Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you haven't seen this documentary(originally on PBS), Horatio's Drive is worth watching on Netflix.

Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've been watching House of Cards, an original program that Netflix out bid the major networks for. I've seen 3 of the 13 episodes they put out this month. A pretty interesting political drama. I give it a thumbs up.
+1

I started watching it last night. I wondered how well it would translate from the original excellent series House of Cards shown on PBS some years ago, that I watched several times. (gosh - that was over 20 years ago ).

They have done a great job, I wonder if they will do a follow-up series following Francis' career? To Play the King

Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

So happy to hear others singled out Station Agent as a favorite. Such a simple but good movie. Have seen it countless times (very few movies I can watch more than once) as I have had friends watch it whenever I could.

Also, Doc Martin was priceless. Loved the humor and characters (especially Martin Clunes.)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just got a Blu-Ray player with Netflix so we signed up for a Netflix free trial. DH went right to the British House of Cards and has now progressed to the new series. We can view Netflix on the living room TV with the Blu-ray player, on DH's laptop and on my desktop computer. My computer is next to a 32"HDTV that does not have Netflix capability but over the weekend I connected it to the computer with a DVI adapter and VGA cable just to see how it would look on the TV via the computer. Looks fine and one of my sons showed me how to set up the TV as a 2nd monitor and open Netflix on the TV from the computer. Pretty slick.

My cable isn't long enough so I've ordered a longer one so I can make this connection permanent.

So far I'm not finding all that much on Netflix. We have the streaming version. I have Breaking Bad queued up and watched the first 2 episodes. I got hooked on this show a few months ago using free DVDs from the library.

I need to figure out how to find things I haven't seen before that look worthwhile. Then again, if I find it's not worth my time, I can just move on. I'm liking the idea of unlimited usage, it changes your thinking about what to try. No trips to the library, no reserving DVDs so that I can watch a series in order. Very clever business model.

We've already tried streaming 2 different shows to 2 devices at the same time and have had no quality issues.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #45

Alright you old hippies, we just watched Dazed and Confused from Netflix, and it was great, especially for DH, as he's a bit closer to the profiled generation. Great music, not much of a plot, but certainly a walk down memory lane for those of you that were near the class of 1976 as portrayed by Richard Linklater. Best performance was that of Woodersen, by Matthew McConaughey. He was hilarious.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a late comer to The West Wing...really enjoying it.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC
Alright you old hippies, we just watched Dazed and Confused from Netflix, and it was great, especially for DH, as he's a bit closer to the profiled generation. Great music, not much of a plot, but certainly a walk down memory lane for those of you that were near the class of 1976 as portrayed by Richard Linklater. Best performance was that of Woodersen, by Matthew McConaughey. He was hilarious.
My GF and I watched it a few months ago as she had never seen it before. I don't think she liked it as much as I did. I wonder if today's freshmen in HS even know what the word "freshmen initiation" even means? I didn't get the "soul pole" slapped on my rear like they did, but I definitely still took some good ones back in the day.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #48

On Netflix streaming:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (SWEDISH version is better, IMHO) and its 2 sequels - and I didn't think the extended version was better than the theatrical (a first for me)
One, Two, Three (60s Billy Wilder comedy)
My Brilliant Career
Outsourced
Wild Target
Topsy-Turvy
Black Widow
The Magic of Belle Isle
Lost (very long strange TV series - if you haven't seen it)
There are a lot of classic movies there - you just have to hunt around
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

If you are a horse or animal lover, you might like the documentary/movie Buck. About a man who has a unique ability to work with horses. It's more than just about horses but more about wisdom, compassion and just life in general.
"The Way"
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

"The Way"

I don't see that anyone has mentioned "The Way" with Martin Sheen & Emilio Estevez. Great story, scenery & characters!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to this thread, I am now hooked on Doc Martin. Reminds me of Northern Exposure, which DW and I loved back in the day (esp. the earlier episodes when Janine Turner's hair was short - seemed like an inverse relationship between the length of Maggie's hair and the quality of the show.)

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #52

Any other recommendations for Netflix? Made a long list from this thread the other day, and other than Horatio's Drive (which I watched last night and enjoyed), not a one (that I haven't seen was available for streaming) I don't subscribe to the DVD's.

Keep this tread going like the "What have you read lately" thread. I feel like I have gone through all of the good TV shows that are available to date, and I'm nearing the end of West Wing, so need to find a new series.

From an old post on this subject, I tried Firefly, but just couldn't get into it.
Maybe because I don't like science fiction and fantasy. Only could get through two episodes.

I think I missed my calling. I believe I could make good movies. I don't know how the producers and directors of some of these shows can watch their work, and not cringe. I don't know how the writers can write the dribble they do, and think they have any talent.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a marathon of House of Cards on Sunday. I really liked that show! How similar in the BBC version? Same story line?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I did a marathon of House of Cards on Sunday. I really liked that show! How similar in the BBC version? Same story line?
Sufficiently different to be well worth watching.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Watched Hard Times tonight
Watch Hard Times Online | Netflix
Fairly funny, but the Irish requires the volume pretty high...
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Everybody's Fine was a good one imo. Of course I have always enjoyed Robert De Niro. Another movie I saw recently was Half Light starring Demi Moore. Pretty scenery but a little on the creepy side. I can over look that with Demi though.

Here are the trailers on each movie.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I was up until 3 in the morning, kept doing "just one more episode" of the U.S. House of Cards. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright were really good!

I'll give myself a few days off to catch up on sleep and then I'll start the British version.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I was up until 3 in the morning, kept doing "just one more episode" of the U.S. House of Cards. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright were really good!

I'll give myself a few days off to catch up on sleep and then I'll start the British version.
I finished watching it yesterday, and can confirm that the British version is quite a bit different and well worth watching.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I finished watching it yesterday, and can confirm that the British version is quite a bit different and well worth watching.
I am planning to start on the British version after finishing Lark Rise to Candleford (very enjoyable) on the BBC iPlayer.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #60

Just watched the documentary Big River Man. Its about the Slovenian man who has swum most of the worlds major rivers and follows his expedition as he swims the Amazon. To say this guy is a character is a vast understatement. If you're into epic voyages or nutty people, its quite recommended. I'll probably watch it again... ha