Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #801
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I'm curious about it, but I have read that a lot of folks had the intention of watching just one or two episodes and ended up binge watching the entire thing so I am going to wait until the DW is home in case it's THAT GOOD.
DW and I have watched the whole thing. It was great! Highly recommended. Scary monster movie with a huge homage to Spielberg.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #802
Recycles dryer sheets

I've only watched the first episode of Stranger Things, but definitely plan to watch all of it, for several reasons. First, I love these kinds of shows... mysterious, creepy, supernatural or sci-fi horror, etc. Second, some of the outdoor scenes where the kids are riding their bikes were filmed in the neighborhood where I grew up, right on the street where my childhood home is (and where my dad still lives)!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #803
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I've only watched the first episode of Stranger Things, but definitely plan to watch all of it, for several reasons. First, I love these kinds of shows... mysterious, creepy, supernatural or sci-fi horror, etc. Second, some of the outdoor scenes where the kids are riding their bikes were filmed in the neighborhood where I grew up, right on the street where my childhood home is (and where my dad still lives)!
I did read that much of it (maybe all?) Is filmed in Georgia (not much of a surprise these days). About a year ago, they shut down my Dad's street for a day to film a car chase. I sat out front watching and hoping it would be exciting, but not so much. I need to try and remember the movie...it should be coming out soon. It would be interesting to see how it looks after the magic of editing.

Funny too that it's supposed to be another state but I have read some folks post that there are references to Cartersville and the Etowah River in the show.

Roswell was crazy yesterday, they are filming a Netflix series that will star Jason Bateman.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #804
Recycles dryer sheets

Watched "The Big Short" last night on Netflix. Very good and well paced, and the movie makers made it easier to follow the complexities of the financial instruments than the book did.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #805
Recycles dryer sheets

Been watching "The Last Kingdom". If you like Vikings on History Channel and Game of Thrones on HBO, this has elements of each. Plus it gives you something to watch until the next season of either of those two shows starts. :-)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydog17 View Post
Watched "The Big Short" last night on Netflix. Very good and well paced, and the movie makers made it easier to follow the complexities of the financial instruments than the book did.
I liked it as well. The portrayal of the doc (Burry) was awesome!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #807
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Been watching "The Last Kingdom". If you like Vikings on History Channel and Game of Thrones on HBO, this has elements of each. Plus it gives you something to watch until the next season of either of those two shows starts. :-)
Finished up Episode 8 last night. Absolutely LOVED is. Actually preferred this over GOT ... Ended up Binge Watching The Last Kingdom in 2 nights Looks like they got the go ahead for Season #2, but it won't be coming out till 2017

I'm now in the midst of Stranger Things ... Its alright ... After 2 episodes, I'm still not really in to it, but we'll see.

Also plan to start the new Limitless series tonight!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #808

Thumbs down on Frankie and Grace.

Here's a list of what's new.
What's New on Netflix and What's Leaving in July 2016 | Digital Trends

Turner and Hooch is a really fine movie.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #809
Recycles dryer sheets

I really enjoyed Love, which Netflix has the first season of. A quirky gen-x love story with occasional bong rips - really hit home
Old 07-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #810

I haven't gone back to see if this has been mentioned, but we just finished Happy Valley and really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #811

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I'm curious about it, but I have read that a lot of folks had the intention of watching just one or two episodes and ended up binge watching the entire thing so I am going to wait until the DW is home in case it's THAT GOOD.
Yep, I came here to write about Stranger things, and it looks like a few folks here have already found it and enjoyed it. We started watching it two days ago and we are hooked! Wayward Pines was great (the way TV show "Lost" was, except that Wayward Pines actually placed some solid, explainable reasons behind their strangeness, while Lost had lots of bells and whistles of strangeness, but came short on the explainable occurrences.) and Stranger Things comes second to that. All good.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #812
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching Hell On Wheels right now. It's an AMC series, I think 73 episodes. Still on the first season and enjoying it. It's about building the railroad back in the 1800s. Not a historically accurate portrayal but enjoying the characters and the story.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Yep, I came here to write about Stranger things, and it looks like a few folks here have already found it and enjoyed it. We started watching it two days ago and we are hooked! Wayward Pines was great (the way TV show "Lost" was, except that Wayward Pines actually placed some solid, explainable reasons behind their strangeness, while Lost had lots of bells and whistles of strangeness, but came short on the explainable occurrences.) and Stranger Things comes second to that. All good.
Yep...I will say that "Stanger Things" has not disappointed. We are on episode 4 and will most likely finish it up this week. I watched one episode of "Love" and not sure about it...it's a maybe. I will give it one more episode to see if it's worth continuing. We are also enjoying "Catastrophe" (I think that is a Amazon one though) and when the DW is downstairs getting her workout on, I have been watching "Arrested Development"...an oldie but goodie!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #814
Moderator Emeritus

DH watched the second season of Bloodline and loved it. I had watched the first season which at least started on the light side (family and friends are to celebrate an anniversary, pretty Key West resort), but this one was just too dark for me. I see a third season has been ordered.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #815

Marco Polo Season 2
Costumes and Intrigue - what's not to like?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #816
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH watched the second season of Bloodline and loved it. I had watched the first season which at least started on the light side (family and friends are to celebrate an anniversary, pretty Key West resort), but this one was just too dark for me. I see a third season has been ordered.
Got started (Bloodline), but everybody's so freaked out it's hard to take!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #817
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Marco Polo Season 2
Costumes and Intrigue - what's not to like?
I really enjoyed the Singapore actor who played the evil Chinese chancellor Jai Sidao. And I could actually understand his English! Too bad he won't be back.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #818
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Ally;1758425]I haven't gone back to see if this has been mentioned, but we just finished Happy Valley and really enjoyed it.

+1 Watched the first 2 seasons. very good. the writer is planning a 3rd season but will be awhile. the bad guy in this series is the priest in grantchester. He is good.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #819

�������� for "Hell on Wheels." It's a great series; final episode just aired.

Also, �������� for "The Bridge" (original Danish version) and "The Night Manager". Too bad they're each just two seasons.

Just started watching "Penny Dreadful" and man is it dark! I like it but, it might not be for everyone.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #820
Give me a forum ...

I tried Penny Dreadful. Couldn't take it. DH looked at me like I was insane for making him watch 30 mins of it.