Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I saw most of the first 2 seasons. The real elections turned me off enough to not go back for more of HOC. Looks like I'm not the only one.

Watch the original British version. Much better, IMHO. And only 12 episodes long.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Watch the original British version. Much better, IMHO. And only 12 episodes long.
+1
Old 07-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #963
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I guess those were the days when quality was judged to be much more important then quantity.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #964
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Vexed has had us laughing and laughing, especially season 2. It's very non-PC. British.
Just watched season 1, which I got at the library. Outrageous! Thanks.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #965
Recycles dryer sheets

The Keepers is a very interesting/sad documentary series. Makes one wary of institutions.
LiveBelowMeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #966
Give me a forum ...

Here are a few we have liked:

Vexed - Comedy police procedural. So far season 2 (after watched a few) is better we think.

Flaked - Venice beach folks who have had some problems making it in life. Kind of like the "in" high school set that matured but missed out economically. Mild comedy.

Escape to the Country - This is a British show that features couples looking at their dream country houses in the UK. So if you've ever been curious about such a big move, this helps to show the real estate available (circa 2014) and pricing too as well as some of the realities. Also a bit about those cute country villages is thrown in.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #967
Give me a forum ...

https://www.giventhemovie.com/our-travels
Just watched Given on Netflix. Highly recommend this documentary movie about traveling the world.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #968
Give me a forum ...

Ozark is a new series on Netflix that I like....so far. I'm only 2 episodes in but it has my attention.

Ozark (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb
Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #969
Recycles dryer sheets

NetFlix has a new series out..... OZARK..... Pretty Good
Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #970

We just watched No Escape. It was a real nailbiter. The story is about a family caught in a coup in SE Asia.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Ozark is a new series on Netflix that I like....so far. I'm only 2 episodes in but it has my attention.

Ozark (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb
Agree. Finished it last night. Pretty good. Reminds me a bit of Breaking Bad but not quite as good.

Certainly didn't make me want to visit Lake of the Ozarks though.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #972
Give me a forum ...

+1 on Ozark. We have only seen two episodes, but I would recommend it and Jason Bateman does a damn good job playing the part.

Flaked was pretty good too, but I *think* it's labeled as a "comedy" which although there are some funny parts, it sure wasn't very funny to me.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #973
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree. Finished it last night. Pretty good. Reminds me a bit of Breaking Bad but not quite as good.

Certainly didn't make me want to visit Lake of the Ozarks though.
Lucky for you, most of it was filmed in the burbs of Atlanta (some folks are calling it Yallywood) at lakes Allatoona and Lanier.

Jason Bateman, Laura Linney star in Atlanta-based ‘Ozark’ on Netflix | Radio and TV Talk
Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Lucky for you, most of it was filmed in the burbs of Atlanta (some folks are calling it Yallywood) at lakes Allatoona and Lanier.

Jason Bateman, Laura Linney star in Atlanta-based ‘Ozark’ on Netflix | Radio and TV Talk
Thanks for setting me straight. Either way they didn't portray the location in a very favourable light.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #975
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Here are a few we have liked:

Vexed - Comedy police procedural. So far season 2 (after watched a few) is better we think.

Flaked - Venice beach folks who have had some problems making it in life. Kind of like the "in" high school set that matured but missed out economically. Mild comedy.

Escape to the Country - This is a British show that features couples looking at their dream country houses in the UK. So if you've ever been curious about such a big move, this helps to show the real estate available (circa 2014) and pricing too as well as some of the realities. Also a bit about those cute country villages is thrown in.

If you're still craving Escape to the Country after Netflix, there's a big stash on Dailymotion, a free service similar to YouTube. The show is far superior to House Hunters International. The searchers do not always find their dream homes, and there's much more attention paid to community and surroundings. I lived in the U.K. back in the mid-seventies; the Unindicted Co-Conspirator lived there in the early eighties, and as a result we're both rabid Anglophiles. We gaze at videos of the British landscape with the longing of kids with their noses pressed against the confectioner's window. Someday...
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #976
Recycles dryer sheets

It is an old movie but was recommended to me - The boy in the striped pajamas. 8 year old boy whose father is made commandant at a concentration camp. They move to a home next to the camp. Won't give an more away. A very moving and sad movie from a book by the same title.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #977

The Night Manager is a good story. Hugh Laurie is the bad guy. Tom Hiddleston is the good guy. Sort of James Bondish. CIA, gun running etc... Something like 8 episodes.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Netflix movie or show suggestion
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #978
Give me a forum ...

Netflix movie or show suggestion

Thank you (and you, andyou...) for the suggestion on Ozark. Have watched two episodes and the show has kept my interest all the way through. Bateman is perfect for this role.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #979

Watched 10 episodes of Ozark. Very good. I expect it to run for at least one more season. Good story, good acting.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #980
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fauda.
Israeli show about a squad hunting for a terrorist. Interesting that you can choose the audio language, but only the Hebrew speakers change-- the Arabic speakers stay in Arabic.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote