Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #1121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Black sails is indeed fantastic. We haven’t watched season 4 yet.

But that is a STARZ program. I don’t think it’s available on Netflix?
It is indeed available on Netflix here in South America. I understand that we sometimes have different programming then you folks up North.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #1122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Surprised I’m saying this about “Lost in Space” but, this looks promising from the trailer.
I am getting the impression that they learned from the reboot of Battle Star Galactica. That reboot was much better than the original, IMHO.

The robot looks very cool.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #1123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
It is indeed available on Netflix here in South America. I understand that we sometimes have different programming then you folks up North.
Yep - STARZ holds onto their newer content for quite a while in the US
Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If you're going there, I really enjoyed 20 Feet From Stardom as well as The Wrecking Crew. And thanks for reminding me about the genre. There are a bunch of others I'd like to watch.
both of these were outstanding, imho.. there's also a doc about Muscle Shoals and the Swampers..

Muscle Shoals (2013) - Rotten Tomatoes
MUSCLE SHOALS is a documentary about a place filled with magic and music, legend and folklore, where the river is inhabited by a Native American spirit who has lured some of the greatest Rock and Roll and Soul legends of all time, and drawn from them some of the most uplifting, defiant, and important music ever ...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #1125

Season 2 of Occupied.

Halfway through and so far it’s been great.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #1126

Try Wild Wild Country documentary, what a hoot and it really happened. One of the interviewees is the son of the Nike founder. I was in my 20's when this happened but do not remember any of it. You get both sides of the story and it's pretty fascinating. Netflix

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #1127
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have enjoyed the three My Next Guest Letterman interviews: Obama, Clooney and Yousafzai. Clooney was the best.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #1128
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting new Netflix special called the Push, about how easily people bend their morals to social pressure.

New Netflix special Derren Brown: The Push orchestrates events against a supposedly unwitting subject, pushing him into higher and higher pressure situations until he arrives at a clarifying event: will he commit murder by pushing someone off a roof? But, of course, there’s a bigger question looming over all this: is The Push fake, or real?

The subject, Chris, begins as a charity gala guest, but soon finds himself helping to move a dead body. At every step, the request seems just on the edge of reasonable. If he’s already dead (of a heart attack), why interrupt the gala (it’s for a good cause after all)? Chris, like many of us, wants to be liked, wants to be reasonable, and acquiesces to increasingly absurd demands. Social pressure from an army of in-on-it actors pushes him to impersonate the dead person, manipulate the body like Weekend at Bernie’s, and then, in the climactic moment, nudges him towards murder when the dead person turns out not to be so dead after all.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Try Wild Wild Country documentary, what a hoot and it really happened. One of the interviewees is the son of the Nike founder. I was in my 20's when this happened but do not remember any of it. You get both sides of the story and it's pretty fascinating. Netflix

We just binged on that this week. What a story! In college I actually stayed at their hostel in Amsterdam. Their program wasn’t my cup of tea but they had nice (purple) futons, hot (private )showers and organic food, so we were quite happy.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Netflix movie or show suggestion
Old 04-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #1130

Netflix movie or show suggestion

Really enjoyed the Netflix documentary “Jim and Andy” about Jim Carey’s portrayal of Andy Kaufman in “Man on the Moon.”. It’s hard to say who is more interesting. I found Jim Carey’s commentary very moving and wise. This is a guy who was homeless in high school and worked hard to manifest every one of his showbiz dreams. Yet, he ended up in a surprising “place” that isn’t the myth that massive success like Carey’s is supposed to bring.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #1131
Give me a forum ...

Didn't know where else to place this, but we watched a library vid, primarily on Aleppo, Syria, (pre hostilities), a city I really enjoyed in 1963, last evening and thought I'd recommend Holly:

Holly Morris - The Official Globe Trekker Website

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #1132

The reboot of "Queer Eye" is really good, takes the concept a lot further than the original (but if you hated the original, this won't be for you).

DH just binged through "Terrace House" a japanese reality show that looks quite interesting.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #1133
Full time employment: Posting here.

not goingg thru all 57 pages, but we're watching Broadchurch = UK murder mystery. I will caution that they have marbles in their mouths !!!!!!
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #1134
Dryer sheet aficionado

Check out Mindhunter, Manhunt - Unabomber, Ozark and Bloodline. All are dramas (somewhat dark topics), but very well-written and addictive/bingeworthy. All are available on Netflix.

We also are currently enjoying The Ranch. Very funny, but also fairly raunchy. Sam Elliott is great at comedy (who knew?)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #1135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
not goingg thru all 57 pages, but we're watching Broadchurch = UK murder mystery. I will caution that they have marbles in their mouths !!!!!!
there are many UK murder mystery series that are very good, including broadchurch. 1 thing I found very helpful is to turn on the subtitles option to better understand what they are saying.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #1136

Just finished binging on Justified. That was a very good series and was wrapped up quite well in season 6. Thanks everyone who recommended it. It’s amazon prime, not Netflix.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #1137

Been very much enjoying a Spanish Netflix series called El Ministerio del Tiempo (The Ministry of Time). It's a Spanish time travel show that would appeal to history buffs and Dr. Who fans.

"""The Ministry of Time is the best kept secret of the Spanish state: an autonomous government institution that reports directly to the Prime Minister. Its patrols have to watch the doors of time so that no intruder from other eras can change history for their own benefit.

The series follows the assignments of the Ministry's newest patrol: the one formed by Army of Flanders soldier Alonso de Entrerríos, 19th century student Amelia Folch and 21st century Samur paramedic Julián Martínez."""
Old 04-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #1138
Give me a forum ...

Netflix is now 20 years old.
Amazing! I remember how great it was to get my first disk in the mail. WOW! No more being a prisoner of the local theaters movie schedule. And, there were all those other movies that I never knew about and/or never made it to my local theaters.

FWIW, I watched the first episode of Lost In Space - they really dragged it out.

If episode one is representative of the entire first seasons the only thing I can say is - Danger Will Robinson!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #1139
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Tabula Rasa and really liked it.
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #1140

Lady Dynamite. Season One was fairly funny. Season Two might have gotten too much into dealing with mental illness unintentionally along with the intentional addressing of depression. A little deeper than most sitcoms.