Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #761
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,090
I don't think this movie has been mentioned here yet.

We watched "The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies" and it was excellent. It is a British movie (based on a true story) about a retired schoolteacher who becomes a murder suspect and gets hounded by the media due to his odd mannerisms.

Highly recommended.
__________________

__________________
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #762
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,417
I have a recommendation! But it is only for those who can appreciate a fantastically ridiculous spoof of every shoot-em-up cop movie ever. We laughed like idiots watching it. Ready? It is Kung Fury. Thank me later.
__________________

__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #763
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I don't think this movie has been mentioned here yet.

We watched "The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies" and it was excellent. It is a British movie (based on a true story) about a retired schoolteacher who becomes a murder suspect and gets hounded by the media due to his odd mannerisms.

Highly recommended.
Looks good, added it to my list.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #764
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Looks good, added it to my list.
Wait...but not MINE? I sense movie snobbery at play here, Alan.
Go watch the Kung Fu movie...it is only 30 minutes!
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #765
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 22,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Go watch the Kung Fu movie...it is only 30 minutes!
I'm going to check it out
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #766
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I have a recommendation! But it is only for those who can appreciate a fantastically ridiculous spoof of every shoot-em-up cop movie ever. We laughed like idiots watching it. Ready? It is Kung Fury. Thank me later.
I'll always take a recommendation from Don, since I know he has the same (bad?) taste in movies that I do. And if you like it too that's even better. I'll check it out. Thanks.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #767
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wait...but not MINE? I sense movie snobbery at play here, Alan.
Go watch the Kung Fu movie...it is only 30 minutes!
Go on then, I've added it to my list
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #768
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 642
Streamable series: "The Heavy Water War", plenty of drama and suspense about the Norwegian Underground and Germany's attempt to build a bomb in the late days of WW2.
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #769
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Streamable series: "The Heavy Water War", plenty of drama and suspense about the Norwegian Underground and Germany's attempt to build a bomb in the late days of WW2.
I added that a few days ago but haven't started watching it so I'm pleased to hear that it is good.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #770
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 22,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I have a recommendation! But it is only for those who can appreciate a fantastically ridiculous spoof of every shoot-em-up cop movie ever. We laughed like idiots watching it. Ready? It is Kung Fury. Thank me later.
Watched it. Thank you!
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #771
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,213
We've liked Ripper Street. Set in a post Jack-the-Ripper London follows London detectives as they go after bad guys.

Spoiler: bad guys are caught.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #772
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 917
The experimentor


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #773
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
The experimentor


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Experimenter

FIFY
__________________
Boss2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #774
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 3,672
anyone seen retribution yet? wow!
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #775
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,105
I am watching Quirke, a three part miniseries based on the novels of John Banville. A dark thriller whose eponymous main character (Gabriel Byrne) is an alcoholic pathologist in repressed 1950s Dublin. Well acted, lots of gloomy atmosphere. I'm enjoying this, and am disappointed that there are only three 90 minute episodes, but it might not be of interest to a North American audience.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirke_(TV_series)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...12/quirke.html
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #776
Recycles dryer sheets
cooch96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wait...but not MINE? I sense movie snobbery at play here, Alan.
Go watch the Kung Fu movie...it is only 30 minutes!
30 minutes of distilled awesomeness.

I feel like an insider, since I saw it last smmer on YouTube. One of the American collaborators advertised it on Facebook to his followers.

Surprisingly, DW and many of my friends didn't appreciate it. Good to know there are others with exquisite taste.
__________________
Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #777
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
30 minutes of distilled awesomeness.

I feel like an insider, since I saw it last smmer on YouTube. One of the American collaborators advertised it on Facebook to his followers.

Surprisingly, DW and many of my friends didn't appreciate it. Good to know there are others with exquisite taste.
You are my people, cooch!
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #778
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 22,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
30 minutes of distilled awesomeness.

I feel like an insider, since I saw it last smmer on YouTube. One of the American collaborators advertised it on Facebook to his followers.

Surprisingly, DW and many of my friends didn't appreciate it. Good to know there are others with exquisite taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
You are my people, cooch!
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #779
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am watching Quirke, a three part miniseries based on the novels of John Banville. A dark thriller whose eponymous main character (Gabriel Byrne) is an alcoholic pathologist in repressed 1950s Dublin. Well acted, lots of gloomy atmosphere. I'm enjoying this, and am disappointed that there are only three 90 minute episodes, but it might not be of interest to a North American audience.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirke_(TV_series)

BBC - Major Anglo-Irish co-production brings John Banville?s acclaimed novels to BBC One - Media Centre
I watched it a while back and add my endorsement, I thought it was very good indeed. Don't watch it if you're feeling depressed
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #780
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
anyone seen retribution yet? wow!
Intense. Well acted. I intend to watch again.
__________________

__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gender (I'll show you mine, and you show me yours) Martha Forum Admin 34 06-27-2008 09:05 PM
I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours haha FIRE and Money 87 11-20-2004 01:53 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.