Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #361
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I just finished watching that too. Loved the novelty of the concept, and I think the length of the series was just right as, for me at least, the novelty of the idea and it's execution was just beginning to lose some of it's sheen by the time the series ended.

Quite neat seeing Elizabeth partially integrated into the modern world with a laptop and mobile phone!
I also enjoyed "Death Comes to Pemberly" on Amazon Prime streaming which is a PD James murder mystery set in that time at Pemberly. (Bletchley Circle star Anna Maxwell Martin plays Elezabeth)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I also enjoyed "Death Comes to Pemberly" on Amazon Prime streaming which is a PD James murder mystery set in that time at Pemberly. (Bletchley Circle star Anna Maxwell Martin plays Elezabeth)
Will look for that, thanks!

Hmmmm - I see it available from pbs.org, and I can stream it from there and mirror to the Apple TV. But it tells me that the first two episodes expire in two days. Odd.

I didn't see it free to prime members at Amazon Prime. What am I missing?
Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #363
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Watched episode 1 last night and enjoyed it very much.

Having a little trouble with the streaming from PBS.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #364
Dryer sheet aficionado

Any medieval / renaissance fan? If you are, I would recommend "Borgia" by Canal+, it is much better than the Showtime version "The Borgias". It is on Netflix streaming, 3 seasons, the last season just released about a month ago.

The show is in English, but it is an international production, so you get actors from various countries with various accents. At the first it is a little weird, but once you get pass this, the show and acting become engrossing. I especially like the actor that portrays Cesare Borgia.

It doesn't have as a big budget as the Showtime version, but is it much more faithful to the historical time and does a better job at digging into the inner world of the characters.
outabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #365
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outabout View Post
Any medieval / renaissance fan? If you are, I would recommend "Borgia" by Canal+, it is much better than the Showtime version "The Borgias". It is on Netflix streaming, 3 seasons, the last season just released about a month ago.

The show is in English, but it is an international production, so you get actors from various countries with various accents. At the first it is a little weird, but once you get pass this, the show and acting become engrossing. I especially like the actor that portrays Cesare Borgia.

It doesn't have as a big budget as the Showtime version, but is it much more faithful to the historical time and does a better job at digging into the inner world of the characters.
Thanks, I've added it to my watchlist.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I saw it on the BBC earlier this year and thought it was excellent, set in the Calder Valley, West Yorkshire.

Thanks for the tip, I'll watch it again on Netflix.

ETA

If you liked the lead actress, Sarah Lancashire, then you'll probably enjoy Last Tango in Halifax (also West Yorkshire) on Netflix streaming

Yes, Alan, I've already watched Last Tango in Halifax and she is partly why I started watching Happy Valley. She is terrific!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #367
Recycles dryer sheets

This won't be everyone's cup of meat but some people here will enjoy it. " Bojack Horseman" is an animated series featuring the voices of Will Arnett and Aaron Paul. The show is beyond weird but manages to be pretty hilarious. There's even a Christmas special.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #368
Moderator Emeritus

I finished watching Netflix's "Marco Polo" (first season). I thought it was well done.

Watch Marco Polo Online | Netflix
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I finished watching Netflix's "Marco Polo" (first season). I thought it was well done.

+1. Benedict Wong is fantastic as Kublai, Khan of Khans. By far the best actor on the show.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #370
Give me a forum ...

Just browsing through a list of Netflix movies that are becoming unavailable soon - What's On NETFLIX Now?: EXPIRING SOON - and noticed one of my all time favorites Watch Duck Soup Online | Netflix was on the list. So I watched it tonight and laughed so hard I thought I would let others know in case they want to catch it again before it's gone.

Edit: Disappearing from streaming, not DVD.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #371
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just browsing through a list of Netflix movies that are becoming unavailable soon - What's On NETFLIX Now?: EXPIRING SOON - and noticed one of my all time favorites Watch Duck Soup Online | Netflix was on the list. So I watched it tonight and laughed so hard I thought I would let others know in case they want to catch it again before it's gone.

Edit: Disappearing from streaming, not DVD.
Thanks for the heads up on Duck Soup. We watched that soooo many times, so many decades ago, often as we nursed hangovers on New Years Day--haven't had a hangover in forever, but will watch the Marxes clearheadedon New Years Eve this year. Will probably get a lot more out of it than just the broad comedy
Old 12-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post

......... I liked Silver Linings Playbook, but the characters made me feel very anxious for much of the movie. I had to work for a couple of years with some ladies who had the same illness. Their unpredictable behaviors really bothered me, being an introvert. Too much drama and emotion at work. However, by the end of the movie, I decided I really liked it.
I liked it, DW gave it four stars.
More characters, lighter mood than Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. Did not stray far from the romantic, comedy/drama formula. Nevertheless, it is a better than average Hollywood paycheck movie.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

I watched a documentary on Marco Polo being a possibly a fake. I.e, he never went to China, and Chinese who were good at keeping accurate records don't have any record of Marco Polo. Hmmm.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #374
Recycles dryer sheets

I recommend Black Mirror, a British show that is sort of an updated Twilight Zone. There are only 6 episodes. I've watched 5 so far and they are all VERY good, very thought provoking. I think it was just recently added to streaming.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #375
Give me a forum ...

We like this 4 part documentary about the Medicis: The Medicis, Godfathers of the Renaissance:

Quote:
This installment of PBS's educational "Empires" series focuses on the Medici, one of European history's most influential merchant families and patrons to some of the greatest artists in the Italian Renaissance -- including Leonard da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael. Movers and shakers from the 14th century onward, the Medici used any means necessary, whether it be money or merciless tactics, to leave a lasting impression on art and science.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #376
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I feel like I should start a thread called "things not to watch on Netflix", populated entirely by the dogs that my husband persists in picking out.
This week's winners included World War Z and The Colony. DO NOT WATCH!
Love anything Zombie including WWZ. Not he best of the theme for sure, but still fun.

Any good after civilization collapsed movies?
Old 01-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #377
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Zombie movies...thumbs down!
Feever, don't tell anyone else your DH paid to watch those movies! Yikes!
He does keep lobbying me for Zombieland...swears it is funny.
I'm a documentary type of person, just watched the one on Levon Helm. Sad, but pretty good.
Zombieland is the bomb.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

I recently watched Episode 1 of The Honourable Woman, a BBC miniseries starring Maggie Gyllenhaal as Nessa Stein, a British-Israeli baroness whose arms dealer father was assassinated in front of her when she was a young girl, and who now runs the family business. It's quite a gripping thriller so far and has garnered good reviews.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #379
Give me a forum ...

Watched Masterpiece Classic: A Room With a View:
Quote:
On a trip to Italy, prim aristocrat Lucy Honeychurch (Elaine Cassidy) steals a kiss from a handsome commoner (Rafe Spall) but pays a heavy emotional price when she sees him again in stuffy Edwardian England in this spirited adaptation of E.M. Forster's classic novel.
Well acted and artistically done.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just browsing through a list of Netflix movies that are becoming unavailable soon - .
Made me look, and I watched and enjoyed A River Runs Through It from 1992. Made me want to explore Montana!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote