Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't believe I just spent the last few weeks streaming a series from Yugoslavia called Kurt Seyit ve Sura. I'm even more surprised at how much I enjoyed the 46 episodes. It's set during and after the Russian revolution in Crimea, and later in Istanbul. It's based on a true story. It's a bit over dramatic with twists and turns, but was recommended to me by several people who also liked it.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #922

The Crown + Mad Men + Bond = Fleming, a BBC miniseries
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #923
Full time employment: Posting here.

Riphagen.

True story about a con man who pretended to be on both sides during the Nazi invasion of the Netherlands. He bilked Jews out of their valuables while promising them safe harbor to another country while at the same time collecting a finders fee for providing the names of the Jews to the Nazis. He was so despicable it seemed more like fiction.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #924
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ watched that - pretty sad

good movie tho
Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #925
Give me a forum ...

Last night I watched Nothing Sacred. Old movie, 1938. A lot of funny parts.

Check out this part here:

https://youtu.be/zokhwenDTbw?t=9m2s
Old 03-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #926
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Last night I watched Nothing Sacred. Old movie, 1938. A lot of funny parts.

Check out this part here:

https://youtu.be/zokhwenDTbw?t=9m2s
Watched a couple minutes, pretty funny in an off-beat way.

"Mind if I sit down?"

"Yep!"

Awkwardly... "Oh, you must have misunderstood me"

"Nope!"

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #927
Recycles dryer sheets

Last night I watched the clumsily-titled "I Don't Feel at Home in This World Any More". Good movie. Quirky for the most part before veering into a dark, sinister tone when the focus shifted to the bad guys.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #928

Netflix movie or show suggestion

I watched Sing Street and The Wailing last night. Both were good.

Sing Street is just a typical teen movie. School, parent, opposite sex angst but it's cute and takes place in the 80's and has 80's music and culture. Set in Ireland.

The Wailing is a Korean horror movie. It's somewhat scary. I had read not to read anything about it and watch it with another person to discuss it afterward. I didn't read anything and watched it alone. It wasn't until this morning that I figured out the ending so another person might have helped to decipher the ending quicker. It's subtitled.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #929

No Tomorrow - awkward, gorgeous Evie meets Connery-like astronomer Xavier who is rushing through his "always wanted to do list" because he's calculated an asteroid will soon slam into Earth. "The point is, we have to stop doing all the things that we feel obligated to do and start doing things that we want to do. That's why I made this. It's my apocalyst." We thought the pilot hilarious. Good show for couples. Thirteen episodes.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #930

The Queen of Katwe. A Disney film, and true story.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #931
Give me a forum ...

Some we have liked:

Versailles - palace intrigue during the early years of Louis IV (the Sun King)

Ones we are watching now and enjoying:

Father Brown - solves mysteries in an English village that seems to have murders regularly. Light and amusing.

North & South - a young woman and her family move to an English mill town. Cotton mills, worker conditions, realities of commerce, etc.

Ones I'm watch when DW is reading too much:

Better Call Saul (season 2) - starts getting a bit darker

Fleming - Ian Fleming's WW2 adventures prior to writing the James Bond stuff.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #932

Binge watch Shetland on Netflix ...
thoroughly enjoyed i think six or 8 episodes... great detective stuff.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #933
Gone but not forgotten

Just rediscovered one of the best documentaries on Netflix.

Inside Job

Here's the IMDB link:
Inside Job (2010) - IMDb

I occurred to me that many of the younger ER members may not have had exposure to the details of the 2007-2009 stock market disaster, as they may have been more in the "living mode", than the planning/saving mode.

This movie does a fantastic job of putting the pieces together. The corporations, the banks, the financial entities, insurance companies, government sponsored organizations (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac), government leaders in the financial sector, and even four US presidents... as well as government leaders and financial entities from all over the globe. A jigsaw puzzle that is hard to put together.

It's a no holds barred movie that we should all watch... not just once, but again and again... as a reminder of what happened, and as a warning (throughout the movie) that there is nothing in place to keep it from happening again.

This was not our finest moment. Looking at the story in retrospect, should give some perspective to see the market... not just as a whole, but as the sum of many parts that to date, have not been fixed.

My opinion only...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #934

I was dragged in to see "The Zookeeper's Wife" during a family visit. Prepared myself to be bored senseless, but I actually found it to be be riveting. I didn't actually enjoy it, but I was glad I saw it. (What?) The lead actress is a clone of Geena Davis and Eddie Redmayne. Good cinematography. Well paced.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 AM   #935
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Binge watch Shetland on Netflix ...
thoroughly enjoyed i think six or 8 episodes... great detective stuff.
Yep we really enjoyed it too.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #936

I just finished Anne with an E. I really enjoyed it and gather that it doesn't entirely follow the books Anne of Green Gables. The actress who plays Anne is delightful. I don't think it's geared to young children though as the books are.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #937

Just watched "The Exam" and really enjoyed it. Quite a different story line and never guessed where it was going. It's an excellent psycological thriller about the final eight candidates for a highly desirable corporate job are locked together in an exam room and given a test with one question. It seems simple yet confusing that soon, tensions begin to unravel. ( )
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #938
Moderator Emeritus

We watched the first episode of season 3 of Bloodline tonight. I found this show to be riveting the first season, hated the characters in the second season (DH watched most of it on his own) and now, just meh. It should have ended after the first season imo. Acting is fine but story line is too convoluted.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #939

Watched Woman in Gold last night. No doubt one of the best flicks we've seen this year.

Six decades after World War II, Jewish octogenarian Maria Altmann begins a quest to reclaim the artwork confiscated from her family by the Nazis -- including a famed Gustav Klimt masterpiece.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #940
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I just watched a 5 or 6 episode documentary on WWII.
It was well done, with lots of actual battle footage, showed some graphic stuff as that is what war is like.
The really neat nugget of info was how the Russian's used Pavlov's theory for warfare.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote