Netflix movie or show suggestion

Just finished Ozark. Weird. Engaging. We live in MO, and not all Lake Folk are like that (actually, none that I have ever met).

Just saw 'Darkest Hour' about Churchill during the beginning of WW2. Enjoyed it. It's all indoors. Almost no military scenes.

If you like this period you should see Dunkirk.

Part way through season three (I think) of Black Mirror. Quite good.

Wow, I find black Mirror awful. The episode about the PM who had to screw the pig to save a hostage was bad enough, but the others have been plain boring, imo.

Wow, I find black Mirror awful. The episode about the PM who had to screw the pig to save a hostage was bad enough, but the others have been plain boring, imo.

season 4 is particularly good

season 4 is particularly good

May give it another shot. I found most episodes had "messages" about today's world which is fine, but they were as subtle as a baseball bat to the head.
Re: the one about everybody getting likeability points and the message that we're all too caught up in social media.

May give it another shot. I found most episodes had "messages" about today's world which is fine, but they were as subtle as a baseball bat to the head.
Re: the one about everybody getting likeability points and the message that we're all too caught up in social media.

I didnt care much for that episode either.

I really enjoyed all of season 4 but for the star trek episode.

I watched the film "remember" again last night. what a great movie.

I agree the pig episode was a little disgusting but I enjoy this kind of show. Reminds me of Twilight Zone or Outer Limits.

Glitch Season 2 - It was OK. The first season was definitely better. Season 2 lost steam and it was more soap opera-ish.

Wanted - An Australian TV show with two female fugitives. It was kind of like watching Starsky and Hutch, but I enjoyed it.

Erased - A Japanese TV drama. I really enjoyed this. It's a sci-fi, but more drama than a sci-fi. There are no Japanese TV series on Netflix that I could sit through for more than a couple of episodes for before I got bored with them, but Erased kept my interest until the end, maybe because it had multiple elements to keep my interest - sci-fi superhero, crimes, child abuse, motherhood, bullying, how people deal with adversities, etc.

This Is Us - OMG, I know others have mentioned this show before, but I finally got to watch it. Totally addicting. I LOVED IT.\

Broachchurch, Paranoid, Doctor. Fosters, The Fall, Marcella - British shows are so good. (I don't do period dramas...) I tried Shetland a few times, but I gave up. Their English is too hard for me to understand, and the show didn't really grab me.

Last edited:
If you like this period you should see Dunkirk.

Thanks. I chose not to see Dunkirk, thinking it would just be another war movie, but I'll check out the reviews and see if there is plot, character development, good acting, historical facts, etc. I may have to get it on DVD at his point. It's gone from the 'big screens' at least for now.

Well, since my user name is Music Lover, I'll recommend a couple very good music documentaries:

Running Down A Dream - Tom Petty documentary
History of The Eagles

Well, since my user name is Music Lover, I'll recommend a couple very good music documentaries:

Running Down A Dream - Tom Petty documentary
History of The Eagles

If you're going there, I really enjoyed 20 Feet From Stardom as well as The Wrecking Crew. And thanks for reminding me about the genre. There are a bunch of others I'd like to watch.

If you're going there, I really enjoyed 20 Feet From Stardom as well as The Wrecking Crew. And thanks for reminding me about the genre. There are a bunch of others I'd like to watch.

I've seen The Wrecking Crew...and also watched Muscle Shoals which is along the same line. Another good one is Hired Gun, which is about the backup musicians that tour with the big name acts.

20 Feet From Stardom is on my "to watch" list, along with It Might Get Loud.

I've seen The Wrecking Crew...and also watched Muscle Shoals which is along the same line. Another good one is Hired Gun, which is about the backup musicians that tour with the big name acts.

20 Feet From Stardom is on my "to watch" list, along with It Might Get Loud.

Sound City is another good rockumentary.

If you missed the TV show 'Chuck' I think that is worth watching on Netflix.

Chuck works for "Buy More" and is an expert techy member of their Nerd Herd. He gets into trouble when he hooks up with a beautiful blonde who is some type of secret agent. Very funny!

Here’s an Amazon Prime suggestion . . . DW and I just finished 5 seasons of The Americans. It’s about a married couple, with two kids, living in Washington DC who are Soviet spies during the Cold War. Very intriguing and interesting series. Season 6 starts in March and will be the final season of the series.

Watched American Assassin last night, not too impressed. Like the Mitch Rapp books much better. First time I've seen Dylan O'Brien that I remember and didn't care for him playing Mitch. Maybe he's better in something else.

Avoid like plague: Tin Star on Amazon. I barely managed to watch the first episode. What a terrible waste of good actors and fantastic scenery in service of an amateurishly plotted miserably hackneyed script. The only thing missing is horns and barbed tails on the oil company employees.

Is there anything good that's NOT violent and dark? Seems like all the "highly-acclaimed" dramas are all about blood and gore, even if it's not graphic it's sometimes bad enough just hearing descriptions of the crimes.

I did like:

Doc Martin
Downton Abbey
Grace and Frankie (Amazon, and a new season starts in ten days!)
Kingdom (not sure if that was Netflix or Amazon, but it was abruptly canceled before the major story arc could be resolved)

Back
Top Bottom