest venues. Paul Williams: Still Alive is the story of the journey that followed.
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/200256

I rated it 4 Stars.

Target2019 thanks for the suggestion. I just finished watching the documentary on Paul Williams and would give it 4 1/2 stars. I gave it an extra half of a star because I just realized I he lives about 10 minutes from me.

Back
Top Bottom