Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We enjoyed this series: The Assets (DVD and streaming)
Quote:
CIA counterintelligence expert Sandy Grimes is assigned a vital mission: identify the Soviet mole thought to be operating within the agency itself. In this fact-based thriller, Grimes and her assistant race against time to hunt down the lethal agent.
The main actress played in Broadchurch.

You might want to watch the show before seeing this link but for me it was more interesting to read while seeing the show. You can see some of the real life info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldrich_Ames

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #742
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just saw MAX... Pretty good, worth a watch, but I'm glad I rented it VIA NetFlix and didn't buy it.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #743
Recycles dryer sheets

History of the Eagles was good. Three hours long. I didn't realize how much Joe Walsh was the Spicoli of rock 'n' roll!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #744
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfuego View Post
I didn't realize how much Joe Walsh was the Spicoli of rock 'n' roll!
Since Fast Times came out after the Eagles broke up Joe was already a pop stoner archetype. Maybe Sean Penn used him as his model (kinda like Johnny Depp used Keith Richards).
Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #745

The series "OCCUPIED" s very good on streaming.

Near future where the USA is self sufficient on oil and has pulled out of NATO and the Middle East. Wars in the Middle East mean no oil production and a new Green Party has been voted into power in Norway where they have stopped all their oil production following development of a new power generation source with extremely low emissions. Russia and the EU want Norway to re-start oil production....

Good political thriller .....
Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #746
Recycles dryer sheets

Started watching Occupied, only halfway through the season. Very different from most political thrillers. But only if you enjoy subtitles....guess it'll keep me from being lazy.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Started watching Occupied, only halfway through the season. Very different from most political thrillers. But only if you enjoy subtitles....guess it'll keep me from being lazy.
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned the subtitles. I watch a lot of foreign drama.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #748

"Best of Enemies" recounts the 1968 televised debates between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal. It avoids preaching while adroitly suggesting via extensive period footage the origin of the current tenor of political discourse on TV.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #749

+1 on Best of Enemies.

Also, a good downhome rainy day armchair adventure: Unbranded.
Four young horsemen ride and herd mustangs they selected and trained from Mexico to Canada.
Plenty of beautiful countryside, trials and triumphs, and young egos.
Commentary also on western land management and the dilemma of what to do about 50,000 wild horses.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:50 AM   #750
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished 100 and started x files from season 1. Interesting
We were HBO showtime junkies dexter, nurse Jackie, californacation, entourage, I can go on and on. Sunday night 8 pm something always was on, If I had to pick one of the best shows "breaking bad", that really was a neat series !! And it is on Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #751
Recycles dryer sheets

Started watching The Practice from episode 1 on Hulu. Enjoying it and laughing at the things they say and do that would be too "politically correct" to do today.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #752
Give me a forum ...

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) starring the incomparable Maggie Smith. She won the Oscar for Best Actress for this role. I saw this movie many years ago. It was better and more complex than I remembered. It takes place is Edinburgh, Scotland, in the 1930s. Miss Jean Brodie is a teacher in a private girls' school. At first she seems enlightened, introducing her pupils to art and literature beyond the curriculum. As the movie progresses, we learn that she is a dangerously misguided idealist who is leading her pupils into danger.

Maggie Smith, of course, is hardly an advertisement for ER. She is still turning out some of her best work at age 81.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) starring the incomparable Maggie Smith. She won the Oscar for Best Actress for this role. I saw this movie many years ago. It was better and more complex than I remembered. It takes place is Edinburgh, Scotland, in the 1930s. Miss Jean Brodie is a teacher in a private girls' school. At first she seems enlightened, introducing her pupils to art and literature beyond the curriculum. As the movie progresses, we learn that she is a dangerously misguided idealist who is leading her pupils into danger.

Maggie Smith, of course, is hardly an advertisement for ER. She is still turning out some of her best work at age 81.
Agree on the movie "Prime of Miss Jane Brodie". It was a favorite of mine way back then. I saw it on Amazon, and was tempted to watch it again, but got distracted.

Maggie Smith is a fabulous actress. She is priceless in Downton Abby. Love her facial expressions and delivery. All the funny lines are delivered by her.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

One of my all time favorites, I've looked for it a few times, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. (I did have to make a VPN connection to Canada to get it)
Old 02-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #755
Give me a forum ...

Started watching The Physician. Very interesting portrayal of Middle Ages England and some fascinating medical history. Pretty good so far. Our physician wannabe is about to cross the channel.....
Old 02-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Started watching The Physician. Very interesting portrayal of Middle Ages England and some fascinating medical history. Pretty good so far. Our physician wannabe is about to cross the channel.....
Thanks, I've added it to my watch list.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #757
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Ref: Making of a Murderer. Keep watching, it is riveting! We finished it pretty quickly and I've been reading a lot about the buzz it has generated nationwide. Amazing story, and very well researched and presented.
After reading the article below I have no desire to watch the series.

How “Making a Murderer” Went Wrong - The New Yorker
Old 02-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #758

I'm really liking The Fall, an excellent Irish/British crime drama series on Netflix. Gillian Anderson (best known from The X-Files) stars and gives a first-rate performance, IMHO. The only downside to the show is that the seasons are short (5 or 6 episodes). Season 3 is supposed to air sometime this year.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #759

"Based on the remarkable bestselling autobiography, THE RAILWAY MAN tells the extraordinary and epic true story of Eric Lomax (Colin Firth), a British Army officer who is tormented as a prisoner of war at a Japanese labor camp during World War II."

The Railway Man*(2014) - Rotten Tomatoes

I find my ratings of movies on Netflix are definitely swayed by the low cost. I gave it 5 stars, but probably more like 4 stars for most viewers.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I'm really liking The Fall, an excellent Irish/British crime drama series on Netflix. Gillian Anderson (best known from The X-Files) stars and gives a first-rate performance, IMHO. The only downside to the show is that the seasons are short (5 or 6 episodes). Season 3 is supposed to air sometime this year.

I loved that show, but now make sure I lock my doors whenever I come in and set our alarm when we leave! Yikes, that was scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum