Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #321
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished watching "The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life" about 109 year old Alice Herz-Sommer, the world's oldest holocaust survivor at the time of the 2013 short documentary. She discusses her life and the impact music has had on it. She has an amazing positive attitude on life. She died in February of this year at 110 year of age.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #322
Gone but not forgotten

"Jewish Cardinal" +1
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #323
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Book Thief was very enjoyable.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #324
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fleming (2014) is a four part BBC miniseries on the life of Ian Fleming, who wrote the James Bond novels. He came from a wealthy family and was a playboy and ne'er do well until his influential mother persuaded Churchill to find him a job in the British Intelligence during WW2. He went on to have some interesting spying adventures, which he developed into a lucrative writing career. He was also an obnoxious bastard and into BDSM with his upper class lover, who was cheating on her husband, who was killed in the war, and her fiancé, who seemed a jolly old chap. Fleming and his lover (who married in 1952) were heavy smokers and Fleming died at 56 of a heart attack. This series takes us up to the end of WW2, when he was discharged from the service and began his writing career.

I gave this 4 stars, because it was a good yarn with believable acting, but I disliked the Fleming character. Anna Chancellor, whom you might remember from Four Weddings and a Funeral, plays Lt. Monday (on whom Moneypenny is based).
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #325
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Fleming (2014) is a four part BBC miniseries on the life of Ian Fleming, who wrote the James Bond novels. He came from a wealthy family and was a playboy and ne'er do well until his influential mother persuaded Churchill to find him a job in the British Intelligence during WW2. He went on to have some interesting spying adventures, which he developed into a lucrative writing career. He was also an obnoxious bastard and into BDSM with his upper class lover, who was cheating on her husband, who was killed in the war, and her fiancé, who seemed a jolly old chap. Fleming and his lover (who married in 1952) were heavy smokers and Fleming died at 56 of a heart attack. This series takes us up to the end of WW2, when he was discharged from the service and began his writing career.

I gave this 4 stars, because it was a good yarn with believable acting, but I disliked the Fleming character. Anna Chancellor, whom you might remember from Four Weddings and a Funeral, plays Lt. Monday (on whom Moneypenny is based).
watched The Jewish Cardinal last night, Meadbh, excellent!

My son and DIL recommended The Game on BBC America. When I went to the webiste, they had video episodes of their other "spy shows" on there, including Fleming. I'll check it out. Can't seem to get to The Game, however.

Just finished the last two episodes of Broadchurch--wow, it was great! But only on DVD so far.

PS. I was never a fan of Four Weddings anyway.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:15 AM   #326
Recycles dryer sheets

Watched Nebraska last night. Great movie!
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #327
Recycles dryer sheets

And, Fading Gigilo was good as well.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by serie1926 View Post
Watched Nebraska last night. Great movie!
+1 for Nebraska
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #329
Moderator Emeritus

We watched "Appropriate Adult" the other night, a true story about two British serial killers from the perspective of the volunteer inexperienced social worker assigned to the case. Very serious, Emily Watson is perfect as the appropriate adult.

The title came up when we searched for the not-available Broadchurch, a series that the US Gracepoint series is based on (meaning copies, even the lead actor is the same but with a US accent, so okay, why?). Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad is in Gracepoint--we did not watch BB so she is new to us but very good.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #330
Give me a forum ...

Netflix movie suggestion

Last week, we watched "Nebraska" with Bruce Dern. Not from Netflix, I got adventurous and went to a Redbox (exciting! I always wondered what those people were poking at at the grocery store). It's a good movie, a little sad, but worth your time.

Edit: oops, I didn't realize that was just mentioned. Add my thumbs up.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #331

Not sure if these have been mentioned, but I really loved Last tango in Halifax. We also liked Exile and Secrets and Lies. They are both mystery stories, while Halifax is drama and a bit of comedy about the romance of two retired people and the surrounding family stories.

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #332
Recycles dryer sheets

Sushi Girl, interesting ending.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #333
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Not sure if these have been mentioned, but I really loved Last tango in Halifax. We also liked Exile and Secrets and Lies. They are both mystery stories, while Halifax is drama and a bit of comedy about the romance of two retired people and the surrounding family stories.

I usually call it "Last Train to Halifax" by mistake. i like it but I wish the farmer daughter plot line would hurry up and get past dead husband already!
Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Netflix notified me that the third and final series of Wallander (the Swedish version) is now available. I know this ends with Wallander (a detective) developing dementia. I loved Series 1 and 2 and will definitely watch Series 3. Rated 5 stars on Netflix.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #335

We watch the PBS Wallender with Kenneth Branaugh, which I know isn't the original version. Maybe we should try the other. I hate to see any person or character get dementia, since my mom had it. So horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #336
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=... Can't seem to get to The Game, however.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this applies to your situation...

I found The Game available On Demand from my cable company (Time Warner). No charge but commercials were included.

Very good show BTW. Very much a John LeCarre-type story.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
We watch the PBS Wallender with Kenneth Branaugh, which I know isn't the original version. Maybe we should try the other. I hate to see any person or character get dementia, since my mom had it. So horrible.
I did watch the last series of Swedish Wallender. It was powerful stuff, subtly acted. I will not be watching the British version, as Krister Henriksson is now the definitive Wallender in my mind and I don't want to spoil it.

I have been watching more subtitled movies:

Ida (2013) is a stark Polish movie in monochrome, set in the early 1960s, about a young nun who researches her family history with her alcoholic aunt, who is wonderfully depicted by Agata Kulesza. Ida faces a lifechanging dilemma. The cinematography and atmosphere are beautiful. Excellent movie. 5 stars.

After the Wedding (2006) is an award winning Danish movie starring Mads Mikkelsen as a social worker at an Indian orphanage who takes a fundraising trip to Copenhagen to meet with a wealthy philanthropist. Once again, dark family secrets surface and our hero faces a big dilemma, one which will impact many people. It's all about the eyes in this movie. 4.5 stars.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #338

+1 for After the Wedding

"Ida" is on my list.

"Lullaby" (2014) is also a good but sad movie about a son who broke ties with his family returning to witness the death of his father.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #339
Give me a forum ...

We watched The Hundred-Foot Journey last night. Excellent.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We watched The Hundred-Foot Journey last night. Excellent.
On Netflix?