Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #701
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 376
I watched Get Santa
last night and thought it was pretty funny.
British movie where Santa ends up in jail and Christmas almost doesn't happen.
__________________

__________________
JoeDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #702
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 20,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
But not on Netflix! DVD or streaming.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
It is on Netflix streaming here in Texas. Maybe a bit risqué for California?
__________________

__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #703
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,193
I think the Detectorists was just added to Netflix this month. I watched the first episode last night--nice lowkey humor and interesting characters all around.

I appreciate all the recommendations on this thread--not sure if I would have known about this show and many others had they not been mentioned here.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #704
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 267
Just finished Episode 5 of Detectorists on Netflix streaming in California. :-)
Check the new releases list, Yakers--hope you can find it!


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #705
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 2,690
Found it, DW & I are enjoying it, thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
T.S. Eliot:
Old men ought to be explorers
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #706
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I've been binge watching Nikita, Reckless and Transporter and enjoying those.

DW and I watched 12 Mile Road (2003 with Tom Selleck) the other night and enjoyed that.
We just started Nikita a few days ago. Definitely binge worthy.
__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #707
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think the Detectorists was just added to Netflix this month. I watched the first episode last night--nice lowkey humor and interesting characters all around.

I appreciate all the recommendations on this thread--not sure if I would have known about this show and many others had they not been mentioned here.
Detectorists is most definitely interesting and humorous. I will probably get through the first season in the next few days.
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #708
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,525
After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). It also stars Keira Knightley and Allen Leech. The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. I like historical movies, particularly when their subject is science, so I found this quite interesting. I could empathize with frustrated scientists whose research funding depended on government agencies!

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. In 2015, the Queen awarded him a posthumous pardon. Erica Knightley's character, despite earning a first at Cambridge, had to work away from the men, and was under the thumb of her parents. Western society has come a long way.

I gather that the film includes many historical inaccuracies and anachronisms, which are listed in IMDB.

This film, and the series The Bletchley Circle, have piqued my interest in visiting Bletchley Park if I am in the UK. All this was kept top secret for 50 years.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #709
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We hear really good things about it! Funny article comparing River with Unforgotten: Who's the best new TV cop: River's Nicola Walker or Unforgotten's Nicola Walker? | Television & radio | The Guardian
She is quite the actress. I was very taken with her performance in Last Tango in Halifax though her character was quite the screw up and necrotic at best, but still likable. I have just started River.

I wonder if she will make it across the pond in some American films. Either way, hope we continue to see more of her..

On another note, I watched the documentary
"Best of Enemies" last night about the debates between Gore Vidal and William Buckley which took place in Chicago in 1968 at the Democratic Convention. Seems they didn't like each other very much. Found it very interesting.
__________________
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #710
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 20,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
She is quite the actress. I was very taken with her performance in Last Tango in Halifax though her character was quite the screw up and necrotic at best, but still likable. I have just started River.

I wonder if she will make it across the pond in some American films. Either way, hope we continue to see more of her..

On another note, I watched the documentary
"Best of Enemies" last night about the debates between Gore Vidal and William Buckley which took place in Chicago in 1968 at the Democratic Convention. Seems they didn't like each other very much. Found it very interesting.
I first got to like Nicola Walker in the TV series MI-5 whose first series was in 2002. I think all of the series were shown on PBS, but I don't see them available either on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #711
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 20,373
For those in Canada a UK detective series I watched while there this year is Scott and Bailey. Suranne Jones won an award in the UK for her performance. It doesn't appear to be available on Netflix in the USA yet. I just checked and the first 3 series are available on Netflix streaming in Canada still.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #712
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). It also stars Keira Knightley and Allen Leech. The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. I like historical movies, particularly when their subject is science, so I found this quite interesting. I could empathize with frustrated scientists whose research funding depended on government agencies!

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. In 2015, the Queen awarded him a posthumous pardon. Erica Knightley's character, despite earning a first at Cambridge, had to work away from the men, and was under the thumb of her parents. Western society has come a long way.

I gather that the film includes many historical inaccuracies and anachronisms, which are listed in IMDB.
FYI, here's a great site for comparing fact and fiction in movies that are based on true stories:

The Imitation Game True Story - The Real Alan Turing, Joan Clarke

And I love how they show images of the real-life persons compared to the actors.
__________________
JoeDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #713
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
FYI, here's a great site for comparing fact and fiction in movies that are based on true stories:

The Imitation Game True Story - The Real Alan Turing, Joan Clarke

And I love how they show images of the real-life persons compared to the actors.
Thank you! Very interesting site.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #714
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 17,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). ... The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. ...

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
FYI, here's a great site for comparing fact and fiction in movies that are based on true stories:

The Imitation Game True Story - The Real Alan Turing, Joan Clarke

And I love how they show images of the real-life persons compared to the actors.
Thanks, that movie sounds interesting. I only learned a few years ago about that story of Turing's prosecution for homosexuality and it leading to his suicide. What a sad story and what a terrible way to treat a man who played such an instrumental role in saving Great Britain.

Related to this, I'm not much of a book reader, but I commented on this book a few years ago, related to this topic that I thought was excellent, and the author responded to a question I had and discussed here.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Code-Book-...TVNGBYVKVZNTX9

Also, a general question for Netflix users: I saw this title was DVD only at this time. Is there any way to get an alert when/if a title goes to streaming? DW has a constant queue of DVDs (series that aren't streamed), I'd just as well do my occasional watching on a stream, so as not to use up one of her slots.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #715
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,525
Here are some sites that might be helpful, ERD50.

What's New On Netflix - What's on Netflix

Netflix Canada vs USA
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #716
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boise
Posts: 180
We just finished River. Though slow paced we both enjoyed it a great deal. For those who like the Marvel universe, Jessica Jones has been interesting as well. Daredevil was very good. And for the non-netflix, this year's Fargo was great. It is on the top of my list for the year.
__________________
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #717
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,204
I never have anything to recommend here. I think I need to start a "Netflix Movies to Not Watch Unless You Have Really Bad Taste" thread.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #718
Full time employment: Posting here.
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 529
If you want some real finance comedy on Netflix watch "The Forecaster", as we did last night. What's funny is that the filmmakers meant it to be a serious documentary about a guy who predicts the markets with 99% accuracy.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #719
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I never have anything to recommend here. I think I need to start a "Netflix Movies to Not Watch Unless You Have Really Bad Taste" thread.

If there's a club, then you and DH are the charter members! Damn, but can he pick some awful ones!

We just watched the 48 Hours special on concussions and football, which I understand was the basis for the movie that just came out. It was excellent! The roommate picked it out, so I'm not sure if it was Netflix or on PBS.
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #720
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I never have anything to recommend here. I think I need to start a "Netflix Movies to Not Watch Unless You Have Really Bad Taste" thread.

Do it. Every thread needs balance.
__________________

__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gender (I'll show you mine, and you show me yours) Martha Forum Admin 34 06-27-2008 09:05 PM
I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours haha FIRE and Money 87 11-20-2004 01:53 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.