Netflix movie or show suggestion

Last night I watched the clumsily-titled "I Don't Feel at Home in This World Any More". Good movie. Quirky for the most part before veering into a dark, sinister tone when the focus shifted to the bad guys.

I watched Sing Street and The Wailing last night. Both were good.

Sing Street is just a typical teen movie. School, parent, opposite sex angst but it's cute and takes place in the 80's and has 80's music and culture. Set in Ireland.

The Wailing is a Korean horror movie. It's somewhat scary. I had read not to read anything about it and watch it with another person to discuss it afterward. I didn't read anything and watched it alone. It wasn't until this morning that I figured out the ending so another person might have helped to decipher the ending quicker. It's subtitled.

No Tomorrow - awkward, gorgeous Evie meets Connery-like astronomer Xavier who is rushing through his "always wanted to do list" because he's calculated an asteroid will soon slam into Earth. "The point is, we have to stop doing all the things that we feel obligated to do and start doing things that we want to do. That's why I made this. It's my apocalyst." We thought the pilot hilarious. Good show for couples. Thirteen episodes.

Some we have liked:

Versailles - palace intrigue during the early years of Louis IV (the Sun King)

Ones we are watching now and enjoying:

Father Brown - solves mysteries in an English village that seems to have murders regularly. Light and amusing.

North & South - a young woman and her family move to an English mill town. Cotton mills, worker conditions, realities of commerce, etc.

Ones I'm watch when DW is reading too much:

Better Call Saul (season 2) - starts getting a bit darker

Fleming - Ian Fleming's WW2 adventures prior to writing the James Bond stuff.

Binge watch Shetland on Netflix ...
thoroughly enjoyed i think six or 8 episodes... great detective stuff.

Just rediscovered one of the best documentaries on Netflix.

Inside Job

Here's the IMDB link:
Inside Job (2010) - IMDb

I occurred to me that many of the younger ER members may not have had exposure to the details of the 2007-2009 stock market disaster, as they may have been more in the "living mode", than the planning/saving mode.

This movie does a fantastic job of putting the pieces together. The corporations, the banks, the financial entities, insurance companies, government sponsored organizations (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac), government leaders in the financial sector, and even four US presidents... as well as government leaders and financial entities from all over the globe. A jigsaw puzzle that is hard to put together.

It's a no holds barred movie that we should all watch... not just once, but again and again... as a reminder of what happened, and as a warning (throughout the movie) that there is nothing in place to keep it from happening again.

This was not our finest moment. Looking at the story in retrospect, should give some perspective to see the market... not just as a whole, but as the sum of many parts that to date, have not been fixed.

My opinion only... :blush:

I was dragged in to see "The Zookeeper's Wife" during a family visit. Prepared myself to be bored senseless, but I actually found it to be be riveting. I didn't actually enjoy it, but I was glad I saw it. (What:confused:?) The lead actress is a clone of Geena Davis and Eddie Redmayne. Good cinematography. Well paced.

I just finished Anne with an E. I really enjoyed it and gather that it doesn't entirely follow the books Anne of Green Gables. The actress who plays Anne is delightful. I don't think it's geared to young children though as the books are.

Just watched "The Exam" and really enjoyed it. Quite a different story line and never guessed where it was going. It's an excellent psycological thriller about the final eight candidates for a highly desirable corporate job are locked together in an exam room and given a test with one question. It seems simple yet confusing that soon, tensions begin to unravel. (link to trailer )

We watched the first episode of season 3 of Bloodline tonight. I found this show to be riveting the first season, hated the characters in the second season (DH watched most of it on his own) and now, just meh. It should have ended after the first season imo. Acting is fine but story line is too convoluted.

Watched Woman in Gold last night. No doubt one of the best flicks we've seen this year.

Six decades after World War II, Jewish octogenarian Maria Altmann begins a quest to reclaim the artwork confiscated from her family by the Nazis -- including a famed Gustav Klimt masterpiece.

I just watched a 5 or 6 episode documentary on WWII.
It was well done, with lots of actual battle footage, showed some graphic stuff as that is what war is like.
The really neat nugget of info was how the Russian's used Pavlov's theory for warfare.

Watched on Amazon Prime, movie called "Visions of Terror" starring Barbara Eden. Was made in 1994, so well past the "I Dream of Jeanie" days. I haven't watched anything of her since Jeanie, but found the movie quite good. Her role was that of a psychologist who also had psychic visions. Movie was a who done it type that was kept my attention throughout. If you like shows like "Diagnosis Murder" or "Barnaby Jones", this fell in the same mold.

Doing some math, is I did this right, Barbara Eden was probably about 63 years old in 1994. She aged very gracefully and looked like a very beautiful 63 year old. I kept going back and forth seeing her in her part of the movie, then at time catch myself saying "That's Jeanie".

Last edited:
We watched the first episode of season 3 of Bloodline tonight. I found this show to be riveting the first season, hated the characters in the second season (DH watched most of it on his own) and now, just meh. It should have ended after the first season imo. Acting is fine but story line is too convoluted.

I also loved the first season, didn't like the second and quit midway. I probably won't watch the third. So disappointing.

I also loved the first season, didn't like the second and quit midway. I probably won't watch the third. So disappointing.

Well this is good to know. I only got a couple of episodes into the 2nd and couldn't handle all the psychological angst, so I won't waste any more time on it.

I wonder about these series shows. Is it possible to produce quality that goes on and on?

I guess we are seeing series repeat the old TV model where the viewing audience turning away determines when it dies. At least they probably have much better ongoing data to make cut off decisions. Oh well, I still have one vote.

I've been picking away at a few episodes of Black Mirror here and there. What a delightfully twisted show. They're like Twilight Zone episodes, but darker, and with more production value. Each episode is a completely independent story, so there's no need to watch them in any order. They're all set in the near future, and focus on how one particular aspect of future life affects us. Really well-written, I highly recommend it.

Watched 2 episodes of House of Cards latest season. Trying to get into it. Seems too much like real life...

Watched 2 episodes of House of Cards latest season. Trying to get into it. Seems too much like real life...

Watch the original British version of House of Cards. It's better. And it's only 12 episodes, IIRC.

Spoiler alert: depending upon how well the American version copies the British version the ultimate fate of President Underwood may be revealed.

Watch the original British version of House of Cards. It's better. And it's only 12 episodes, IIRC.

Spoiler alert: depending upon how well the American version copies the British version the ultimate fate of President Underwood may be revealed.
+1

We watched the first episode last night. Not so amusing when it mimics real politics as practiced at present.

I suspect that episode was filmed well before the November election.

Back
Top Bottom