Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2015, 04:34 AM   #581
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
So I finally watched Barbarella. Teen boy dream movie I guess. It was actually pretty good, if you are in the mood for late 1960s sci fi and seeing a young Jane Fonda nekkid.

We were scraping the barrel a bit after being flooded in for four days, what can I say?
Hopefully the water pulls back soon and you're able to restock.

I just started watching Luther, another BBC series. Edgy, very enjoyable so far.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #582
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2001: A Space Odyssey just showed up on stream. Was on DVD only.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
2001: A Space Odyssey just showed up on stream. Was on DVD only.
Wow, I was a senior in high school when that came out. I remember seeing it at a drive-in theater.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, I was a senior in high school when that came out. I remember seeing it at a drive-in theater.
And you actually watched it?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #585
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Totally, totally, totally enjoyed the Ian Fleming series. What a story!

Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond (2014)
http://www.netflix.com/title/70307109
Old 10-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
And you actually watched it?
Oh, yeah. I was/am a science fiction fan. I don't remember if anyone was with me.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #587
Give me a forum ...

I finally rented Mad Max, Fury Road. This is a movie better watched at a real theater, but I did learn some tips for dealing with aggressive drivers.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #588
Give me a forum ...

I recall on of my kids who watched referred to it as the worst movie ever. Given the original.... it sounded about right to me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #589
Give me a forum ...

The Borgias on Netflix

I couldn't get into it at first. But recently I have been working on photos I took of Renaissance castles in France and they inspired me to start watching again, particularly as the visual presentation of the series is fantastic - outstanding sets and costumes. Everybody looks like they stepped out of an Italian historical painting and the locations look like many buildings I have visited.

Starting out season one the dialog seemed a bit silly and pretentious. But after a few episodes, the series really took off. I came to appreciate some of the actors a lot more.

Season Two - and wow, they really kicked it up a notch - actors and plots. The episodes are imaginative and riveting! Really great stuff.

They play fast and loose with plenty of the historical details in the interest of a good plot line - yet on the other hand, they really present a lot of important historical things of the times. The broader historical events are more or less correct.

This is a fascinating time period - the beginning of the Italian Wars (1494-1498) - started by an invasion by French King Charles VIII, really changed the history of the rest of Europe in significant ways. The French took back with them the Italian Renaissance art and artisans - what I saw in our visits to the French Chateaux. It was also the time of the discovery of the new world, and upon returning from their defeat of the Kingdom of Naples, the French brought back and spread an extremely virulent form of syphilis to the rest of Europe. The French called it the Neapolitan Disease, the rest of Europe called it the French Pox. Savoranola is preaching Fire and Brimstone in Florence, especially against the corrupt church, but Martin Luther has not yet posted his 95 Theses on the church door in Wittenburg (1517). So Europe is just on the cusp of the reformation that will provoke major political changes and wars over the next several centuries.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #590
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The Borgias on Netflix

I couldn't get into it at first. But recently I have been working on photos I took of Renaissance castles in France and they inspired me to start watching again, particularly as the visual presentation of the series is fantastic - outstanding sets and costumes. Everybody looks like they stepped out of an Italian historical painting and the locations look like many buildings I have visited.

Starting out season one the dialog seemed a bit silly and pretentious. But after a few episodes, the series really took off. I came to appreciate some of the actors a lot more.

Season Two - and wow, they really kicked it up a notch - actors and plots. The episodes are imaginative and riveting! Really great stuff.

They play fast and loose with plenty of the historical details in the interest of a good plot line - yet on the other hand, they really present a lot of important historical things of the times. The broader historical events are more or less correct.

This is a fascinating time period - the beginning of the Italian Wars (1494-1498) - started by an invasion by French King Charles VIII, really changed the history of the rest of Europe in significant ways. The French took back with them the Italian Renaissance art and artisans - what I saw in our visits to the French Chateaux. It was also the time of the discovery of the new world, and upon returning from their defeat of the Kingdom of Naples, the French brought back and spread an extremely virulent form of syphilis to the rest of Europe. The French called it the Neapolitan Disease, the rest of Europe called it the French Pox. Savoranola is preaching Fire and Brimstone in Florence, especially against the corrupt church, but Martin Luther has not yet posted his 95 Theses on the church door in Wittenburg (1517). So Europe is just on the cusp of the reformation that will provoke major political changes and wars over the next several centuries.
That's good to know. I may revisit it now. I enjoy period films more than any others as a rule, but I just couldn't get into this one. May have to just struggle through a few episodes.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #591

Time Lapse
Pretty fun little time travel movie.

Primer
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE time travel "movie". ( the worst thing I have ever tried to watch on Netflix)...boring, poorly made, acted, written, directed...just awful. AVOID IT!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:18 AM   #592
Give me a forum ...

Watching the UK version of The Office. Two seasons are available.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #593
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't know if it has been mentioned in one of the 591 posts to this thread, but "Chef" is an undiscovered jewel.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #594

"Mad Max: Fury Road" was fantastic. It's way better than it needs to be for what it is.

My recommendation is "Ex Machina." It's on Netflix (in Canada at least - I presume the US too). It's a bit of a slow burn, but it's the best AI movie I've ever seen. If you're at all interested in technology, and the implications of AI on the future, it's definitely worth a watch. Very entertaining.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #595

I subscribe to this thread as I'm more into watching movies than tv series but have to say that many suggestions so far, I'm unable to get though Netflix Canada. Pricing has gone up this month for new subscribers, (Oct/2016 for existing) but we still pay the same as US. Netflix yet we have much less content.

This simply isn't fair and I'm jealous. I'm gonna go cry for a minute.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #596
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
I subscribe to this thread as I'm more into watching movies than tv series but have to say that many suggestions so far, I'm unable to get though Netflix Canada. Pricing has gone up this month for new subscribers, (Oct/2016 for existing) but we still pay the same as US. Netflix yet we have much less content.

This simply isn't fair and I'm jealous. I'm gonna go cry for a minute.
Try this:

https://www2.unotelly.com/home
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #597
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCyclist View Post
I don't know if it has been mentioned in one of the 591 posts to this thread, but "Chef" is an undiscovered jewel.
+1

Great show.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Time Lapse
Pretty fun little time travel movie.

Primer
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE time travel "movie". ( the worst thing I have ever tried to watch on Netflix)...boring, poorly made, acted, written, directed...just awful. AVOID IT!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
For a good time travel movie try "Predestination" with Ethan Hawke. Trippy premise and some decent acting.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #599

Just saw Big Eyes on Netflix DVD, really well done and based on real life events.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:16 PM   #600
Give me a forum ...

Watched "The Others" with Nicole Kidman. Great for Halloween and not too scary.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote