Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Raven - watch it
Winter Blood - watch it
Tinker Tailor - yawn
Tooth and Nail - don't watch it
Echelon 8 - don't even think about it
World War Z - definitely watch it
I, Frankenstein - watch it
Nebraska - watch it
Radio Free Albemuth - watch it!
Automata - watch it
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #422
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I recently watched Episode 1 of The Honourable Woman, a BBC miniseries starring Maggie Gyllenhaal as Nessa Stein, a British-Israeli baroness whose arms dealer father was assassinated in front of her when she was a young girl, and who now runs the family business. It's quite a gripping thriller so far and has garnered good reviews.
I finished watching this (the 8th episode) just this week. It was pretty intense. I found I could only watch one episode at a time. You had to concentrate to pick up the subtle cues and I am still a bit confused.

I am going to try something less depressing next. I watched episode 1 of Foyle's War (90 minutes) and enjoyed it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #423
Give me a forum ...

Flame and Citron - watch it
Darknet series - meh
The Bag Man - meh
Apartment 143 - must see
The Caller - watch it
The Taking of Deborah Logan - watch it
Old 02-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #424
Give me a forum ...

Filmmaker Stephen Kessler is shocked to discover in 2008 that his childhood hero is still alive and well, living a sober life in Canada and performing in modest venues. Paul Williams: Still Alive is the story of the journey that followed.
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/200256

I rated it 4 Stars.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #425
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Filmmaker Stephen Kessler is shocked to discover in 2008 that his childhood hero is still alive and well, living a sober life in Canada and performing in modest venues. Paul Williams: Still Alive is the story of the journey that followed.
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/200256

I rated it 4 Stars.

Target2019 thanks for the suggestion. I just finished watching the documentary on Paul Williams and would give it 4 1/2 stars. I gave it an extra half of a star because I just realized I he lives about 10 minutes from me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #426
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Target2019 thanks for the suggestion. I just finished watching the documentary on Paul Williams and would give it 4 1/2 stars. I gave it an extra half of a star because I just realized I he lives about 10 minutes from me.
Paul Williams would probably invite you in. It is ironic that the writer of so many huge hits lives in an average house, and stills works @75.

I found that documentary on the twitter feed for @iw_popular. This is a link that goes to a similar tweet for The Verdict: https://twitter.com/iw_popular/statu...109197313?s=09

In that tweet you see the movie and actors, followed by a link to the instantwatcher.com page for the Netflix movie. There is a longer movie description and usually 1 or 2 ratings.

After you follow, most days there is a string of 20 tweets about what's on netflix. Not sure what their methodology is for these 20. But I usually get to an interesting find in a few clicks.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #427
Recycles dryer sheets

"A Good Marriage" is a surprisingly good thriller, based on a Stephen King story so you know there aregoing to be some plot twists.
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #428
Give me a forum ...

We watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night. It was good, but a bit hard to follow.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - IMDb
It would have helped if we'd read the book first, I think.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #429
Give me a forum ...

^ agreed.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #430
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
"A Good Marriage" is a surprisingly good thriller, based on a Stephen King story so you know there aregoing to be some plot twists.
Yes! thanks I liked it
Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #431
Full time employment: Posting here.

Watched 3 Days to Kill (2014) - IMDb Kevin Costner, Amber Heard.

Excitement, humor, suspense, etc. all rolled into one.

-CC
Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #432
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night. It was good, but a bit hard to follow.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - IMDb
It would have helped if we'd read the book first, I think.
The book is wonderfully written. One feels a bit in the fog reading it too. So yes, some plot familiarity helps. I'd also recommend the very atmospheric 1980 PBS Miniseries version with Alec Guinness and other great British actors on DVD:
Netflix - DVD: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #433
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Paul Williams would probably invite you in. It is ironic that the writer of so many huge hits lives in an average house, and stills works @75.

I would guess his house is around $2 million or so. It doesn't look large but location, location, location.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #434
Give me a forum ...

Valentín is a 2002 Argentine-French-Italian drama film written and directed by Alejandro Agresti. The film features Rodrigo Noya as Valentín and Carmen Maura as the grandmother. Director Alejandro Agresti also stars as Valentín's father.

The story revolves around the world of an eight-year-old boy, Valentín (Noya), who dreams of one day becoming an astronaut. While caught in the middle of his family, he attempts to better the bewildering world around him.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #435
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just watched a great time travel SciFi movie on Google Play.
Predestination
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/

Based on a Heinlein short story from the fifties. Good acting and a good movie considering it is a small budget Aussie made film. There are two twists. Figured out the first immediately but didn't see the second coming.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #436
Give me a forum ...

Okay, had to sign up for a free trial on Amazon Prime to watch, but we've started the Bosch series, based on the book series by Michael Connelly. Great fun, and perfect casting for the role of Harry Bosch. Definitely recommended if you like his books.

Though I must say that the casting for his Lincoln Lawyer movie was oh-so-perfect, what with it being Matthew McConnoughey. Whew. I'd watch him paint a fence. Hopefully in summer. In Texas.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #437
Give me a forum ...

I've kept reading on here people mentioning House of Cards. I didn't even know what it was about.

We finally enabled Netflix and started watching it. And OMG it's awesome! I don't even like political shows set in Washington DC (too close to news reality), but I love this! Had no idea Kevin Spacey was the lead.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #438
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I've kept reading on here people mentioning House of Cards. I didn't even know what it was about.

We finally enabled Netflix and started watching it. And OMG it's awesome! I don't even like political shows set in Washington DC (too close to news reality), but I love this! Had no idea Kevin Spacey was the lead.
You might say that, but I couldn't possibly comment.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #439
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

If you like it, the original BBC version is also available on Netflix. I really, really liked the original so it was with some trepidation that I watched the US version but was very pleasantly surprised to find it is also excellent.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #440
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If you like it, the original BBC version is also available on Netflix. I really, really liked the original so it was with some trepidation that I watched the US version but was very pleasantly surprised to find it is also excellent.
+1
Both excellent; the stories are parallel but the cultural context is very different.