Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #81
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have started watching the original House of Cards (1990) on BBC iPlayer. It's devilishly good. Very sexist though.

Absolutely. It was set in the days before the "Blair Babes" arrived in Parliament

Blair Babe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #82
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Alan.. you'll get used to that. One of the greatest benefits of getting older.
For years I have been a TV scheduler's ideal customer in that I can't remember what I've seen before.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's why the Inspector Morse series is so good. There are so many DVD's in the series (something like 30) that by the time you have watched them all, you could just start over -- assuming you remember you were watching that series.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #84
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
That's why the Inspector Morse series is so good. There are so many DVD's in the series (something like 30) that by the time you have watched them all, you could just start over -- assuming you remember you were watching that series.
Yup, I've seen all those episodes several times and never remember whodunnit.

Some classic comedy series that are on Netflix streaming that I'm watching yet include

Fawlty Towers
Black Adder
Red Dwarf

and some more recent comedies I watch again and again....
Vicar of Dibley
Keeping up Appearances
The Office (British version - only ever made 2 series plus a couple of specials)
Old 03-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Girl Walks Into a Bar
Unusual and entertaining without explosions or special effects.
This trailer includes a link to the complete video on youtube.

GIRL WALKS INTO A BAR Official Trailer - YouTube
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Hey, thanks for the Big Man River suggestion! We really liked it, though it wasn't exactly the most flattering portrayal of the swimmer. Very interesting indeed!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

watching State of Play (BBC from 2003) again. Great thriller--very intelligent. Doesn't hurt that Bill Nighy is in it--I can watch him all day long.

Only on DVD from Netflix, not on streaming.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #88
Confused about dryer sheets

I didn't read everyone's posts, so if this is a repeat, please forgive. Sherlock, especially the first series is superb stuff.
JustXLNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Just discovered "Zen": another BBC production, but about an Italian detective in Rome. Actor is Rufus Sewell--what a cutie! Very understated and well-acted.

It's a little disconcerting in the same way the British version of Wallander is--to have British actors playing Swedish and Italian cops.

It's on DVD's only through Netflix, but I'm actually streaming it for free on Amazon Prime. It's interesting how the two services have different content available for streaming.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Done in the late 90's, Circles of Deceit (Netflix DVD), about a former British soldier doing domestic work for MI5 (I think that's the agency). The actor had appeared with John Thaw in Sweeney Todd way back in the 70's.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #91
Gone but not forgotten

Good to see this thread continues... Am using the suggestions.

A little off-topic, but there are literally thousands of free movies on UTube also. My problem, up until now has been knowing which ones. If you're not sure which movie you want to watch, there's no easy way to find a listing. Until now.

You might want to try Pegleg.it I'm not sure just how it works, but if you go to the website, a huge list of movies are downloaded to the page. (In my case, the download took forever, but after doing it once, it comes up whenever you go to the page, without a wait. (cached?) When you click on the movie you've selected, it Pegleg takes you direct to UTube. I've found that some of the movies have been removed... am guessing copyright issues, but most links are live, and work.

In the meantime, on Netflix... I enjoyed an old 1951 B&W film...
"The House on Telegraph Hill"
Old 05-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry if this has been recommended before, but I am loving Whitechapel from the BBC. Great detective stories and love the acting. The crimes can be a little gruesome, but thankfully not in your face the entire time.
Not available on streaming from Netflix, only on DVD's. Once again I'm watching instead on Amazon.
I'm beginning to pay closer attention to what's available on Amazon Prime streaming versus Netflix. I may get to the point where I quit my Netflix subscription if I can get what I want from Amazon for the Prime subscription fee. Maybe it's just my weird taste, but so much of what I like is only available on DVD's from Netflix. For people like me it seems Amazon has more streaming content available. Not all of it free by any means, but having to wait for DVD's from Netflix seems like kind of a pain. Funny--it used to be the greatest thing!!
I dropped cable two years ago. My 20 something sons think I'm cool like them.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
higly recommend it - it's a mockumentary about a porta-john plumber,
If you liked that you may enjoy Being John Malkovich. I don't really know how to categorize it other than strange.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

OK, for those with a Frankophile sensibility, try The Fairy. Watch The Fairy Online | Netflix

Netflix does it a disservice in it's synopsis. Husband and wife team directed and acted as the lead characters and they are charming. They are/were mimes, so much of the comedy is physical. Fionna, the wife, is as homely and utterly captivating and beautiful as can be, the husband reminds me of Roberto Benigni - a lot. Very reminiscent of the great Jacque Tati in feel.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Bottle Shock (If you like wine -true story, exactly captures Napa Valley in the min-1970's - I was there!)

One Week (if you need a light reminder of the value of life)
Malcolm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Just watched "touchback", heartwarmng drama,
perrytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #97
Gone but not forgotten

If you've been frustrated, looking for movies to watch, because of the huge selection, may I recommend this website?

instantwatcher.com - Streaming Movies and TV to watch instantly on Netflix

Not only does it list movies by year, but it also has several other included rating systems... a point system, NYT recommendations, Rotten Tomatoes, as well as a well defined listing of movies by genre. Most movie listings have commenatries and generalized plots or synopses.

The site is huge, and has opened my eyes to movies I've never heard of, as well as those that have been forgotten.

If you have netflix access, you need to have this website.
Endeavour on pbs
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Endeavour on pbs

Don't have TV so I couldn't watch it "live", but just finished all 4 Endeavour episodes on pbs.org (Masterpiece Mystery).

Highly recommend it to all you Inspector Morse fans out there. I liked it even more than Lewis!

Shaun Evans playing a young Morse is fantastic. And cute too!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #99
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I found Sherlock, the BBC series, very good. This one:

p.s. Oh, I just noticed that the thread title refers to movies. Well, each of the episodes is an hour and a half long -- so just consider them movies.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've watched several French movies (subtitled) in the last few weeks. I've enjoyed The Concert, The Intouchables, and Shall We Kiss. It's nice to be able to sit down to a movie and not have to worry about anything crashing or exploding. I think crashes and explosions must be prohibited in the French film industry.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote