Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #561
Recycles dryer sheets

Really liked "The Code", a 6 episode Australian miniseries currently on Netflix.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watched this on the tablet during a long airline flight:
The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014) - IMDb

French town gets an Indian restaurant and sparks start to fly. Pretty good flick. I kept thinking 'brewer' instead of 'chef', and GABF instead of Michelin stars.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #563
Recycles dryer sheets

The Culture High - a very good documentary on the debate about marijuana legalization. 93% of users liked it on Rotten Tomatoes - The Culture HighÂ*(2014) - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 08-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #564

"The Hurt Locker" just showed up on my recommended list.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #565
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I watched the first part of kung fu hustle before I fell asleep last night and I was laughing my head off. Has to be one of the funniest movies I've seen in years.
Absolutely hilarious !! Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #566

Just added: Lawrence of Arabia or Masters of the Universe?
Netflix, you conflict me too often...
Old 09-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #567
Recycles dryer sheets

The Wrecking! Crew...
The Wrecking Crew was a group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. The amount of work that they were involved in was tremendous.

They were also involved in groups that I like to call the Milli Vanillis of the day. A producer would get the guys in and lay down some instrumental tracks. If it became a hit, they would record an album and put a group together to go on the road. This happened many times with groups like the Marketts, Routers, and T-Bones. The next day they would do the same thing and call it another name. Same musicians, but different group name.

The record industry was primarily in New York, London and Detroit in the late '50s and early '60s. Then there was a surge towards the mid-60s that pushed the recording to the West Coast. So these musicians were recording around the clock for a good 8 years. The heyday for this group was in 1967 when the charts turned to the West.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #568
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfuego View Post
The Wrecking! Crew...
The Wrecking Crew was a group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. The amount of work that they were involved in was tremendous.

They were also involved in groups that I like to call the Milli Vanillis of the day. A producer would get the guys in and lay down some instrumental tracks. If it became a hit, they would record an album and put a group together to go on the road. This happened many times with groups like the Marketts, Routers, and T-Bones. The next day they would do the same thing and call it another name. Same musicians, but different group name.

The record industry was primarily in New York, London and Detroit in the late '50s and early '60s. Then there was a surge towards the mid-60s that pushed the recording to the West Coast. So these musicians were recording around the clock for a good 8 years. The heyday for this group was in 1967 when the charts turned to the West.

Watched this about a month ago. If you liked it don't miss Muscle Shoals

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #569
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched "Fed Up" last night. Its a good documentary on the increasing obesity in the US.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:36 AM   #570
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
I watched "Fed Up" last night. Its a good documentary on the increasing obesity in the US.
I'm not sure I could watch that as I live in obesity land. McAllen TX has the highest obesity numbers in the US, and it's really noticeable when you return from having been in Europe for a month!

But thanks for the reference - I still might check it out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fed_Up_(film)
NY Times Review: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/mo...ulge.html?_r=1

I know about the incredible stuff the average American eats and the proliferation of fast food restaurants and massive quantities of sugary sodas consumed, etc. We've observed it for decades.

We live completely outside of that zone. No sugary sodas. No fast food restaurants. Very little junk. And we have for decades. So we don't identify with the food issues personally, but we see so many people around us who are part of that horrible diet world.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #571
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Watched this about a month ago. If you liked it don't miss Muscle Shoals

Will do!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #572

time lapse is a good one
Old 09-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #573
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Another vote here for Broadchurch, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
We finally watched Broadchurch. Super well done! It was hard to stop watching.

I'm a big David Tennant fan anyway and he was great in this. He went a bit crazy with his native Scottish accent here - occasionally unintelligible.

First time I've watched a murder mystery series where all 8 episodes was one case. Made it more like a novel.

Series 2 is 2015, so maybe that will show up before too long.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #574
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't use Netflix, so I'm not sure if the movie is even available. But I own the DVD and just watched it the other night and laughed my behind off.

The movie is titled 'let it ride'
It's from the mid to late 80s & stars Richard Dreyfuss, David Johansen, Jennifer Tilly, and the fat guy from Wings.

If you have any interest in betting on horses, you'll love it even more.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We finally watched Broadchurch. Super well done! It was hard to stop watching.

I'm a big David Tennant fan anyway and he was great in this. He went a bit crazy with his native Scottish accent here - occasionally unintelligible.

First time I've watched a murder mystery series where all 8 episodes was one case. Made it more like a novel.

Series 2 is 2015, so maybe that will show up before too long.
I'm pleased that you liked it. Fingers crossed that series 2 shows up on Netflix soon. (it was shown in the UK early this year)
Old 09-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #576
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Watched this last night and highly recommend it. I learned a lot about obesity and the recent history of nutrition in the US of A. Learning that rats will choose sugar over heroin is enlightening.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:25 AM   #577
Full time employment: Posting here.

We watched "Danny Collins" Friday night- no idea what to expect but really enjoyed it. Al Pacino, Annette Bening, and Jennifer Garner.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #578
Recycles dryer sheets

Not Netflix but Amazon Prime video: Grantchester. I guess it was on PBS Masterpiece earlier this year? Great acting (always love Robson Green) but more importantly it deals with social issues in postwar Britain in a gentle , thoughtful way. Not at all in the soap opera style that Downton Abbey morphed into after the first season. IMHO of course. :-)

Old 10-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #579

So I finally watched Barbarella. Teen boy dream movie I guess. It was actually pretty good, if you are in the mood for late 1960s sci fi and seeing a young Jane Fonda nekkid.

We were scraping the barrel a bit after being flooded in for four days, what can I say?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #580
Give me a forum ...

A classic. I particularly liked the see through plastic bra cups.