Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just watched a very funny French movie, Le Placard (The Closet) from 2001. A comedy of manners about a dull accountant who gets fired for lack of initiative. His neighbor suggests that he pretend to be gay so that the company (which manufactures condoms) will be afraid to fire him. Multiple people are affected by the consequences.....and there is an adorable kitten!

Le placard (2001) - IMDb

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Just watched a very funny French movie, Le Placard (The Closet) from 2001. A comedy of manners about a dull accountant who gets fired for lack of initiative. His neighbor suggests that he pretend to be gay so that the company (which manufactures condoms) will be afraid to fire him. Multiple people are affected by the consequences.....and there is an adorable kitten!

Le placard (2001) - IMDb
I watched that one a couple of weeks ago too. Very enjoyable!

Also: The Details, again a romantic comedy about a rather dull personality (but American). A relief from the usual manic characters in Boy meets Girl movies.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #103

The Great Queen Seondeok (2009 TV series)
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt1547606/

This is not for everyone, but if you have 62 free hours, enjoy sword play...
Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Le placard (2001) - IMDb
One of my all time favorites! Glad you liked it.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #105

Ran across this link which may be helpful to anyone searching for more information on Netflix titles:

instantwatcher.com - Streaming Movies and TV to watch instantly on Netflix
Old 09-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Because I like Elisabeth Moss in Mad Men, I watched Top of the Lake, a 7-part miniseries set in New Zealand. It's a dark detective story with some shocking conclusions. The acting is good, and the scenery is gorgeous, so it did keep me engaged. However I found the accents difficult to understand.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #107

Quote:
Because I like Elisabeth Moss in Mad Men, I watched Top of the Lake, a 7-part miniseries set in New Zealand. It's a dark detective story with some shocking conclusions. The acting is good, and the scenery is gorgeous, so it did keep me engaged. However I found the accents difficult to understand.
By coincidence I added this to my instant queue a few days ago, for the same reason. I'll look forward even more to watching it now
Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #108

We just watched Mud, the latest Matthew McConaughey movie. Admittedly, I rent his movies so I can see him without a shirt on, but DH seems to agree that they also have good plots.

This is a good movie! It is about these two Arkansas boys of 14, who find and befriend Mud, a fugitive living on a deserted island. There are good guys, bad guys, and life lessons for the boys and for their new friend.

And he took his shirt off.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #109

I see that they added Inspector Morse recently. Just the first series for now. I have been enjoying Endeavour on PBS Masterpiece, which is based on a very young Morse before he made Inspector.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #110

Re-watched Babbette's Feast the other day. Still good :-)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Elizabeth Moss is awesome in this show. The entire show is a bit different, but I enjoyed it.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #112

Saw Mud at the theatre, really interesting film and he really nails a really hard role, could easily have come apart. DW liked it not sure if it was the acting or just the shirtless show. If itson Netflix I would highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We just watched Mud, the latest Matthew McConaughey movie. Admittedly, I rent his movies so I can see him without a shirt on, but DH seems to agree that they also have good plots.

This is a good movie! It is about these two Arkansas boys of 14, who find and befriend Mud, a fugitive living on a deserted island. There are good guys, bad guys, and life lessons for the boys and for their new friend.

And he took his shirt off.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Saw Mud at the theatre, really interesting film and he really nails a really hard role, could easily have come apart. DW liked it not sure if it was the acting or just the shirtless show. If itson Netflix I would highly recommend it.
It did come from Netflix, and I'm sure your DW was only looking at the shirtless scenes because they were dramatic moments in the plot!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

We watched Mud last night and liked it. The underlying theme is an ancient one of what is love and commitment.

Thanks to those who recommended it.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We watched Mud last night and liked it. The underlying theme is an ancient one of what is love and commitment. Thanks to those who recommended it.
Glad you liked it, too. I'm not much of a movie person but I found myself thinking about the movie for some time after watching it, and agree that the theme is timeless.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #116

If you like English detective mysteries then you may like the series Vera, set close to my neck of the woods, Northumberland coast, NE England. Each episode is about 90 minutes and is complete in itself, and features a homicide detective, Vera, and her team.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Does anybody know how to get Netflix to automatically tell you when you have seen a previous movie?

The only way I know to do this is to go to the account shipping activity, select complete history, then do a search. Any better way? Wouldn't you think Netflix would warn a user if they've already seen the movie (maybe a year ago)?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #118

I think you can see if you've rated it, which would suggest that you've seen it. Otherwise it gives a "best guess" of if you'd like it.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I think you can see if you've rated it, which would suggest that you've seen it. Otherwise it gives a "best guess" of if you'd like it.
This is how I know if I've seen a movie or program before.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If you like English detective mysteries then you may like the series Vera, set close to my neck of the woods, Northumberland coast, NE England. Each episode is about 90 minutes and is complete in itself, and features a homicide detective, Vera, and her team.
There are two Wallender series (detective/police) on Netflix. One is English, and one is Swedish with subtitles. I enjoyed both very much.