Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #701
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched Get Santa
last night and thought it was pretty funny.
British movie where Santa ends up in jail and Christmas almost doesn't happen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
But not on Netflix! DVD or streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
It is on Netflix streaming here in Texas. Maybe a bit risqué for California?

Old 12-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #703
Moderator Emeritus

I think the Detectorists was just added to Netflix this month. I watched the first episode last night--nice lowkey humor and interesting characters all around.

I appreciate all the recommendations on this thread--not sure if I would have known about this show and many others had they not been mentioned here.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #704
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Episode 5 of Detectorists on Netflix streaming in California. :-)
Check the new releases list, Yakers--hope you can find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #705
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Found it, DW & I are enjoying it, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #706

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I've been binge watching Nikita, Reckless and Transporter and enjoying those.

DW and I watched 12 Mile Road (2003 with Tom Selleck) the other night and enjoyed that.
We just started Nikita a few days ago. Definitely binge worthy.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think the Detectorists was just added to Netflix this month. I watched the first episode last night--nice lowkey humor and interesting characters all around.

I appreciate all the recommendations on this thread--not sure if I would have known about this show and many others had they not been mentioned here.
Detectorists is most definitely interesting and humorous. I will probably get through the first season in the next few days.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #708
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). It also stars Keira Knightley and Allen Leech. The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. I like historical movies, particularly when their subject is science, so I found this quite interesting. I could empathize with frustrated scientists whose research funding depended on government agencies!

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. In 2015, the Queen awarded him a posthumous pardon. Erica Knightley's character, despite earning a first at Cambridge, had to work away from the men, and was under the thumb of her parents. Western society has come a long way.

I gather that the film includes many historical inaccuracies and anachronisms, which are listed in IMDB.

This film, and the series The Bletchley Circle, have piqued my interest in visiting Bletchley Park if I am in the UK. All this was kept top secret for 50 years.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #709
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We hear really good things about it! Funny article comparing River with Unforgotten: Who's the best new TV cop: River's Nicola Walker or Unforgotten's Nicola Walker? | Television & radio | The Guardian
She is quite the actress. I was very taken with her performance in Last Tango in Halifax though her character was quite the screw up and necrotic at best, but still likable. I have just started River.

I wonder if she will make it across the pond in some American films. Either way, hope we continue to see more of her..

On another note, I watched the documentary
"Best of Enemies" last night about the debates between Gore Vidal and William Buckley which took place in Chicago in 1968 at the Democratic Convention. Seems they didn't like each other very much. Found it very interesting.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
She is quite the actress. I was very taken with her performance in Last Tango in Halifax though her character was quite the screw up and necrotic at best, but still likable. I have just started River.

I wonder if she will make it across the pond in some American films. Either way, hope we continue to see more of her..

On another note, I watched the documentary
"Best of Enemies" last night about the debates between Gore Vidal and William Buckley which took place in Chicago in 1968 at the Democratic Convention. Seems they didn't like each other very much. Found it very interesting.
I first got to like Nicola Walker in the TV series MI-5 whose first series was in 2002. I think all of the series were shown on PBS, but I don't see them available either on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #711

For those in Canada a UK detective series I watched while there this year is Scott and Bailey. Suranne Jones won an award in the UK for her performance. It doesn't appear to be available on Netflix in the USA yet. I just checked and the first 3 series are available on Netflix streaming in Canada still.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #712
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). It also stars Keira Knightley and Allen Leech. The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. I like historical movies, particularly when their subject is science, so I found this quite interesting. I could empathize with frustrated scientists whose research funding depended on government agencies!

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. In 2015, the Queen awarded him a posthumous pardon. Erica Knightley's character, despite earning a first at Cambridge, had to work away from the men, and was under the thumb of her parents. Western society has come a long way.

I gather that the film includes many historical inaccuracies and anachronisms, which are listed in IMDB.
FYI, here's a great site for comparing fact and fiction in movies that are based on true stories:

The Imitation Game True Story - The Real Alan Turing, Joan Clarke

And I love how they show images of the real-life persons compared to the actors.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #713
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
FYI, here's a great site for comparing fact and fiction in movies that are based on true stories:

And I love how they show images of the real-life persons compared to the actors.
Thank you! Very interesting site.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #714
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). ... The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. ...

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post

Thanks, that movie sounds interesting. I only learned a few years ago about that story of Turing's prosecution for homosexuality and it leading to his suicide. What a sad story and what a terrible way to treat a man who played such an instrumental role in saving Great Britain.

Related to this, I'm not much of a book reader, but I commented on this book a few years ago, related to this topic that I thought was excellent, and the author responded to a question I had and discussed here.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Code-Book-...TVNGBYVKVZNTX9

Also, a general question for Netflix users: I saw this title was DVD only at this time. Is there any way to get an alert when/if a title goes to streaming? DW has a constant queue of DVDs (series that aren't streamed), I'd just as well do my occasional watching on a stream, so as not to use up one of her slots.

-ERD50
Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #715
Give me a forum ...

Here are some sites that might be helpful, ERD50.

What's New On Netflix - What's on Netflix

Netflix Canada vs USA
Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #716
Recycles dryer sheets

We just finished River. Though slow paced we both enjoyed it a great deal. For those who like the Marvel universe, Jessica Jones has been interesting as well. Daredevil was very good. And for the non-netflix, this year's Fargo was great. It is on the top of my list for the year.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #717
Give me a forum ...

I never have anything to recommend here. I think I need to start a "Netflix Movies to Not Watch Unless You Have Really Bad Taste" thread.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #718
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you want some real finance comedy on Netflix watch "The Forecaster", as we did last night. What's funny is that the filmmakers meant it to be a serious documentary about a guy who predicts the markets with 99% accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #719

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I never have anything to recommend here. I think I need to start a "Netflix Movies to Not Watch Unless You Have Really Bad Taste" thread.

If there's a club, then you and DH are the charter members! Damn, but can he pick some awful ones!

We just watched the 48 Hours special on concussions and football, which I understand was the basis for the movie that just came out. It was excellent! The roommate picked it out, so I'm not sure if it was Netflix or on PBS.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Do it. Every thread needs balance.